Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

30 Games In 30 Nights Ė The Ultimate Hockey Road Trip

Old Sep 21, 07, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL, Hilton etc.

I have two passions in life, flying and hockey. Now Iím ready to embark on the trip that Iíve been dreaming about for years and figured it was time to share it with my fellow FlyerTalkers. Itís the ultimate hockey road trip, seeing 30 games in 30 consecutive nights in all 30 NHL cities. My adventure starts in Detroit on October 26th and wraps up in Tampa 30 nights later. Think Jack Kerouac meets Wayne Gretzky!

Hereís the routing - MCO-DTW-LAX-SNA-LGA-YUL-EWR-JFK-DFW-PHX-CMH-FLL-YOW-PIT-BOS-ORD-DCA-DEN-SJC-YYC-YVR-YEG-STL-PHL-MSP-ATL-YYZ-BUF-BNA-RDU-TPA

Or for the uninitiated - Orlando (home)-Detroit-Los Angeles-Anaheim-New York (Rangers)-Montreal-New Jersey-New York (Islanders)-Dallas-Phoenix-Columbus-Florida-Ottawa-Pittsburgh-Boston-Chicago-Washington-Colorado-San Jose-Calgary-Vancouver-Edmonton-St. Louis-Philadelphia-Minnesota-Atlanta-Toronto-Buffalo-Nashville-Carolina-Tampa Bay

Iíve put together a web site that describes my trip in more detail. Iím no techie and itís still a work in progress, but Iíll be adding a blog function so that I can provide daily updates from the road. www.30gamesin30nights.com. Take a look and let me know if you have any suggestions.

Iíll be flying to 27 of the 30 cities, and over the past month Iíve booked 17 of the flights, while hoping prices will fall on the other routes. Iíve seen some decent one-way prices, especially on routes where the majors compete with Southwest. Almost all of my domestic flights are running between $59-$119 one way. So far, Iíve averaged $105.50 per city, often on UA/US. That will go up when I add some of the more expensive flights, such as YEG-STL, which has been hovering around $300. Time to burn some UA Choices.

I feel strange booking many of the flights, because as a mileage runner, Iím used to taking the slowest and most circuitous route from one city to the next. Now Iím doing the exact opposite, taking the most direct route possible, to minimize the chance of missing a game. It goes against everything I believe in to book a non-stop for $119 when I can take a flight with three stops and twice the EQMs for $99.

Next step is booking hotels and rental cars, but thatís the easy part, thanks to Hotwire and Priceline and a few HHonors 10k properties. If anyone has leads for great deals on hotels or game tickets, please let me know. I'm on a tight budget, you know!

Obviously, if I miss even one game, I fail in my quest, so I have worked hard to minimize the risk. Iíll arrive in each city by early afternoon, allowing 5-6 hours before game time in case of delays, plus have backup routings in place, whether on planes, trains or automobiles. Weather is a factor in November, but not as much as later in the winter, and Iíve tried to schedule some of the colder cities earlier in the trip.

If I do miss one of the first 20 games, I can still see 30 games in 30 nights by catching an afternoon game in Boston or Philadelphia on 11/23 then flying down to Raleigh for the night game. Iím a huge Tampa Bay Lightning fan and Iíve arranged my schedule to see seven Lightning road games, and finish up in Tampa. Then I get one day to rest and back to work on Monday! My biggest fear is coming down with a cold, so Iíll be bringing every remedy known to man with me. Of course, I wonít be checking any bags!

Friends or family are joining me in some cities, but Iíll be flying solo for most games. So for those FTers who are hockey fans, take a look at my schedule and let me know if youíll be attending any of the games. I feel lucky to be "Living My Dream" and hope to see you on the road!

Steve
Old Sep 21, 07, 10:33 am

Programs: NW Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
What a great trip! As a fellow hockey nut, I am jealous. Enjoy the Xcel Energy center - its supposed to be the nicest NHL arena in N.America and I have to agree
Old Sep 21, 07, 9:39 pm

Location: MCO (well, actually DWS, but that airport hasn't seen a landing in a long time)
Programs: Formerly Worldperks, now Skymiles ... no status to speak of
Damn ... and I thought my 42 college hockey games in 6 states over the course of 1 season was impressive. Have fun!

I've only seen games in a few NHL rinks, but based on that, and what I've seen on TV, the best anthem singer in the NHL is Ottawa's Lyndon Slewidge, (and I'm biased, but I think Karen Newman in Detroit is probably 2nd)
Old Sep 22, 07, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, DL, Hilton etc.
Hopefully, I'll have minimal delays and get there in time to see the national anthem at every game!

Steve
Old Sep 22, 07, 10:12 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Looks like a great thread for MilesBuzz

Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Sep 23, 07, 4:08 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
WOW!!! That has been a dream of mine for a while now too, and I'm really looking forward to living vicariously through you Good luck, and please report back any tips or tricks you learned. I once did a mini trip, hitting up a Ducks game, followed by a Sharks game, followed by a Kings game all in a row, but to be able to do all 30!^^^
Old Sep 23, 07, 6:57 am
MGL

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamond
Wearing an Original Six sweatshirt as I read your post, I, too, will be living vicariously through you during the trip. What a great way to spend 30 days!^ I know you will have the experience of a lifetime.

I'm a little curious as to the effort it took to plan, research, and book this. How many hours or what period of time did it take to put this together? Lining up the schedule along must have taken a fair amount of work.
Old Sep 23, 07, 8:32 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Well, I can't say I'm a big hockey fan, but the challenge of making the logistics of something like this work fascinates me. Figuring out the hockey schedule for 30 consecutive games in all 30 different cities must have been a good trick alone, let alone the air travel. I'm guessing some of the flight legs will be trickier than others time wise. Best of luck with it!
Old Sep 23, 07, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS,AC
What a dream trip. Congratulations on your dedication and determination. How many tickets per game do you need? Which games are you missing? Maybe one or more FTers can help.

Last edited by Dmarsh11; Sep 23, 07 at 12:27 pm Reason: Spelling and punctuation.
Old Sep 23, 07, 12:33 pm

Very cool! ^

Have you contacted any of the teams or arenas to let them know of your plans?

A few years ago, I was at an Angels game and some college students who were attempting something similar threw out the first pitch.

I'm not saying that they'll let you drop the puck, but they just might give you a free ticket for the game in their town.
Old Sep 23, 07, 12:39 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Mine was Baseball

Congratulations and well done.

I did 30 ballparks in the span of 2 seasons and had as much fun with the logistics as anything. I also used one ways and actually scheduled my games based on the fares so some pretty crazy routing. You did great at $105.50. I was closer to $150.

Looking forward to purusing your website.

Thanks
Old Sep 23, 07, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by caleo View Post
I'm not saying that they'll let you drop the puck, but they just might give you a free ticket for the game in their town.
Or drive the Zamboni!!!

Let us know which games you still need tickets for. Some of us might be able to help.

And congratulations on your ambitious plans.
Old Sep 23, 07, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Very cool. I'm a Rangers season ticket holder so maybe I'll see you at the Garden!

Just curious, do you have a budget set for this trip? Are you getting premium seats for each game, or are you just looking to get inside each arena? I'm totally jealous. I did my first Rangers road trip last December...watched the Rangers take on the Panthers in Sunrise, then drove to Tampa two days later. You are taking the game to a whole different dimension. Awesome!
Old Sep 23, 07, 11:51 pm

Have fun getting from YOW out to Kanada where the Sens play. That will be an amazing trip though.
Old Sep 24, 07, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Washington Capitals Fan Agrees

Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Very cool. I'm a Rangers season ticket holder so maybe I'll see you at the Garden!

Just curious, do you have a budget set for this trip? Are you getting premium seats for each game, or are you just looking to get inside each arena? I'm totally jealous. I did my first Rangers road trip last December...watched the Rangers take on the Panthers in Sunrise, then drove to Tampa two days later. You are taking the game to a whole different dimension. Awesome!
I'm a Caps season ticket holder so maybe I'll see you at Verizon Center in November.

And I'm asking the same questions as broadwayblue.

But I'm adding a request that you pm me if you'd like an e-mail address for Capitals' owner Ted Leonsis; your trip sounds like exactly the sort of thing that Ted would enjoy vicariously. (But give him a few days before you contact him because his father passed away last night and as much as Ted loves the game, I don't think hockey's on his mind right now.)

Last edited by greggwiggins; Sep 24, 07 at 7:30 am Reason: Adding link to Ted Leonsis bio

Search this Thread
Search Engine: