Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

When credit card co's cancel programs and points die...

Old Jul 16, 2002, 7:58 am
Original Poster

My mother had a GM card in Canada for a number of years. One day she received a letter notifying her that the program would end and that she had 12 months to use her accumulated value of $2000 or so. All she would have to do is buy a brand new car.

My mother didn't want to buy a car that year or the next or the next. We tried to get them to extend the value to her but they refused.

Has anyone heard of successful litigation/negotiation that has extended accumulated mileage or value? To me it seemed like they were stealing from her. She could have been using any accumulating credit card for those years and now the value is gone.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 8:46 am

Hi there,
Here in the UK, a credit card I had earned points. They droppped the system and gave everybody 6 months to use the points. Any left over and they just vanished.

In the UK that is perfectly legal as they "reserve the right to change the programme at any" time. They could cancel it with no notice but fortunately somebody figured that'd be a good way to annoy a bunch of people for no reason.

From a UK perspective, they are being perfectly reasonable with the 12 months notice. As a result of this, I never look for long term goals or large items with points. The system can (and my experience does) change too often.

Of course, Canada probably has different consumer laws so you might be able to approach it differently there.

Jason
Old Jul 16, 2002, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Contractually there really is no argument. I'm just thinking that there could be an argument made that GM or the CC company was unjustly enriched by inducing the use of the card and then not having any liability for the promised reward.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.