Wiki Posts
Search

UA thinking of eliminating ff miles on cheap tickets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2006, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by pinniped
People mention the LCC's - specifically Southwest. The ironic thing is that they've almost gone the other way: better service, fewer bogus fees, and more respect for passenger flexibility than the majors. If anything, UA might want to look to them for ideas on how to compete.

I'm generally a fan of UA - I like upgrades, I like E+, I like miles that can take me to global destinations. But still, WN gets a chunk of my business every year because any trip I'm not 100% sure I'm really going to take can't be bought through UA without buying up to a very high fare. For certain business trips I might still do that, but for most trips - business or leisure - I just grab the seat on WN knowing that if I mix the trip it's no big deal.
well you are their target. flying on wn makes me cringe just thinking about it.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 4:16 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by MrAOK
United could offer the possibility of a cheaper ticket from chicago to l.a. with the trip times to be determined by united for instance and the prospect that the flight could leave from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Isn't that (the unpredictability of when flights will arrive or depart) already the way it is when flying out of ORD (due to frequent weather delays)?
Old Dec 14, 2006, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rwill11
well you are their target. flying on wn makes me cringe just thinking about it.
Yeah, it makes me cringe to actually have to do it, which is why I'm interested in any innovation on United's part that might offer additional flexibility, as was indicated as one of the new product possibilities in that Denver Post article.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I agree that the tickets would be probably the same price as they are now. They'll probably be selling seat padding as extra next.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No one has discussed this, but I HATE the idea of "Premiere for a day." Competition is already fierce for upgrades, and many flights have more elites boarding in Zone 1 than all other zones together. I put in my BIS miles to earn the privilege (and my $350 for the RCC) -- I don't think a casual flier who ponies up an extra $25 once a year should get exactly the same benefits that I've earned through my loyalty to the airline.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 5:54 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Should United ever institute such a policy by eliminating miles on discounted fares they will kill the potential of ever seeing any of my future business.
The reason to fly United is the program eliminate any chance to earn miles and there isn't a chance in the world I would otherwise step foot on one of their planes except if it's the last carrier standing.
I came to United to participate in its program and earn miles. It is all about the miles especially with what a flyer has to put up with these days……

I came to Flyertalk to enhance the potential or earning miles on United. The rest of this outstanding community was an unexpected bonus along the way.
I do the lion’s share of my business at American today. Not because they are any better carrier then United. They simply run a less conditional program today then United. At the end of the day I get most of the seats I need on AA including business class tickets to the West Coast for Christmas week at the 45k redemption level booked just 30 days ago.
Trying doing that on UA these days.
Of course United had nothing when I checked. American simply secured my business again for next year as well.United walks a fine line IMO
I eliminated other programs/carriers for a lot less serious concerns.Not earning miles when flying would be sucicide.Miles are the reason to fly period
Many more miles and Happy Holidays all ^ Three cheers for Flyertalk while we are at it

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 14, 2006 at 5:59 pm
Old Dec 14, 2006, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
If the carriers in the US were all stupid enough to jump on such a bandwagon, they'd be commoditizing their business even more than is already the case. I think we'd have holdouts.

Were such a thing to come to pass, FlyerTalk would have to reinvent itself.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PTravel
No one has discussed this, but I HATE the idea of "Premiere for a day." Competition is already fierce for upgrades, and many flights have more elites boarding in Zone 1 than all other zones together. I put in my BIS miles to earn the privilege (and my $350 for the RCC) -- I don't think a casual flier who ponies up an extra $25 once a year should get exactly the same benefits that I've earned through my loyalty to the airline.
My biggest concern would be when a "Premier for a Day" gets to select their E+ seat. I don't really care about Zone 1 too much - the only people I see getting their carry-ons tagged and hauled off are the Zone 4 or 5 people. But I would care a lot if it became too easy to buy an E+ seat for a nominal fee many weeks before a flight.

That would be detrimental to the frequent fliers who buy their seats closer to the flight time - by definition, the more valuable customers.

If UA rolls out "Premier for a Day", I hope they limit their ability to select an E+ seat to the OLCI window - just like it is today, where you can "buy up" if you are not 3P or higher. My take is that the perk wouldn't include an RCC pass, as they already sell those separately.

I would be fine with P for a D getting you C/F counter service if you need to check a bag, Zone 1 boarding, and an E+ seat - but only after the legitimate elites have already had dibs on their E+ seats.
Old Dec 14, 2006, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I'm really surprised no one has yet mentioned Northwest's BS premium charge for certain seats. I thought either every airline would start this or it would flop and NW would go back to handing out seats like everyone else. So far neither has happened. I can't believe they are getting away with it, but somehow they are.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by mia
Did you read the article? You will still be able to earn miles on the lowest fares, but you will pay for them. Everyone pays for them now, they are bundled into the price of the ticket. The proposed system would break out the non-essential elements of the ticket and price them separately.
Which, if they want to turn themselves into a Ryanair/easyJet-like European-style low-cost carrier, or closer to Southwest, is mostly fine. They would lose many customers but gain many others.

The trouble is with miles - why would one want to pay for them, except when going on a mileage run? The idea of a frequent flyer scheme is to reward loyalty, surely, and charging for them isn't really a way to do that. Better just to be honest and do away with miles on cheapo fares (like BA, I think) or do away with the FF scheme completely.

As far as "why should a middle seat cost the same as a window/aisle" goes, and the likes, that's adding unnecessary complexity and penny-pinching, IMO, like the idea of charging extra if you want sugar in your coffee. If you want to play that game, you should also ask "why should business class passengers subsidise lowest-fare economy class passengers", which is indeed what they do in a lot of cases now, certainly long-haul.

Neil
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Southwest, AirTran, and JetBlue will thank them if they do this.
Indeed, it'd play right into the hands of the LCCs. Ask people who don't fly WN (if it's a choice they have) why they don't and the cattle car seating and FFP have got to be among the top reasons.

Gordon Bethune also used to talk about doing the unbundled bit, but the customers will decide.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 9:33 am

some might argue that "premier for a day" is a fancy name to market what they already are doing. You can already get into the rcc club if i remember right by paying $50 for a day. And you can already pay to get economy plus on united. So in some senses it already takes place.

further if they are charging $50 a day to get into the rcc, it aint gonna be cheap to be premier for a day.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Question - but does anyone charge for checked bags these days? Sorry if stupid question..
Old Dec 16, 2006, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by mia
Did you read the article? You will still be able to earn miles on the lowest fares, but you will pay for them. Everyone pays for them now, they are bundled into the price of the ticket. The proposed system would break out the non-essential elements of the ticket and price them separately.
yeah, we pay for 'em... (and when we have to fight 'em to get the miles they forget to post, we pay with time and sweat equity in here!) but we don't wanna like knowwwwww we pay for 'em! (shhhh! my wife thinks the miles are still totally free!)

MM
Old Dec 16, 2006, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Flyer_70
Question - but does anyone charge for checked bags these days? Sorry if stupid question..
yeah if you dont wanna lose 'em, you should ship them and thusly pay for what they should be able to do for you but you dont trust them because it's like your skis headed for a short trip in Tahoe, or your expensive business stuff/papers or your coveted breastmilk (that they wont let a woman take on a plane if she is traveling without the baby) or your wedding dress/clothing or fine jewery or expensive perfume or fine wine from far off lands or art or...

well, you get the idea. Do you like really still trust the airlines to actually get that stuff to you all the time in one piece on time? We are being prompted to pay extra to get the norm these days and that is very sad.

MM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.