Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

A new 7/16/07 offer from Citi for 10K AA miles

A new 7/16/07 offer from Citi for 10K AA miles

Old Jul 17, 07, 6:52 am
  #1  
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hilton Head Island, SC
Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 1,914
A new 7/16/07 offer from Citi for 10K AA miles

Upgrade your existing Citi debit card to an AA debit card an get 10,000 AA miles as part of our 20th year anniversary. $25 for basic 1 mile per $2 or premium $65 for 1 mile per $1. Limits are 60K basic, 100K premium.

Go to Citibankonline.com

There is also a thread running in the AA forum.
I thought about cross posting, but thats a no-no, so now every one knows.

Last edited by ingy; Jul 17, 07 at 7:00 am Reason: Addition
ingy is offline  
Old Jul 17, 07, 3:24 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: California
Programs: Skymiles, Advantage, Dynasty
Posts: 116
Awesome, I have been waiting for something like this. I got the premium. Will post on the time frame it takes to post bonus to account. Thank you ingy.
patchadamsbk is offline  
Old Jul 17, 07, 4:17 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Posts: 3,205
After signing up, can I downgrade to a regular atm/debit card with no fee after say, 6 months?
Ripper3785 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 07, 5:03 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,894
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=714915
rrgg is offline  
Old Jul 18, 07, 3:17 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Danville, CA, USA;
Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Plat Amb
Posts: 12,065
Very nice, but see the prior threads for the difficulties that you may encounter actually getting the miles to post.

Still, hard to pass up 10k miles for $20. And unlike prior promos, this one is only limited to "one per account" not "new customers only" "one per lifetime" or "one per customer" Might have to open a new account
Boraxo is offline  
Old Jul 18, 07, 3:46 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Posts: 3,205
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
Very nice, but see the prior threads for the difficulties that you may encounter actually getting the miles to post.

Still, hard to pass up 10k miles for $20. And unlike prior promos, this one is only limited to "one per account" not "new customers only" "one per lifetime" or "one per customer" Might have to open a new account
Citi does hard credit pulls on new banking accounts. So in that sense, I'd rather just sign up for another AA credit card and get 20k miles for free(annual fee waived first year) Get the miles faster too.
Ripper3785 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 07, 7:19 pm
  #7  
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hilton Head Island, SC
Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Posts: 1,914
Originally Posted by Ripper3785 View Post
Citi does hard credit pulls on new banking accounts. So in that sense, I'd rather just sign up for another AA credit card and get 20k miles for free(annual fee waived first year) Get the miles faster too.

I don't agree. I spoke to them yesterday about this very issue and if you are an existing customer, No Hard Pull
ingy is offline  
Old Jul 18, 07, 7:35 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Posts: 3,205
Originally Posted by ingy View Post
I don't agree. I spoke to them yesterday about this very issue and if you are an existing customer, No Hard Pull
In that case, I stand corrected.
Ripper3785 is offline  
Old Jul 18, 07, 8:52 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 302
Originally Posted by ingy View Post
I don't agree. I spoke to them yesterday about this very issue and if you are an existing customer, No Hard Pull
YES they do pull a hard pull. I know, my wife works there.
Danger Man is offline  
Old Jul 18, 07, 9:33 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: ord -n- mdw
Programs: big pimpin'
Posts: 974
Originally Posted by Danger Man View Post
YES they do pull a hard pull. I know, my wife works there.
well...i guess we can't argue with that

what exactly is a "hard pull?" is that just an official inquiry that stay on your credit report for 2 years? and do they pull all the agencies or just a few? thanks!
arfgoblue is offline  
Old Jul 18, 07, 11:21 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Posts: 10,037
Originally Posted by arfgoblue View Post
well...i guess we can't argue with that

what exactly is a "hard pull?" is that just an official inquiry that stay on your credit report for 2 years? and do they pull all the agencies or just a few? thanks!
hmmm, I was beginning to think I was on a porn site or something with this strange language ... BUT anyway, from my own high level of Citi experience, I have received many inquiries on my CC report but none have had much to do with my score. It's fluxuated maybe a few points and that's all. I dont know what kind of pulling is being done, but I am more concerned if if this deal works for the existing debit card I have, on the existing e checking I have (which I did get my original sign up 10k from in the other offer on FT). If it does, then I will go ahead and upgrade now.

However, I once had this card set to the premium level but decided to downgrade and not even let it earn miles. No fee was assessed because it had only been the higher level card for less than one statement period.

MM
Marathon Man is offline  
Old Jul 18, 07, 11:49 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Posts: 657
Wait a minute - if I already have a Citibank debit card, and I upgrade the card to a regular AA debit card, a hard pull is done?

So is there any difference between doing this or just signing up for a new credit card?

Why would they do a new credit pull if im already a citibank customer?
yoshapman is offline  
Old Jul 19, 07, 1:24 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Posts: 3,205
Originally Posted by yoshapman View Post
Wait a minute - if I already have a Citibank debit card, and I upgrade the card to a regular AA debit card, a hard pull is done?

So is there any difference between doing this or just signing up for a new credit card?

Why would they do a new credit pull if im already a citibank customer?
Because Citibank is the devil? From all my previous reading on FT about Citi, they seemed to be notorious for doing hard pulls for all sorts of things. Money Market account, Hard credit pull. Open a CD with them, hard credit pull.

It's okay, I'll sell my soul for miles. Between the Mrs. & I, we've gotten 95,000 from Citi in the last 5 months. And 40,000 more coming by the end of next week.

Ripper
Ripper3785 is offline  
Old Jul 19, 07, 1:51 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York
Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Posts: 1,598
Originally Posted by Ripper3785 View Post
Because Citibank is the devil? From all my previous reading on FT about Citi, they seemed to be notorious for doing hard pulls for all sorts of things. Money Market account, Hard credit pull. Open a CD with them, hard credit pull.
Citi used to do a hard pull for everything, but they seem to have changed recently. In 2005 I have hard pulls from checking, savings, and CD (but surprisingly not an overdraft account). This year I've opened 2 savings accounts and a CD with nary a hard pull (make sure to do it while logged in to your current Citi account).
acf573 is offline  
Old Jul 19, 07, 2:21 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Posts: 3,205
Originally Posted by acf573 View Post
Citi used to do a hard pull for everything, but they seem to have changed recently. In 2005 I have hard pulls from checking, savings, and CD (but surprisingly not an overdraft account). This year I've opened 2 savings accounts and a CD with nary a hard pull (make sure to do it while logged in to your current Citi account).
Hope it's a sign of better things to come. To my surprise, last night citicards.com allowed me to setup payment info for a new CC AND schedule an online payment at the same time. For the previous 6 CC accts, had to wait 5-6 days for outside checking account to be linked and ready to transfer for online payments. And yes, this used to happen for accounts that were under the same login.
Ripper3785 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread