FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   Which airline FF program lets you fly from mainland to Kauai or Maui instead of HNL? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/8402-airline-ff-program-lets-you-fly-mainland-kauai-maui-instead-hnl.html)

Tomato Jul 12, 2003 8:35 am

Which airline FF program lets you fly from mainland to Kauai or Maui instead of HNL?

I would prefer not to go to Honolulu. Are there any airline FF programs that allow an award seat on a flight from the mainland to Kauai or Maui instead of HNL? What about open jaw: Mainland to Kauai, Maui to Mainland?

Renard Jul 12, 2003 8:40 am

Try United Airlines. I believe they have non-stops from the mainland to places in Hawaii other than Maui and HNL. Also I bet Hawaiian Airlines would have flights from the west coast to these places.

channa Jul 12, 2003 8:40 am

UA and AA.

DL and CO serve OGG but not LIH.

I believe NW serves only HNL but will allow you to connect in HNL to another island for no additional miles.

Edited to correct LIH

[This message has been edited by channa (edited 07-13-2003).]

CountinPlaces Jul 12, 2003 8:50 am

Welcome Tomato.

This kind of question really belongs in travel buzz or you can inquire of a specific airline.

As for the above poster who says that Delta does not serve HNL, you are incorrect.

UpgradeMe Jul 12, 2003 9:12 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by channa:

DL and CO serve OGG but not HNL.
</font>
And of course CO flies to HNL too.

coplatua1k Jul 12, 2003 9:20 am

Aloha and Hawaiian also! If you are going Y I'd choose Aloha if F I'd choose Hawaiian.

gleff Jul 12, 2003 9:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CountinPlaces:
This kind of question really belongs in travel buzz</font>
I do note that the question was about award seats. There was a second question about which award tickets permit open jaws with Hawaii.

Gary

slippahs Jul 12, 2003 2:46 pm

The responses above seemed a bit scattered, so here's a condensed list of airlines offering FF programs serving LIH and OGG.

Flights from Mainland to Kahului, Maui:
Air Canada
Aloha Airlines
American Airlines
ATA
Continental Airlines
Delta Airlines
Hawaiian Airlines
United Airlines

Flights to Lihue, Kauai from Mainland:
ATA
Aloha Airlines
American Airlines
Hawaiian Airlines
United Airlines

Flights to HNL served by airlines not listed above:
Northwest Airlines

Check with the airlines about the open-jaw.

Tomato Jul 12, 2003 3:05 pm

Thanks for all of your replies. The reason I asked the question is because while I have a zillion America West FF miles, if I use them to go to Hawaii (on Hawaiian Airlines)I can only go to Honolulu on their award ticket. I really want to go to Kauai and Mauai and would rather skip HNL altogether. I also have FF miles building in other airline accounts and was wondering if they have similar restrictions re: what islands in Hawaii I can fly to direct from the Mainland.

simba_az Jul 12, 2003 3:19 pm

America West will let you use miles to fly from the mainland to Kauai and Maui (and Kona, Hilo, Lanai, Molokai) for an additional 5k miles each way coach 10k miles each way first class, although you do have to connect through HNL.

https://www.americawest.com/flightfu...edeemmiles.htm

LIH Prem Jul 12, 2003 8:50 pm

While Aloha does have an Oakland - Lihue, Kauai nonstop, Hawaiian does not have any mainland - Kauai nonstop flights. You have to go through Maui and/or Honolulu with Hawaiian.

-David

FlyerGoldII Jul 12, 2003 9:11 pm

Which airlines have a direct non-stop mainland to Kona routes?

WhoME Jul 13, 2003 9:32 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyerGoldII:
Which airlines have a direct non-stop mainland to Kona routes?</font>
AQ (Aloha) from SNA, OAK, and YVR
AA from LAX
UA from DEN, LAX, and SFO

Others?

Mike

pinniped Jul 17, 2003 7:41 am

Both United and American allow open jaws within the islands in addition to a stopover at a hub on the mainland. (Other airlines probably do too.)

Last year, I flew AA into Maui, out of Kona, stopover weekend in Chicago. Paid $49(!) for a OGG-KOA nonstop (or could have used 5,000 miles).

This year, I flew UA into Lihue, out of HNL, stopover weekend in Denver. Used 5,000 miles for LIH-HNL (or could have paid $80).

Only restriction is that you can't use your stopover in HNL. On the UA trip above, we spent 6 nights on Oahu, and there was no way to get around having to get a separate LIH-HNL ticket.

We always use the mainland stopover with award seats: it's one of the few unique perks left with a basic 35,000 mile award ticket. Next trip will be back to Maui with a few days in Northern Cal.

UNITED959 Jul 17, 2003 1:48 pm

Pick UA. Better aircraft selection, and better connection choices to the rest of the world from SFO and LAX.