Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

A summary of what happens with your miles after death?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A summary of what happens with your miles after death?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Hats off to all the diligent folks above. But as FlyerTalk sages often say in earlier rounds (threads) of this discussion: "I put all the information for all my accounts in an envelope, told my kids where it is, and told them, 'Never let 'em know I'm gone.'"
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Have there been any more recent reports of successfully transferring UA miles on death?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bigwings8
Have there been any more recent reports of successfully transferring UA miles on death?
Have you searched the UA forum for this information?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Good point...Google didn't turn up the thread but a direct forum search did.

Here's the thread: united miles transfer on death
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
SWA, AA and SPG

When my dad died--

AA transferred the miles (about 100k) into my mom's account immediately and expressed their sympathy. No fee.

SWA would have transferred his miles into a family member's account for a fee--something like $68 for 4k miles BUT I had to know his Rapid Rewards number and password, which I did not so there was nothing they could do.

SPG transferred the points (about 5k) into my account (my mom didn't want them) for no fee.

Someone posted that it's a good idea to put frequent flyer numbers and passwords in a will--I agree!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:37 am
nwe

Programs: Skywards Gold
Reviving this but EK Skywards will transfer only if the account has more than 20,000 miles; a little disappointing and not very compassionate on trying to get my late mothers miles transferred
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Bohemiana
Someone posted that it's a good idea to put frequent flyer numbers and passwords in a will--I agree!
NOT in a will. It is quite a drill to change a will if your numbers (or -- more likely -- passwords) change, and when a will is probated others can see the passwords (I realize the deceased is dead, but some accounts may still be active).

You should put the information in a letter to your executors and put the letter in your safe deposit box (or have your lawyer or whoever is holding the original of the will put it with the will). That way it gets the information to the executors and can be changed without having to go through the formality of changing the will itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.