Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

How soon can I obtain tiks with FF miles?

Old May 8, 03, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

I have heard that you cannot buy a ticket before 331 miles. Is that the same for all/most airlines? Is it the same period for getting tickets with FF? And is it 331 days back from departure date or return date?
Old May 8, 03, 11:26 pm

Welcome to FT. Can you phrase your question a little better?
Old May 9, 03, 6:40 am

Yes, most airlines allow ticketing for paid or award travel 330 days in advance. I usually start calling 332 days in advance for hard to get award travel just in case. There are times I have stayed up until midnight to get choice tickets. Sometimes, the inventory does not load until 1 or 2AM eastern time due to the time differences.

The 330 days is in advance of the flight. Thus, sometimes you have to call for the outbound flight and lock it in, and call 330 days from your return for your return flight.

[This message has been edited by Schutzee (edited 05-09-2003).]
Old May 9, 03, 8:07 am

FYI: Air Canada is 356 days, but I can only get 355 days to work on-line.
Old May 9, 03, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
The reason for this is to avoid any possible confusion about which June 24th the ticket is for. The reason it's not 364 days is to give the airline time to clear recent flights out of its database. (That's not be a source of confusion in booking tickets, since one is not likely to want a seat on yesterday's flight, but it can be with other types of inquiries.) They don't need a month to do that, of course, but 331 days is a hold-over from earlier record-keeping methods.
Old May 9, 03, 10:41 am

If you know what days you want to travel and you plan to use FF miles, get the tickets as early as possible. Prepare to be flexible in your travel dates/times. I've had no problem getting exactly what I want when I do it 6-9 months in advance.

I also find the abiltiy to look at redemption possibilities on the Delta web site to be extremely helpful. Just be careful, it's easy to create itineraries that a phone agent will have to delete.

Joe
Old May 9, 03, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DannyMc:
I have heard that you cannot buy a ticket before 331 miles. Is that the same for all/most airlines? Is it the same period for getting tickets with FF? And is it 331 days back from departure date or return date? </font>
BTW...NWA is the only airline I'm aware of that lets you purchase a ff ticket exactly 1 year out
Old May 9, 03, 12:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by socrates:
BTW...NWA is the only airline I'm aware of that lets you purchase a ff ticket exactly 1 year out</font>
Another consideration is that some airlines (AC) will allow the ticket to be valid 1 year from the day of first FLIGHT versus others (AA, CO) which the ticket expires 1 year from day of ISSUE.

Search this Thread