Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Mileage for Debit Card Purchases

Old May 9, 03, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Can anyone tell me the best card for earning miles with debit card purchases. I am interested in finding a card that allows the opportunity to earn unlimited miles for debit card transactions.

Thanks for your advice.
Old May 9, 03, 3:28 pm
CMW

My thought is that it depends upon the FF program for which you are interested in earning the miles. The usual debit card earns 1 mile for each $2 spent. Most have annual caps but that is waived sometimes if you hold elite status for that airline. Usually there is an annual fee for Mileage Earning debit cards as well. In addition, PIN based transactions are excluded I believe.

You might want to check Gary Steiger's website. Check under the finance section for debit cards.

http://home.earthlink.net/~pgary/MilesFrame.html

I assume you have reasons for wanting to use a debit card rather than a CC, but the earning ratio is usually better with the CC since you will probably incur an annual fee anyway.
Old May 10, 03, 2:06 am

I think the key word in the original question, though, is unlimited. I'm not sure if any of the cards have an unlimited amount of earning potential - most of them, I believe, have a cap on the number of miles allowed each year.

Mike
Old May 10, 03, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Mike -

Do the debit card companies waive the limitation on miles earned per year if you have status on the particular airline?
Old May 10, 03, 12:23 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat - 2MM miles
Citibank offers a Citi AAdvantage debit card that earns AA miles.

There are two levels:
Basic: Get 2,000 bonus miles when you sign up.3 Then earn 1 mile for every $2 you spend, up to 60,000 miles each calendar year.4 Annual Fee: $25
Premium: Get 4,000 bonus miles when you sign up.3 Then earn 1 mile for every $1 you spend, up to 100,000 miles each calendar year.4 Annual fee: $65

I'm pretty sure that the mileage caps are waived if you have elite status with AA.

Miles are only on signature-based transactions.

------------------
http://www.benjaminwagner.com
Great music!
Old May 10, 03, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
The cap is eliminated if you have status on AA just like it is with the credit card. I think they waive the fee if you already have a citibank AA credit card. It has to be used as a credit card in order to get miles, but it comes out of your linked bank account.

------------------
Ms.DtG
Old May 10, 03, 6:52 pm

Programs: DL DM UA AA Hilton Starwood
Was just in Key Bank in Utah yesterday and was offered a debit card that would earn One Pass Miles at 1 per $2 spent (the usual).
Do not know about the limits.
Will be able to use One Pass Miles on Delta out of SLC in the near future.
Old May 10, 03, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA has a similar program with BankOne...The MP One Card. $25 yearly fee--1 mile for every $2. Not sure if there's a "premium" level like AA Citibank.
Old May 12, 03, 9:19 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
When you use a debit card, the cashier may ask "debit or credit". Some debit cards give miles only if you say "credit" anyway. The money will still come right out of your checking account just as fast. Read the rules fo ryour card.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

Old May 14, 03, 11:30 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AllanJ:
When you use a debit card, the cashier may ask "debit or credit". Some debit cards give miles only if you say "credit" anyway. The money will still come right out of your checking account just as fast. Read the rules fo ryour card.
</font>
The Citibank card is nice because you have to option of having $1 = 1 mile as opposed to everyone else where you get $2 = 1 mile.

But BofA is one of the only ones to give you miles for debit/PIN based transactions (excluding cash back and ATMs). This is important for those situations where merchants won't allow debit card users to use "credit"... Case in point is Wal-Mart. Now that Vis & Mastercard both caved in a settled, you can bet that fairly soon, many more merchants--inluding Wal-Mart--are going to force debit/checkcard users to use their PINs.
Old May 15, 03, 12:02 pm

Northwest/USBank 1mile/$2. 3-4000 mile sign up bonus. $20 annual fee. some people are reporting the $20 fee is waived first year. I love the card.

------------------
"I travel a lot; I hate having my life disrupted by routine" -Caskie Stinnett
Old May 15, 03, 3:08 pm

When I select Debit the money comes out of my account right away. When I select Credit I see a debit authorisation for $1.00 and the charge only processes several days later. It makes it hard to know how much money I've really got.
Old May 16, 03, 9:58 am

I had been thinking about getting the Citibank Debit Card for miles... So, I saw this thread and decided to go ahead and read the fine print again.

When reading up on www.aa.com about the different checking accounts they have, I happened across a promo for opening a checking account -- $75 bonus. That's great! That will cancel out the $65 first year fee of the premium debit card

I opened the checking account online, now I have to mail them a check and our 'signature card' that we printed out. I guess after that is done, I can make sure when I 'upgrade' my debit card that it qualifies for the 4K mile promo.
Old May 16, 03, 11:48 am
DH

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ALadyNCal:
I had been thinking about getting the Citibank Debit Card for miles... So, I saw this thread and decided to go ahead and read the fine print again.

When reading up on www.aa.com about the different checking accounts they have, I happened across a promo for opening a checking account -- $75 bonus. That's great! That will cancel out the $65 first year fee of the premium debit card

I opened the checking account online, now I have to mail them a check and our 'signature card' that we printed out. I guess after that is done, I can make sure when I 'upgrade' my debit card that it qualifies for the 4K mile promo.
</font>
Oops, there are $100 sign up bonuses available.

------------------
ValueConsumer.com Home of Tripple Dipping Online Shopping
BargainTalk Deals Forum
Old May 16, 03, 11:52 am

$75 is better than none

Search this Thread