Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Converting American Express and AA for flights to HI

Old Mar 6, 07, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Trying to get 4 award trips to HI for next pring/summer.

I have about 52000 points with my American Express Card which I can convert to my Hawaiian Airlines then get the Hawaiian Airlines CC for an extra 10,000 miles (=62000) and charge 8000 miles to receive 2 RT awards to HI.

Then, on my AAdvantage card I will have enough for 2 RT by next spring. Since Hawaiian Airlines is their partner I think we could plan it so that all 4 of us would be on the same flights.

I called American Express yesterday to make sure the conversion ratio was 1:1 and it is and the excise taxes are only around $20.

Is there a better way to do this? Could I get more of a ratio by doing ti another way?

I was also offered a Hilton Honors card (America Express) with 10000 bonus points on it but I'm not sure how that converts to Hawaiian Miles.

My credit rating is excellent but I want to get out of this American Express Card because it charges $50 per year and I don't want to pay it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 6, 07, 12:34 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
Sounds like some decent planning. I would just make sure you are very flexible with your travel dates and try to book as early as possible.
Old Mar 6, 07, 1:22 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by marjie8230 View Post
I called American Express yesterday to make sure the conversion ratio was 1:1 and it is and the excise taxes are only around $20.... I want to get out of this American Express Card because it charges $50 per year and I don't want to pay it.
I cannot think of an American Express card that participates in Membership Rewards but has only a $50 annual fee. What is the exact name of the card?
Old Mar 7, 07, 12:26 pm

Programs: US dirt (from CP), Marriott Rewards Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond??, Avis First, Hertz #1 Club Gold
I cannot think of an American Express card that participates in Membership Rewards but has only a $50 annual fee. What is the exact name of the card?
I think the OP said he was offered the Hilton HHonors AMEX card, which isn't part of MR but whose points might be able to be swapped into Hawaiian Air. I've done it going the other way, laundering my MR points through HA to receive double the amount of Hilton HHonors points, but am not sure of how one would swap from HHonors into HA's program.
Old Mar 9, 07, 7:54 am

Can't help you with the planning of earning award points... though you might want to look into opening a AA CC for the 20K bonus points to kick up your miles on AA for flights to HI. They also don't charge a fee for the first year (think that might just be on business card though I might be wrong). But what I DO know is you really need to start watching for award inventory about 10 months out if your looking for 4 seats. It gets kind of difficult. Also you might want to look into going on AA to the islands and then do an interisland flight for a minimal $$ (isn't worth spending the extra miles.. know flights between Kaui and HNL is only $39 on Aloha, Go! and then limited seats on Hawaiian Air... and the same $39 from HNL to Hilo or Kona... something to keep in mind once you earn enough miles to get you to Hawaii). Good luck earning. It's definitely worth it. We just went on 4FF AA tickets in December, have 44 AA tickets for Xmas this year (though it was very difficult getting those 4 seats for same dates... had to sweat it out).
Carolyn

Search this Thread