Wiki Posts
Search

Unlimited Free FC Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 1999, 8:50 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Unlimited Free FC Upgrades

Received in the mail today a letter from TWA that effective March 1st, they’ll offer Aviator members unlimited FC upgrades for all domestic travel. “Eliminating earned upgrades and the need to redeem certificates means you will now be eligible to upgrade on all your domestic trips when you are traveling on published fares. You will no longer need to track and calculate the number of mileage certificates needed for your trip or worry about running out. All you will need to do is call TWA at the times listed on the chart”.

The chart reads that all Y or B fares can be upgraded at time of booking. All discounted published fares can be upgraded prior to the flight: Platinum – 100 Hours; Elite 1 – 72 hours; and Elite – 24 hours.

The international upgrade policy remains unchanged.

TWA isn’t in one of the big three U.S. alliances, so I doubt that one of those major airlines will match this policy. And not to turn away this nice gift, but now I am partially concerned that those hard core, “wake up at midnight three days before the flight to get the upgrade” travelers will now “hog” first class. Don’t laugh, but getting upgrades has been pretty easy so far and I think the certificates have played a part in evening out who gets what. In the past, I have called at the last minute to get the FC upgrade. After all, I thought my life was regimented enough already, but now it appears I may have to mark my daytimer to “call for FC upgrade” three days before each flight.

Is a FC upgrade “free for all”, literally, what’s best for a loyal FF? I'll have to wait and see.

Old Feb 1, 1999, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow! I think you're right Buck...this could be quite a mess. Talk about Road Rage! I can just see the poor gate agents trying to handle everyone on the standby list. Yikes.
Old Feb 2, 1999, 12:52 am
Original Member

Location: New York - DL Gold, AA Gold, AC Prestige, VS Silver
Hold on, I'm not a CO flyer but doesn't CO already have unlimited upgrades ??? Maybe a Continental flyer on this board can enlighten us. Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 1999, 4:04 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
You're right...this copies what CO has done / is doing now. We've always had unlimited upgrades with full fare tickets (at any time), this year the upgrades for coach tickets are also unlimited and do not require certificates. The restriction algorithm here is based on availibility, elite level (Platinum may ask 3 day in advance, Gold 2 and Silver 1) then a waiting list at the airport for cancellations (again by elite level only).

It's really just a case of the airlines trying to standardize the procedure.

Strangely, with all of the work homoginizing the CO / NW programs, there is still a major difference (as the detailed CO elite guide was just posted on their website). Companion upgrades (one per Elite per trip) do not require a certificate on CO, but DO require a certificate (8 are provided to each elite) on NW. That's wierd.

Dave
Old Feb 2, 1999, 7:12 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Delta does not have "unlimited" upgrades, but they might as well be (except for the whole L class thing of course). Ever since I was a Sliver Medallion member I've always had enough upgrades between the segment upgrades and systemwide upgrades to upgrade whenever I want, and the systemwide upgrades are especially nice since they can be confirmed at any time after ticketing and on domestic or international flights.
Old Feb 2, 1999, 8:24 am
Original Member

Hmm. In re: system-wide upgrades with Delta -- how and when to they come. I was not aware of an International upgrade certificate.
Old Feb 2, 1999, 8:34 am
geo1004

US Airways does pretty much the same as CO re upgrades. Chairman's Preferred have unlimited free upgrades. Preferred Plus get 8 free upgrades per 10,000 miles flown. Preferred get 4 free upgrades per 10,000 flown. Any Preferred member, regardless of level, can upgrade a full fare coach ticket at time of purchase. After that, it is seven, three, and one day advance upgrade policy for non-full fare tickets depending on Preferred level. Seems pretty fair and organized to me. Standby waitlist is by Preferred level as well. As a Preferred Plus I seem to be able to upgrade about 75% of the time. Admittedly, most of my travel is off-peak times so...

Old Feb 2, 1999, 9:56 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
JGill ~ The systemwide upgrades come every 20,000 miles once you're elite (two upgrade certificates for each 20,000 miles). They're good on a one-way trip on any flight on Delta, domestic or international. All classes but L for domestic travel and C, D, Y, B, or M class internationally. These upgrades are also confirmable at any time after ticketing (no 72 hour rule or anything).

Also, Delta is generous in the definition of "one-way", I flew MSY-ATL-CHS (6 hour stopover for a meeting) then CHS-ATL-SLC-SAN all in one day earlier this year, and much to my surprise I only had to use one systemwide upgrade for that entire day's trip (I was expecting to have to use two of them). Not too bad of a deal, five flights upgraded for one systemwide! Even better, on the return trip they forgot to collect the systemwide upgrade that I used to upgrade (I've been told that they often forget to collect them, or maybe they're lazy since it's a G class upgrade and they're supposed to get stickers and everything to put on the tickets ...)!

Once you earn them (for instance on that same trip I earned enough miles for two more), it takes about a week to get them in the mail (I earned mine on Friday and received them in the mail the following Saturday).

[This message has been edited by Beckles (edited 02-02-99).]
Old Feb 4, 1999, 10:28 pm
EMD
Original Member

I think the Pope had a positive influence on TWA!!
Old Feb 4, 1999, 10:44 pm
Original Member

The difference is that TWA is giving upgrades to anyone flying on Y class fare, not just if you are an elite, if I understand it correctly. That is an awfully big incentive for someone like me, who although I usually get a preffered level with either US Air or Delta most years, didn't make it with either for this year. Therefore, no chance of getting bumped up to the front cabin, except with this type of treatment by TWA.
Old Feb 5, 1999, 4:05 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Anyone? That's very odd. It raises some interesting questions. How many Y class seats are sold on a given flight? How many FC seats are there on a given flight? Subtract.

Isn't that the same as advertising a sale on a carton of eggs at 5 cents each, but only having 5 to sell at that price?
Old Feb 5, 1999, 8:14 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

There appears to be some confusion in these posts. Sure, USAir, CO, TWA and other airlines offer their TOP-TIER elite FF unlimited FC upgrades. Yes, most airlines offer FC upgrades at the time of purchase for coach full price fares. And yes, most airlines give out enough upgrade coupons so you can upgrade most of the time, but I think you’d have be doing something extra to have enough coupons to be eligible to upgrade to FC every time you fly.

What I understand is different in the new program that Continental and TWA will both begin running March 1st is that ALL PRICE LEVELS of published fare tickets are candidates for unlimited upgrades – all you have to be is some level of elite FF with the airline. Some level of elite FF is defined as the minimum level amount on an airline, i.e. 25,000 miles (CO) or 20,000 miles (TWA) or $5,000 in published fares (TWA). I bring this up to point out that just because you’re a CO Onepass cardholder doesn’t mean you’ll be eligible for the upgrade - you have to be at least a CO silver elite or TWA elite to receive the unlimited upgrades.

As a result, even if I don’t have upgrade coupons, the next time I take the heavily discounted $122 RT ticket STL to CLE on either CO or TWA, I can upgrade on either airline without a coupon because I am at least the minimum elite level.

Now, having said all this, those 20 or so first class seats are going to have a lot more competition when the next time to upgrade comes around. Since both the CO and TWA program don’t start until March 1st, we’ll have to wait to see if this increases the difficulty in upgrading to FC.

Old Feb 5, 1999, 11:48 pm
Original Member

Buck:

I can't speak for the TWA program. I refuse to fly them anymore, even when I can get a cheaper fare on them. This from a customer that used to fly 15-20 times a year with them(If anyone from TWA is lurking, maybe you'll learn that not answering mail from customer's costs you customers).

The CO program has had unlimited upgrades(without coupons) in the past. The difference this year wlll be that the upgrades are now going to be confirmed ahead of time, rather than at the airport 2 hrs before flight. Currently CO gold elites(soon to be platinum) get free unlimited upgrades to FC on any paid fare(no coupons needed).
Old Feb 6, 1999, 9:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Buck, you mention that "most airlines offer FC upgrades on full fares at time of purchase". Really? Without upgrade certificates? Does UA do this for all travelers or elite levels only? I'd be surprised if UA upgrades anyone without certificates, full fare or not. They didn't upgrade me (even to business class) on a full Y to SFO recently.
Old Feb 6, 1999, 10:03 am
Commander Catcop

I think I would get free upgrades about 5 percent of the time on U-A. Generally I get to the counter and the agent asks for the upgrade certificates.

I think the last time I got upgraded without
certificates, miles, etc was the business
trip EWR-San Diego outbound. I stood there
stunned (considering that my company did not purchase a Full Y fare.) I think the only other time was going DFW-ORD-EWR on New Year's day (maybe everyoen was hungover.)

In cases like that... it's better to say thank you and RUN! CATMAN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.