Wiki Posts
Search

SQ, CX or TG Frequent Flyer Programme

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2007, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Thai Silver, EK Blue
SQ, CX or TG Frequent Flyer Programme

I have a loads of Citibank (Singapore) credit card reward points due to expire soon which I am going to convert to FF miles. They convert the points 2 miles to a point for the following airlines.
SQ (Kris Flyer)
CX (Asia Miles)
TG (Royal Orchid Plus)

I just need to get your opinions on the best programme to get into. I will appreciate the opinions on the FF programme such as ease of booking, restrictions etc but not necessarily on the airline itself.

My primary route to utilize (and earn) miles will be SIN-LAX-SIN. According to research on the 3 websites, miles earned for travelling and miles required for reward flights look somewhat similar but Kris Flyer looks more restrictive than the other two.

Look forward to all your valuable inputs. Thank you very much.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 4:53 pm

Programs: OZ Gold DL GM
I'd look at the partner airlines & see which ones you'd use more on other routes. That way you can earn more than just your SIN-LAX-SIN miles. I'm partial to *A (TG) but depends on where you live & fly.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 6:05 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
SQ and TG are both Star Alliance (United, Lufthansa, Swiss, Asiana, etc.), whereas CX is oneWorld (American, British, Qantas, LAN, JAL, etc.). I'd go look at what you want to redeem them for combined with who you want to fly on that route. Obviously all three have decent routing SIN-LAX with SQ having the non-stop, so from my perspective it would just be a matter of which I liked the best and would have the best flights. If I read it right, a paid flight on TG would get you to their Silver status in one r/t flight (10K miles) whereas it would take 25K on SQ and CX. I don't know enough about those three programs to say any more, but I'd probably look at TG with paid flights on TG and then redeeming for award flights on TG or SQ through *A awards.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA , Delta Silver,TG , HHonors , AA, BA,Asia Miles,
I think SQ will be the best option for you since you want to fly to from SIN. It is great airline and u will like it.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd do SQ, no questions asked.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:31 am

Programs: Thai Airways - Star Alliance Silver
THAI does have great benefits for their Gold member such as 50% off awards etc. Given their recent increase in premium class redemption rate, the program is still pretty generous.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by UNITED959
I'd do SQ, no questions asked.
I think you really meant to say something else what but left out a word in your sentence...
Old Jun 3, 2007, 5:44 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Gold, LM
If you can hit around 3 trips SIN-BKK-LAX-BKK-SIN on TG in a year, I think it will be good to do it on TG. In *A it is only good if you hit *G, you get a few perks and Lounge access. Hitting *S is no brainer. So, if you can make at least 3 of that trips in a year on TG, the *G will be good for at least 2 years, which is the most generous among *A.

Since it is *A, you can get awards form all *A partners. Even though TG charges a little more than other partners, it's worth it since the membership is valid for 2 years. ^
Old Jun 6, 2007, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Thai Silver, EK Blue
Thank you all very much for much valued inputs. I think I am going for TG ROP and will earn miles on TG and use them on SQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.