Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Taca Distancia Miles Purchase - This Deal is HOT!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taca Distancia Miles Purchase - This Deal is HOT!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2007, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
...If I read the route map correctly there is no routing from anywhere in the US that will get you to Buenos Aires in under 2 connections.
For those who haven't found it yet, there's an interactive route map here:
http://www.taca.com/eng/oth/oabo/oaboroumap.asp#

Also, TACA confirmed by email that I cannot fly IB business using Distincia:

"You can redeem your miles for a ticket flying with Iberia but only on Coach Class. The mileage required for an award ticket that you request from Boston to Madrid is 65,000 DISTANCIA miles for Low Season in Economic Class and 75,000 DISTANCIA miles for High season on flight operated by Iberia.

Last edited by rrgg; Sep 10, 2007 at 2:41 pm
Old Sep 10, 2007, 3:17 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jerry crump
Taca staff is great in the air, but their ground operations and administration have 1970's latin american efficiency.
I agree with the comment on ground operations out of San Francisco. Absolutely terrible. But the ground operations in Costa Rica where the best I have ever experienced. I was there in route from Lima during the 9/11 crisis. Their help desk in San Jose, Costa Rica took very good care of me, offering lodging, meals, and local transportation until they could get me home. Also, the Lima sales office was able to get my S.O. home with only one day delay, where Continental, which whom she had a return ticket, would promise her a seat only with a three week delay.

On a previous visit to Costa Rica, my S.O. and I were given a flight home plus a $500 credit each for volunteering to be bumped to Taca flights that got us to San Francisco via San Salvador only 15 minutes later that originally ticketed via Taca and American through Miami.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
For those who haven't found it yet, there's an interactive route map here:
http://www.taca.com/eng/oth/oabo/oaboroumap.asp#

Also, TACA confirmed by email that I cannot fly IB business using Distincia:
Who knows, but I think that the email your received is incorrect. I believe that they do offer IB biz. Again, who knows. I am tending to agree with the one who said, buyer beware.

http://www.tacaairlines.co.uk/taca/n...ccs=156&cs=548
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:20 pm

I followed your UK TACA website link and see what you mean, they list business redemption amounts. On the US .com site there is no table on the Iberia page. They do instruct you to call the TACA Call Center which I just did to ask about business class redemptions on Iberia. At least my phone rep said 'yes' so this may be a useful business class option for those still considering this program. However this is definitely a Caveat emptor situation.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 5:16 pm

I'd like to point out that I only asked TACA how many miles to fly BOS-MAD IB in business. I did not mention anything about whether J is even permitted, yet that is the response I received.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by AAaLot
The are notorious for changing rules, not taking calls, high inventory, low inventory, forcing you to go to the airport to complete a transaction, .
I threw away $1000 in Denied boarding credit because TACA required each passenger and denied boarding voucher holder to personally got to the airport to redeem them. Even though their closest airport office is 300 miles from where we live.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by satori
Taca has been around and many of us LatinPass runners redeemed numerous awards with the airline over the past seven years. I had a good experience redeeming LatinPass miles for international business class tickets between San Francisco and Buenos Aires, Santiago, and Quito with TACA Airlines in 2005. I dealt with TACA agents repeatedly and there was no problem getting award flight reservations and making changes on travel dates after the award tickets had been issued.
I am very happy to hear your experience. I think I'll take the bait and buy some miles for a family trip to eze. Hopefully we won't have to go to the airport to complete the transaction.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 7:32 pm

I see the website actually reflects the right price now.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Has anyone gotten any answers back from TACA?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Has anyone gotten any answers back from TACA?
Several of us have contacted TACA. What are you looking to have answered?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Several of us have contacted TACA. What are you looking to have answered?
I wanted to know if I can travel from the US mainland to HNL for 25K TACA miles on United.
Phone reps were clueless, and I have yet to hear an email response.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:13 am

I wanted to know if I can travel from the US mainland to HNL for 25K TACA miles on United.
Well how do you feel about being the FT sacrificial lamb?
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:15 am

Well how do you feel about being the FT sacrificial lamb?
If any of the phone reps actually spoke english, I would've gone for it...
Take A Chance Airlines indeed!
Old Sep 12, 2007, 9:44 pm

Wink

If you call on Monday, Thursday and Friday the answer is yes you can go to HNL for 25K. If you call Tuesday or Wednesday the answer will be no. If you call Saturday or Sunday ... well you get the idea.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 4:02 am
Original Member

Another LatinPass runner here.

This could be a very good deal, but my advice is to remember that you aren't dealing with an American company and the rules may change several times before you're done. Don't spend any money that you can't afford to lose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.