Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do car dealers allow use of credit card ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do car dealers allow use of credit card ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by rubesl
I paid $27k for a Ford at at dealer in suburban Detroit. Previously negotiated the price & then when it came time to pay I pulled out credit cards. They said "no problem", but VISA/MC only (no AMEX).
Wow, with the fees they paid on that either they lost money or you overpaid.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Travelergcp
If they accept it willingly, then you are paying too much for the car!
Not always the case.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
I was able to put half of my purchase onto my card but that only came after a lot of back and forth and arguing with the dealership (thankfully I made sure that we had already settled on a price before I got into this, otherwise I'm sure they would have tried to build it into the price of the car)
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold,Marriott, US,AA.DL, AGR, Hyatt
CC for Car

I was only able to put 2000$ for 18000 purchase,
They claim it is a dealership limit.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Chairman US Air, four million miles Delta and F.C., Plat Prem Marriott, Marquis Jet," Air America
If you preorder the car, you will be paying to the factory/company and not to the dealer. They may try the $2000 limit, but if you push it and explain it is being paid to the factory and not them and they loose nothing and gain a sell, they will usually do it (and not charge you much over invoice)
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by meisterau
If you preorder the car, you will be paying to the factory/company and not to the dealer. They may try the $2000 limit, but if you push it and explain it is being paid to the factory and not them and they loose nothing and gain a sell, they will usually do it (and not charge you much over invoice)
You willl be paying the Dealer, so it is their rules. Factories sell cars to dealers and the Dealer then sells it to the individual, special order or not.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by morgan1929
You willl be paying the Dealer, so it is their rules. Factories sell cars to dealers and the Dealer then sells it to the individual, special order or not.
As an employee of an Auto company, I can attest that Morgan is 100% correct. Auto manufacturers do not sell to individuals, only to Dealerships, who are the manufacturer's retailers.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:23 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
I was only to put $2000 on my CC for my CC (Volkswagen)

That was the dealer limit - the total due was only $18,000.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:00 pm

Well .....

I paid full amount on a credit card. It is amazing what they will do once you start to walk out of the dealership. But you must be serious about it and not just want it. It must be a deal breaker for you.

Just my 23,000 points worth.

CanuckOnFire

Last edited by CanuckOnFire; Jan 11, 2011 at 12:12 am
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:50 am

Programs: aa co
Originally Posted by chix
Everybody here talks about how the dealer "allows" them to charge a certain amount.

As previous posters mention, the merchant agreement states they must take whatever amount you desire, as long as you have the credit.

If they won't, call your bank and report the dealer. They could lose their agreement with MC/V/AMEX if they don't accept your purchase.

This also applies to that corner store that says $10 minimum charge to CC's.

This is the bottom line.
Actually, it is my recollection from a previous discussion that Visa does require merchants to accept credit cards but Amex does not. So if your dealer says he has a "rule" that they don't accept Visa, you can call Visa and complain and they will pressure the dealer to accommodate you. But not Amex.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: AA, DL
We bought a Toyota Prius several years ago in suburban DC (6hr drive away for us - we chose them bcz they offered best price in our search of scores of dealers for hundreds of miles around) when that model was in very short supply with high demand. Dealer said their limit was $2000 on cc.

Bought a budget Honda in Miami couple of yrs ago during the deep recession (again, best negotiated price from scores of dealers). Dealer capped at $2500 on cc.

Neither financed with dealers.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bradycentral
Yep, $32,000 on my Visa. I used one of them balance transfer checks. 0% interst for a year and I got 3200 cash back for paying in full, plus I was able to save $9000 off the msrp.
Nice...
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:14 pm
Suspended

Putting a whole car on a credit card costs them 2-3%. If they're willing to absorb that cost, that means they would have been willing to drop their price 2-3%. What seems like a deal to you, probably isn't. When's the last time you talked to anyone who didn't swear that they got a great deal on their car.

Just my 23,000 points worth.
Say it cost them even 2% of the $23k that they lose to the card company. You could have just negotiated a 2% lower price. That would have saved you about $500. Cash > miles.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:57 pm

Technically yes, but really no because .....

Well, the car I bought was fairly low on the food chain and while yes I could have negotiated harder I got what I wanted. I knew there was at least $100 more room to negotiate but I also knew it would be very hard to get. The 23,000 miles however did get me into business class when flying to Europe.

One last point, I did go in on the last day of their quarter so I knew they were hungry.

I was happy. (And yes, $$$s over miles or points)

Cheers,
CanuckOnFire
Old Jan 12, 2011, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by bostonbali
As an employee of an Auto company, I can attest that Morgan is 100% correct. Auto manufacturers do not sell to individuals, only to Dealerships, who are the manufacturer's retailers.
Many U.S. state laws require this. This goes back to the days that shipping charges were based on actual shipping costs, not a fixed number that effectively serves to increase the price across the board. People would take a train to the factory, pick up a car for less, drive it back, and expect their local dealer to provide warranty service. Dealers, understandably, didn't like this, so they complained. State legislatures, realizing that dealers and their employees vote in their locale but folks in Detroit factories don't, passed laws to protect the dealers. Most of those laws are still on the books.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.