Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Plane crashes into Tampa building (next door to mine)!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2002, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

A private plane piloted by a 15 year old has crashed into the Bank of America tower in downtown Tampa. There appear to be no casualities in the building itself, no word on the teen and/or a possible instructor.

I work in the building right next door (Amsouth--tallest in Tampa). Very scary.

Old Jan 5, 2002, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,42286,00.html
Old Jan 5, 2002, 4:39 pm

Yes this is very scary! Glad that no one was hurt in the building! 15 year old flying!? isn't he/she too young to fly?
Old Jan 5, 2002, 4:46 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

A picture is available at:

www.tampatribune.com

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop
Old Jan 5, 2002, 5:07 pm

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
This is too weird

The student and instructor (presumably) pilot departed without proper clearance so the control tower sent up the coast guard -

Now this is weird # 1 - an instructor a) knows how to get clearance and b) would certainly respond w/out control having to send up the Coast Guard?

The coast guard was instructing the plane to land at a nearby airport - and instead it ended up in a building.

And this is weird #2 - that building looked to me like (from a different picture) that it would have been pretty easy to miss - certainly by an instructor, assuming he could take over the controls.

This strike anyone else as very strange?
Old Jan 5, 2002, 5:09 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by svpii:

This strike anyone else as very strange?
</font>
yeah, me....
Old Jan 5, 2002, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

It appears that there was no instructor, and that the 15 year old (from Palm Harbor, student at East Bay High School) stole the plane. Possibly he was going up with an instructor, the instructor told him to "preflight," and the boy just "took off".
Old Jan 5, 2002, 5:21 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
No instructor and this kid lacks imagination. Or, lacked imagination.
Old Jan 5, 2002, 6:36 pm

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Or had imagination and no skills to back it up.. tragic.
Old Jan 5, 2002, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Perhaps he was a distant cousin to John Walker, or, more aptly, a brother in spirit...
Old Jan 5, 2002, 7:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by afang:
15 year old flying!? isn't he/she too young to fly?</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">From the FOXNews.com article:
Federal Aviation Authority spokesman Scott
Brenneer said the plane was flown by "a student pilot who did not have permission to fly the aircraft." An official in Washington said the pilot was 15 years old — a year too young to qualify as a solo pilot.
</font>
Old Jan 5, 2002, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
This is purely speculation, but sounds more like a suicide attempt to me. Very sad .
Old Jan 5, 2002, 8:59 pm

And why did the tower call the "Coast Guard" ? Not the Air Force or the other "appropriate" officials? If this was done on a weekday and the building was full ... Well I'm sure glad we are spending all that money on highly trained airport security. Oh wait, we're not. You don't even need a high school diploma anymore. Imagine all those parents yelling at their kids to finish high school. Now the kids can tell them they can work for the federal government, with all its perks and benefits, and they don't even *need* to finish high school. The entire situation AND response is pathetic and embarrassing.
Old Jan 5, 2002, 9:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Actually, it appears that both the Coast Guard and Air Force responded. From CNN:

As the plane took off, air-traffic control alerted the U.S. Coast Guard, which dispatched a helicopter to intercept the Cessna, said Lt. Charlotte Pittman of the Coast Guard. The helicopter's crew, yards away from the Cessna, signaled for it to land at an airport just south of Tampa. Instead, the airplane struck the building without appearing to try to avoid it, witnesses said.

The unauthorized take-off also prompted authorities to scramble two F-15 jets. The jets, part of the 125th Fighter Wing based at Homestead Air Force Base in Miami, Florida, arrived at the west-central Florida city within moments, but not before the Cessna had crashed, said Capt. Richard Bittner, the base's public information officer.
Old Jan 5, 2002, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by keithnj973:
Well I'm sure glad we are spending all that money on highly trained airport security.</font>
What does this have to do with the airport security screeners you're making reference to?

d

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.