Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:23 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by aaron1262
well i really don't think that it makes a difference that you live in the midwest. the first order usually takes a long time. currently im still getting turnaround of about a week even less.
Not a first order. Been ordering since op's original post and have many posts in this thread. Our post was for information purposes/another data point.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:33 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Originally Posted by darkhunter
We been paying in full as well, but there was little to no activity on the card, so maybe the "out of no where" 2500 purchase was weird to them.
if this is true..wonder why they haven't flagged my card yet. i only have a CC limit of 2k since my im a college student and my credit history is quite new. i've bought enough coins to nearly get the 15K bonus miles on *wood credit card. im sure they would find it quite weird that i have nearly no income besides my part time job which probably only nets me less than 10K a year. ahh the things we do for miles.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 8:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Eurosport
regarding your quarters, i would not ship them back since you're not short any $, just take them to a different bank, Bank of America takes bags with coins unrolled all the time, as long as they have a merchant teller window, they'll take them. Thing with banks it's all branch by branch case basis, if one didn't want to take them, another one down the block might with no questions asked.
gl
Thanks for the suggestion.

I thought about BOA, but some have reported BOA will count them all with the not-so-accurate coin-counting machines, or weighted the dollar coins and ended up with 74 cents less. I don't want to go through the hassle AND lose out on any value. The principle of this game is to cost nothing.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
Originally Posted by buschoi
Thanks for the suggestion.

I thought about BOA, but some have reported BOA will count them all with the not-so-accurate coin-counting machines, or weighted the dollar coins and ended up with 74 cents less. I don't want to go through the hassle AND lose out on any value. The principle of this game is to cost nothing.
As a former BOA manager - let me tell you the measurements are extremely accurate. Yes there is the 1 out of 10,000 that may miss a quarter. But those machines cost thousands of dollars and have an unbelievable level of calibration. I would take a machine over human counting any day of the week.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:07 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Eryeal
As a former BOA manager - let me tell you the measurements are extremely accurate. Yes there is the 1 out of 10,000 that may miss a quarter. But those machines cost thousands of dollars and have an unbelievable level of calibration. I would take a machine over human counting any day of the week.
Alright, not that I don't want to trust the work of the machines that cost thousands of dollars. I just want to avoid argument like these:

Originally Posted by thehawk75
On a $5000 deposit they accepted and gave me a receipt for (and credit to my account), a week later they debited $57.34 from my account. What was amusing was that with a straight face they said 'your $5000 deposit in $1 coins was determined to be $57.34 short of $5000', to which I had to ask 'how does a deposit in $1 coins only end up short a denomination of 34 cents?' Later the teller admitted that the coins are in fact NOT counted, but, weighed. Apparently their scales said I was short 57.34 coins

End of story, they gave me back the $57.34 they tried to take, but, this makes me very hesitant to deposit with B of A any more (or at least large amounts).
Originally Posted by gpapadop
To those with Bank of America accounts:

B of A changed its policy and now require the coins to be placed in a coin bag which is sent to be counted. So, it can take a few days for the deposit to appear in your account. And breaking the rolls and placing the coins in the bag takes some time. So doing this a couple of times was worth the effort. Until today I got a nasty surprise. I was waiting to see another $750 deposit show up in my account and, to my surprise, I saw only $747!! I am sure they have disclaimer language that what was counted was deposited. I know I placed all the darn coins in the stupid bag, therefore some employee treated him/herself to 3 shiny Native American $1 coins. I am going to stop in my branch today to complain about this and for charging me $12 fee in my business account when I maintained the minimum balance....These guys are out to repay the TARP money so they can treat themselves to more bonuses. Depending on the response, maybe it is time to go with a local bank..

So beware!
Old Jun 11, 2009, 4:28 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by aaron1262
if this is true..wonder why they haven't flagged my card yet. i only have a CC limit of 2k since my im a college student and my credit history is quite new. i've bought enough coins to nearly get the 15K bonus miles on *wood credit card. im sure they would find it quite weird that i have nearly no income besides my part time job which probably only nets me less than 10K a year. ahh the things we do for miles.
I doubt Amex is going to focus on a new card with a limit as low as $2,000. That is close to the minimum for an Amex card and it poses only a minimal dollar risk. They are more worried about cards with a $25,000+ limit.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I received $1500 in quarters, in 6 bags, each with $250 of quarters.

I tried to take them to Wells Fargo. I was nicely asked to roll them all, and the teller jokingly told me to watch a lot of movies while rolling them. grrrrr....
Does anyone know how long that CFR/CNR form will arrive in the mail, and how long will the Mint take to refund the return shipping charge?

Another order was shipped today, for $500 of NA coins. UPS tracking shows the package weighted 133.90lbs. I wish it's just a typo; I don't want to deal with $500 of pennies!
Well, this certainly makes me want to be done with this whole process. I hope, sorry to say, that you're the only one with this problem.

But another idea, if the Mint won't pickup the coins, is to call your credit card company. They didn't ship you the merchandise you ordered, so they need to collect the merchandise at their expense. Granted, if you do this, it'll likely be your last order with the Mint.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 1:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: San Diego, CA , 4.2MM+ AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
The bank called the police on my friend for depositing coins

I told a friend in Ohio about the circulating coin program and he placed his first order. Here is his first depositing experience:

"OK, I got the coins in today.

I took them to the branch that is in the same Krogers that is in the shopping center. They told me that they didn't have space to take them. So they sent me to the branch that is across the street. When I got there my personal banker met me in the parking lot but they don't have a walk in vault so they couldn't take them either.

The branch manager made a few calls and told me that the branch that was about 2 miles down the street would be able to take them. They gave me the persons name (Jim) that I needed to talk to.

Upon arriving at the bank, Jim directed me where to put the coins. While they did need them in rolls, they had to have all the boxes opened so they could count the number of rolls.

After we got done with this and I got my reciept the branch manager took me aside. She indicated that this was an unusual transaction and that it raised a red flag. There policy was to contact the local police. 3 plain close officers from the Dublin, Ohio police dept were waiting to talk with me in the managers office.

They asked me why I was depositing so many coins. I told them about the rewards program and that my deposit today would gain me $150 of free legal money. They then asked the manager about signing up for the Chase Reward card so they too could get free $$$."

My response to him was that I hope he got referral credit from Chase for the officer's new cards!
Old Jun 11, 2009, 3:13 pm

The police???!

Glad to hear that the cops were friendly after all that, but I would go above the bank manager's head and find out if this is truly bank policy. You should consider filing a complaint with the state of Ohio, or maybe even the federal banking regulator.

It is absurd and obscene. They know you. You have an account. You deposited the coins into your account. This isn't check kiting. It is a cash deposit!! Would they have done the same thing if you had bills: $20s, $50s & $100s? If the answer is yes then that bank shouldn't be in business.

If 5k in dollar coins disappears from a local business they know where to find you. The police should charge the bank for the officers' time.

Beyond ridiculous.

(I know it was your friend, but just think of "you" as third-person plural...)
Old Jun 11, 2009, 3:18 pm

Yes, and when the machines are not functioning properly (mis-calibrated or have a misfunctioning part) they are guaranteed to mis-count. We lost $3 on a $500 deposit, the teller told us the machine wasn't counting correctly, and because the coins went into one big bag the bank had no way to know for sure if it was we that were shorted. And it was at the threshold where it wasn't worth our time pursuing the issue as the bank asst. mgr. said he "had to go with the machine count, end of story..."
Old Jun 11, 2009, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
Alright, not that I don't want to trust the work of the machines that cost thousands of dollars. I just want to avoid argument like these:
BOA never changed their policy on needing coins to be unwrapped and in a bag.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 4:17 pm

I don't think I have ever mentioned anywhere on BOA's policy being changed?
Old Jun 11, 2009, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
The police???!

Glad to hear that the cops were friendly after all that, but I would go above the bank manager's head and find out if this is truly bank policy. You should consider filing a complaint with the state of Ohio, or maybe even the federal banking regulator.

It is absurd and obscene. They know you. You have an account. You deposited the coins into your account. This isn't check kiting. It is a cash deposit!! Would they have done the same thing if you had bills: $20s, $50s & $100s? If the answer is yes then that bank shouldn't be in business.

If 5k in dollar coins disappears from a local business they know where to find you. The police should charge the bank for the officers' time.

Beyond ridiculous.

(I know it was your friend, but just think of "you" as third-person plural...)
I agree. The friend opened the boxes in the bank, probably right in the face of the manager or the teller when he was asked, with the packing slip still inside saying it's shipped by the United States Mint. Was the manager really thinking the United States Mint was money laundering or what? Where did common sense go for that "manager"?

The fact that the first two banks did not have room to keep the few thousands dollars of coins also bothers me. Did they just handle 20 of us minutes ago that brought in loads of coins?
Old Jun 11, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Party over?

I am starting to get funny looks and some outright refusals to take the coins. They "don't have room." They want me to go to a bigger branch. I am reducing the amounts of the deposits to under $1000 a pop.
I think this party will be over soon.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, HH Dia, yadda, yadda....

BOA must not have a uniform policy. I have been depositing $1K at a time at several BOA branches in 2 cities (actually 2 states) without any problem. They ask that the boxes be opened but the rolls are always accepted as is. I can certainly understand the open box requirement - they need to make sure that there isn't a brick in there. I've even deposited at relatively small branches and have not had a problem. Either I am lucky or the issues are an exception rather than the rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.