Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does your spouse/S.O share your passion for travel and addiction to miles/points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does your spouse/S.O share your passion for travel and addiction to miles/points

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2003, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
NO, but Mrs. Sosmart just did a run with me, and on the way back, it was all F for her. She's still convinced that I'm crazy, but defitely sees the benefits of my sickness.
Old May 22, 2003, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Fishbait - you and I are sisters! While my husband was working (he is now retired), I managed his accounts and had him on mileage runs before they were the talk of Flyertalk. Now we go together! He did gripe some when I would recite all the rules of his business trips but he sure likes free travel! We proudly display our Flyertalk luggage tags and attend many of the gatherings, esp the first and greatest PIP! We will be at the next PIP also! Our family went to the Hilton Waikoloa for a reunion last July - all miles and points.
Old May 22, 2003, 6:19 pm

I'm obsessed with points and miles, Mr. slpflyer is obsessed with ebay and (race)cars, so he's not about to complain.....except for when for silver medallion with Delta expired at the end of Feb. He still honestly believes I can get it back for him! If only he would read a Delta thread or two!
Old May 22, 2003, 10:54 pm

My husband is very tolerant as he gets the perks of my labor. He doesn't want the details of all the promotions. He did look over my shoulder once or twice to make sure I wasn't lured to the naughty sites since I was I was spending so much time on the computer.

Last summer was the topper when we stayed in 3 hamiton inns in a row. He caught on quick and said "miles or points" and "which one of us pays tonight?"

Of course we used our benefits at the HWV for some r and r
Old May 23, 2003, 2:01 pm
vandykes44

My husband is supportive of my FT habit, however, he's not always crazy about moving from hotel to hotel when I'm trying to fulfill the requirements of a promotion. And he dutifully asks which credit card he's supposed to use. Occasionally he comments that I should find another "hobby," yet he enjoys the fruits of my labors. I guess I'll keep him.

Old May 23, 2003, 6:11 pm

I can stop any time I want to - Honest
Old May 23, 2003, 7:30 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Last night I informed Mr. lili that the day after the Dipsea, our son and I are dropping him at OAK for his Southwest return to SAN, then driving straight to SFO for our flight to BKK.

He just laughed. I think that means he's catching on.
Old May 23, 2003, 9:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FC_Dave:
I can stop any time I want to - Honest</font>

Sure you can. Me too.
Old May 25, 2003, 5:31 pm

I think that it is great that so many ladies are here. With all of us having handles of some sort, its often hard to tell. I imagined that 99.9% of us would be men - glad to be wrong.

I echo all the comments previously made. My wife isn't too keen on this type of thing and cannot see the point of a MR. But, like so many SO's of us all, loves the lounge, the upgrades, the points, the service etc etc

It's all a bit of fun !
Old May 25, 2003, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, US Air Gold, Starwood Platinum
Hubbie thinks I am decadent capitalist pig--and backs up his opinion by turning down my ability to upgrade him along with me (US CP) and insisting instead on flying coach--even to Europe!

I tell him that in my marriage vows I pledged to "love and honor" him--but sure as hell not to fly coach when I don't have to!

Dear Abby, here's my question: can such an "inter-cabin" marriage survive?
Old May 25, 2003, 9:40 pm
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by woolfcross:
Hubbie thinks I am decadent capitalist pig--and backs up his opinion by turning down my ability to upgrade him along with me (US CP) and insisting instead on flying coach--even to Europe!

I tell him that in my marriage vows I pledged to "love and honor" him--but sure as hell not to fly coach when I don't have to!

Dear Abby, here's my question: can such an "inter-cabin" marriage survive?
</font>
Your marriage is doomed.
Old May 26, 2003, 8:44 pm

I hope not because my husband feels the same way. Says he can't tell the difference between BC & C. So he can fly coach if he wants. Fine with me. See him when we get there.

Old May 26, 2003, 11:01 pm

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
My apologies for not reviewing all prior posts on this subject.

My ex-wife absolutely did not understand my penchant for traveling, despite the fact that each year I tried to include her as often in my travels as she would allow which, unfortunately, wasn't often, as she was mainly a stay-at-home type person.

My current significant other has been a little more tolerant, even joining me on a couple of 8-flight weekend jaunts, but she is still far from being a convert. But she has been enough of a trooper to at least attain Premier on United the last two years. By doing so, she has accumulated over 80,000 flight miles.

Absolutely none of my friends or coworkers share my passion for travel, with all of them being the type of traveler who would prefer to travel COS-SEA on just two flights, rather than the round-about-route I usually fly though southern California. At the same time they don't hesitate to tap my travel knowledge, which is OK by me.
Old May 27, 2003, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Well, the travel/mileage addiction might have something to do with no S.O./wife, as I didn't find the latter before finding the former. But the former made the mostly non-traveling day job seem like a big impediment to further mileage runs and travel, so I went off on what was supposed to be a one-year sabbatical that has been stretched again and again.

That has meant very tight funds, which is a definite turn-off to potential mates. Moving back with parents also doesn't tend to go over well, even when you're on the road half or more of the time. And I guess if they're looking for someone "stable," you're not it. Yet going back to the 3-weeks-a-year vacations and overwork culture seems like a sentence.
Old May 27, 2003, 12:52 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I don't have a spouse/SO. I generally go to Europe (last year it was Asia) for a few days. When I ask for one vacation day (I get alternate Fridays off) that is near a holiday, my boss nicely asks me "which country" I am traveling to.

I just got back from Amsterdam. I was going to spend all day in Philly & 3 days in AMS. Well, a nice bump offer came (600 reasons to take it ) and I spent an extra day in Philly. I made Chairman's with this trip. Getting a decent hotel room & a couple of meal vouchers was icing on the cake. I did alot in my two days in AMS & can't wait to go on another trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.