Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Unhappy with the security lines at BWI Concourse D? It's USAirways fault

Old Jul 14, 03, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater

I have made a couple posts here and there about the rather nasty security processing issues at BWI...with more airlines being moved to concourse D to accomodate the concourse C renovations, the lines are getting longer and longer.

One of the key issues with this problem is there being no First Class/Elite security line at D, while there is one at C. Many of us who fly NW or CO out of BWI recently have had our security processing times go from a few moments to over 45 minutes because of the concourse swap.

Yesterday, arriving at BWI for my 6P departure, I discussed the issue with the supervising agent who acknowledged it was a problem and told me the reason; apparently, USAirways is the primary leaseholder for that concourse, so they set the rules for the security checkpoint. The other carriers asked for an Elite line, but USAirways refused and wont allow one...given the nasty ways they treat their own Elite/FC passengers, it's no wonder.

The agent wasn't sure if it was because USAirways wanted to be difficult and inconvenience the other carriers' customers, or it was suspected that the TSA didn't want to deal with an Elite line, and coerced/pressured USAirways to veto it.

Either way, the line at 5P yesterday stretched down one corridor, around a corner, down another corridor, around another corner, and all the way down to the International terminal! Needless to say, I was not amused...I dont care if the line moves fast...there is no reason why sour grapes or politics should preclude an Elite line in one concourse but not another. You should have seen some of the faces on the passengers as they arrived and were dispatched to the end of the line, almost 100 yards away.

So...given the tenacity of the FT audience to grab an issue by the horns and run with it, I am calling on my fellow Flyertalkers who have to suffer through this mess at BWI to rally to arms and vent your frustration and anger at USAirways...both their HQ and the BWI station manager. This goes for USAirways customers, as well as other airline customers too.

There is no logic in their decision to prevent an Elite security line, except to be difficult, and if it's the TSA whining about it, then USAirways needs to over-ride them.

Hopefully with enough heat from the frequent flyer community, we can get a shorter security path at concourse D quickly.
Old Jul 14, 03, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Since this subject really isn't about miles and points, it probably isn't appropriate for MilesBuzz.

I'm going to move it to the Travel Safety/Security forum. Please follow the discussion there.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz and Delta moderator

Search this Thread