Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Australia, NZ finding free/cheap flights

Old Jul 12, 03, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

I have free flights from the US to and from New Zealand, and need flights from NZ to Australia, around Australia, and back to NZ. Qantas seems pretty stingy with freeflights. Where am I likely to find free (mileage) or cheap flights? (I have miles in Amex Membership Rewards and Starwood for flexibility).
Old Jul 12, 03, 8:18 pm

For free flights from NZ-OZ - you can try Air NZ through Starwood - it is 50,000 points for AKL-SYD in business (note that the flight is only about US$300 return economy) BUT you get 2:1 starwood with a 25% bonus at 20,000 starwood points. So 20,000 starwood points = 50,000 Air NZ points.

As for within Oz, try the red-e-deals at www.qantas.com.au - SYD - BNE costs about US$50 each way or www.virginblue.com.au might yeild about US$45 each way but no miles.

Otherwise you can do a Starwood - Qantas conversion (1:1 with 25% bonus) and for 20,000 Qantas miles do SYD - BNE return but I think it is cheaper to pay and get the miles from the flight than transfer Starwood to Qantas.
Old Jul 13, 03, 6:49 am

I would just buy a cheap fare, try www.travel.co.nz you can get flights for around NZ$350 (about A$310 or US$200 or so) round trip on Lan Chile. Lots of competition on this route now, AKL-SYD, Air NZ, Qantas, Thai, Lan Chile, Royal Brunei (BNE-AKL soon), Emirates, Tongan, Polynesian, Freedom Air (not AKL though).
Old Jul 13, 03, 7:28 pm

Hey all, I just stumbled upon this thread, and great thing I did! I'm going to OZ/NZ around Xmas time, and need to book some cheap flights from SYD-Cairns-Melbourne-Wellington-Auckland.

The sites given by all of you are great for getting around in OZ and NZ (especially virginblue - Qantas is pretty pricey), but I can't find a good site for booking the Melbourne-Wellington leg - Travel.co.nz only allows flights originating in NZ. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Mark
Old Jul 13, 03, 8:13 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Berger:
I can't find a good site for booking the Melbourne-Wellington leg - Travel.co.nz only allows flights originating in NZ. Any ideas?
</font>
Try these:
www.travel.com.au
www.bestflights.com.au

Old Jul 13, 03, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Mark (Berger) -
It looks like we'll be there together - we're booked JFK-LAX-Auckland through Tahiti over Xmas. Can't wait. As plans firm up, lets post where we find good flights - Cairns to Auckland looks like an impossibility on first go round.
Old Jul 14, 03, 5:09 pm
Original Member

Emirates has some great specials on the SYD/MEL-AKL routes at the moment.
Old Jul 17, 03, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

I've looked at the suggested sites (thanks), but I'm trying to find one site to book tickets from NZ to Australia, within Australia, and back to NZ, so I can be sure all tickets can be obtained before I commit to some. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old Jul 17, 03, 10:10 pm

If you contact www.Flightcentre.com.au they will be able to beat the flights quoted online for international by $20.

You may get slightly better rates from http://www.zuji.com.au - could be worth a look at too.
Old Jul 18, 03, 5:23 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Don't expect too much from QF in popular times. They are very profitable (except the current period) and intend to stay that way! If you do find a bargain fare (or free one), you can guarantee it'll either be when you DON'T want to fly or 'coz you booked it 12 months in advance.

Search this Thread