Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting Bonus Miles for United Visa Card Again

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Getting Bonus Miles for United Visa Card Again

I cancelled my United Airlines Mileage Plus Visa card about a year ago because I did not want to pay the annual fee. The annual fee was waived for the first year.

I keep getting offers for the card again. The bonus for getting the card is essentially 21,000 miles after spending $250 with the card. The fine print explains that the offer is "only for first-time cardmembers with new accounts."

Has anyone successfully signed up for the card again and been awarded the bonus miles?:
Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:16 am

It's been reported a number of times that this is no longer possible. If you already had a personal United Milleage Plus card from Chase, you will not get another sign up bonus - even if they keep sending you offers.

If you didn't have the business United Milleage Plus card from Chase - you can sign up for that one and get the introductory bonus points (but again - only once).
Old Mar 15, 2007, 6:57 am
In memoriam

If Chase figures out you are not a first time applicant, you will not get any bonus miles for the new card, no matter what sort of apps you get in the mail.

Instead, you will get a letter telling you what a valued customer you are, but as far as the promised bonus miles, drop dead.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 7:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

When you enter a Flyertalk forum notice "Search this Forum" menu pulldown. You can use this to locate existing discussions on your topic. Credit card discussions require extra investigation because they may occur in MilesBuzz, or in the sponsoring program's section (e.g. United) or in the dedicated Credit Card section of Flyertalk.

Here is a recent MilesBuzz thread about the Chase United VISA...

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=647902
Old Mar 15, 2007, 8:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It has been known to happen, even after the change to enforce the rules. But don't count on it.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:20 am

Programs: Caesars-Diamond Hilton-Diamond IHG-Plat MGM-Gold Wyndham-Diamond Hertz-PresCircle National-Exec
IMHO, since you cancelled the card a year ago, you will get the miles this time. But, maybe, for the last time.

I recently signed up for the card (about 6 weeks ago) after cancelling the card approximately 6 months earlier.

After spending the $250, I received the miles as promised.

In any case, it will still be first year free even if you don't get the big miles bonus so you won't be out anything except the effort and the slight ding to you credit score.

I'd give it a shot.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jgxtrav1
IMHO, since you cancelled the card a year ago, you will get the miles this time. But, maybe, for the last time.

I recently signed up for the card (about 6 weeks ago) after cancelling the card approximately 6 months earlier.

After spending the $250, I received the miles as promised.

In any case, it will still be first year free even if you don't get the big miles bonus so you won't be out anything except the effort and the slight ding to you credit score.

I'd give it a shot.
I'll 2nd this thought. Especially as you might have gotten your 1st card when it wasnt yet with Chase.

Better you can try via this url I got the 25k as well others I sent the URL to, bear in mind that its an old offer that still works but wasnt started by Chase
http://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webc...cont&mkid=6VMT

as you can see from the url it says 'firstusa' but when you open it the pic of the card says Chase. I believe witrh this its simply you get the 25k for having made 1 purchase on it and it need not be $250 in total. I did the $250 anyway to be sure
Old Mar 16, 2007, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by craz
I'll 2nd this thought. Especially as you might have gotten your 1st card when it wasnt yet with Chase.

Better you can try via this url I got the 25k as well others I sent the URL to, bear in mind that its an old offer that still works but wasnt started by Chase

as you can see from the url it says 'firstusa' but when you open it the pic of the card says Chase. I believe witrh this its simply you get the 25k for having made 1 purchase on it and it need not be $250 in total. I did the $250 anyway to be sure
Old Mar 16, 2007, 8:06 am

when did you apply for this card? how many cards do you have now?
Old Mar 17, 2007, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Almost all Chase credit card applications go thru the firstusa address - firstusa was bought by BankOne in 1997, later BankOne and Chase merged (or Chase bought BankOne) in 2004. They kept firstusa site for handling the credit cards. In fact, it was initially called Cardmember Services. And if you try firstusa.com - it would send you to Cardmember Services - and then it leads you to Chase Online.

The link you posted is not an older link - it was discovered when the 21K offer was first introduced last October - someone substituted 21 with 25 in the URL and voila, you have this link.

The $250 spending requirement is in the fine print - easily to find if you read the part of terms and conditions.

Originally Posted by craz

Last edited by Happy; Mar 17, 2007 at 12:49 am
Old Mar 25, 2007, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jaustin44
I cancelled my United Airlines Mileage Plus Visa card about a year ago because I did not want to pay the annual fee. The annual fee was waived for the first year.

I keep getting offers for the card again. The bonus for getting the card is essentially 21,000 miles after spending $250 with the card. The fine print explains that the offer is "only for first-time cardmembers with new accounts."

Has anyone successfully signed up for the card again and been awarded the bonus miles?:
Aren't there still offers for 25,000 miles after $250 in spend? That's the offer I received a few months ago and my Dad within the last month. You may want to search around a little to make sure you get the best offer available.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 8:20 pm
In memoriam

There are plenty of offers from Chase and UAL around, but, again, if they find out (and they very likely will) that you have recently (or at all) had another UAL card of the same type (business or personal) that got bonus miles they are not going to give you any additional bonus miles.

Learn from the experience of others. @:-)

It apparently doesn't matter what the offer says. The fine print about only for new cardholders trumps all.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:38 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta Platinum, LY Maybe:)
What about opening a new UAL account and getting the 21k points in there? Later on, you can always ask them to merge the accounts...
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:38 pm

Is it true that chase only allows you to hold 5 credit cards with them?
Old Mar 26, 2007, 6:47 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by tifosi chris
Is it true that chase only allows you to hold 5 credit cards with them?
No. There is a limit on the amount of unsecured credit they are willing to extend to you, not the number of card accounts that add up to that limit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.