Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Worried about codes on award ticket

Old Jul 12, 07, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I used miles from Airline A's program initially to book a trip on Airline B; then there was availability on a better itinerary on Airline C so I changed to that. After a wait of some time, I was reticketed.

On Airline C's site, there's a fare breakdown in plain English showing the taxes and fees; the biggest entry is a tax for a country that's no longer part of the trip. Airline A's site also has an e-ticket receipt listing the flights correctly; the fare breakdown is in code that I can decipher as being for my original itinerary on Airline B, including starting in a different city.

Why not contact an airline to be sure this is straightened out? Well, I wasn't charged the change fee that by rule should have happened, and part of the trip is in a higher class of service so they should have taken more miles but didn't, and I find it appealing to keep it that way.

So I ask: I don't know the economics of award arrangements between partner airlines; does Airline A pay the airline I'm flying? If so, when does this happen? And when do the taxes get paid to the governments involved? In the days of paper tickets, I remember check-in agents looking at the fare calculation, saying "You got a great fare" if it was an award. I'm worried that on the day of the flight Airline C will notice that they haven't been paid, and there will be a red flag about a tax going to a country that isn't involved.

So I see various possibilities starting with everything being fine but they just didn't change the calculation that appears on the ticket, but I think they would at least have recalculated the taxes (which should be lower because a third country isn't involved). So how does it look if I do nothing --it takes a certain expertise, that they wouldn't expect of the average traveler, to understand how the fare is broken down --check-in online 24 hours before departure, and contact them if I have problems doing this? Would the worst thing to happen be that they charge the change fee and take the miles on the day of travel? I hear occasional stories of airlines saying at check-in "We have no record of you; you can only fly if you pay the walk-up fare"; this is mostly on an airline not involved here.

So I'd feel badly if the wrong airline were paid, but it's their business to get it straightened out. There are mistakes in my favor, but in my mind it isn't the same ethical problem as a cashier giving too much change and getting into trouble.

Search this Thread