Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA thinking of eliminating ff miles on cheap tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2007, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Mr MCO
Does that include meals and drinks included. I have had a full meal including wine and dessert on a 40 min flight (of course within Europe). . . . A friend of mine just booked a fare 15% higher to earn miles instead of going with the lowest airline. I am sure she would not do this in the future....
If your friend paid 15% more for a fare versus an LCC then she did not purchase a K or T fare which would an effected fare class. For my leisure travel I search many LCC's and with the exception of one MDW-EWR flight, UA and NW were always more affordable and convenient.

LCC's have their market and those who fly them do so out of choice. FF programs are not a consideration to begin with. When I chose to fly AirTran versus UA, it is strictly a fare choice and I know I surrender any useful miles.

But, let's be realistic, by flying LCC instead of a "legacy" carrier because of a 50% or 0% earnings on fare class, who are you really punishing?? I guess it would depend on travel patterns and redeption.

As the survey shows, less than 1/4% of the a carriers substantial revenue base do not buy fare classes which are affected. The significant balance of travelers purchase based on fare. So, offering low fares without "perks" is what they ask for.

Paying 15% more for full frequent flier amenities is exactly what legacy carriers are looking at. So, in essence, your friends decision to purchase based on amenities versus price fuels the argument which carriers are likely to pursue.

Regarding your Euro flight, I agree, I had a nice meal on a CDG-AMS flight; but, also could not carry on over 8kg, did not have a business class (well, the glorified coach) and only earned 50% miles. My colleague just enjoyed a great trip to AKL, saving $300, the trade off is that no miles were earned.

Last edited by mjcasta; Jan 3, 2007 at 9:40 am
Old Jan 3, 2007, 7:24 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I notice you said VS in your profile. Increasingly, it will be difficult to never check luggage, especially if originating or connecting at LHR.

Even the lowest cost of the LCC carriers in Europe have some free checked luggage allowance, right?
No, not anymore. Ryanair is charging for every piece of checked luggage, Easyjet gives you one piece free of charge ( up to 20 kg's ) and is charging extra for any additional piece or extra kilo! And yes, they now charging you extra for premium seats too.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:43 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Unbundling by a legacy carrier is absolutely stupid. People expect a legacy carrier to offer a collection of benefits in exchange for their ticket. People expect a LCC carrier to provide transportation for their ticket as well as a menu of other basic services which might be charged a la carte.

Again. Full service airlines offer full service benefits. Bundled. Period. LCC airlines can unbundle their services and charge - the market expects and is OK with that. People Express pioneered it years ago (they even charged a fee for each checked bag). Different products. Different markets. Different consumer expectations.
I guess you haven't flown NW in a long time. Legacy carrier, few benefits. No food, even pretzels, in economy for any domestic flights, even to HI and AK. Surly agents, uncooperative management (think of the hassles with the BUH tickets), Priority tags for elite passengers absolutely worthless. I fly NW because they are basically the only game in town where I fly. If I had a choice though, I wouldn't.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:21 pm

Rely on credit cards instead

Well, if this happened, I wouldn't bother trying to earn miles from flying on United. I would just churn their credit cards more often. Enough for several domestic roundtrips a year. And then take LCCs for trips one does pay for. Sort of a split loyalty.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by rc408
How far could this be taken? Would the FA's have to check your ticket before you used the lav to make sure your ticket covers that "extra"? And what would be the price difference between the coach lav and the first class lav?
Pay Toilets.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 2:26 am
Suspended

Re:

I also agree with that.

===========================
Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
Well, if this happened, I wouldn't bother trying to earn miles from flying on United. I would just churn their credit cards more often.
Those days seem to be over. See the posts on this forum. Multiple Chase cards= no bonus miles.
Old Jan 4, 2007, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
On the flip side, I like the fact that UA is considering innovative products. "Elite for a day" sounds a bit strange, but why not try it? As a 1P I'm marginally concerned about the "watering down" effect, but statistically-speaking, it probably could never been significant. Try it out. See if it works. They already sell RCC passes, but who's buying at $50 a pop? Probably no one.

Selling individual seats seems like more trouble than it's worth. United already seems to have a good system with E+.
Agree - upselling folks to something better and getting revenue is good business and is waving carrots. Every one of those options - pay more for E+ at the airport, day passes, E+ access for a year, all good things.

Removing current benefits on the other hand is not customer-friendly. I have to admit earning 35,000 miles (AKA free trip to Hawaii) as a 1P on a $700 T fare to SIN is pretty sweet!
Old Jan 6, 2007, 10:18 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
My biggest concern with this would be that miles would then be much closer to having a published value. In the US, the IRS has not been able to tax the value of the miles because it can be shown that two people can fly on the exact same ticket price and one earn miles while the other doesn't. Thus, there is no cost to earn the miles (from the IRS perspective) and they have no value.

If something like this kicks in, then there will be some groups that will want to revisit that argument and see if they can figure out a value of the miles to start taxing the balance in FF accounts. It sounds ludicrous, but we've already had a lot of discussions on here before about value of miles and tax implications because of previous IRS investigations and decisions.

On the charging for every little thing, I just ran into this on Allegiant Air for a one-way I priced out FAY-SFB:

Base Fare: $39
"Standard" taxes/PFC: $5.90
Checked Luggage Fee: $2 per bag
Reserved Seat Fee: $11
Travel Insurance: $12
Online Booking Convenience Fee: $7.50
Total: $67.40

You can avoid the Convenience Fee by going to an ATO, oddly enough. My point is that they're just one step away from putting a coin slot on the restroom if they haven't already.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.