Community
Wiki Posts
Search

goldpoints - fly the concorde for $1111

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2001, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
As of a few minutes ago, the site was not accepting orders. Click "Buy", but you just get a screen that says "your shopping cart is empty."
Old Dec 20, 2001, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

i just clicked on buying one of the magazines, went to checkout and though i didn't buy anything, it let me get to the last step.

sure you didn't have a cookie problem?
Old Dec 20, 2001, 5:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
And no one believed me yesterday!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fireflyreaction:
hey there!

i can confirm that a CSR at goldpoints told me that "valuemags is no longer on the site". i think they've completely withdrawn from goldpoints.

i told him that the link was still active. he said "well, i'm told it's off". so i asked him if it was safe to assume that the promo was going to end today and he said yes.

hurry up
</font>
Old Dec 20, 2001, 5:06 pm
Suspended

I can get in through www.valuemags.com, but not GoldPoints.
Old Dec 20, 2001, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

hey

still works for me

Old Dec 20, 2001, 5:32 pm
Suspended

OK, I don't know what the deal was with the site, but I was just able to place another order.
Old Dec 20, 2001, 5:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, lowly UA Silver
For those who have gotten through to Valuemags over the phone, how did you do it?! Whenever I call it goes to the machine.

Also, I saw something on the Radisson board about this but do you all now get a goldpoints window saying that you'll get 450 points when you go into valuemags? Never had this before today and it's making me worry a bit my transactions won't be credited... Valuemags seems to be slow on e-mail as well.

Also these terms of the Goldpoints program aren't helping me to feel any better:

"Gold Points Corporation (D.B.A 24k Gold Points) ("Licensor") reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to terminate the Gold Points Rewards program, to add and delete Gold Points Rewards partners, and to alter, limit, modify or add to the Gold Points Rewards Program rules, regulations, terms and conditions, including but not limited to imposing time limits and changes in point values, rewards, and reward levels without prior notice at any time and from time to time."
Old Dec 20, 2001, 5:44 pm

Programs: QFF P1, DL Plat
I've just put in my $300 worth.

The way I see it, if I don't get the points I'll have to dispute the transaction with my credit card company.

I guess it was too good to last though.
Old Dec 20, 2001, 5:48 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

The credit card company is not responsible for the points not being posted. As long as your magazines are delievered, what does it have to do with them??
Old Dec 20, 2001, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SFO_2_MEL:
The way I see it, if I don't get the points I'll have to dispute the transaction with my credit card company.</font>
If it comes to that, do I have to dispute the ValueMags bills with my credit card company (Citibank AAdvantage) before I pay them? The 4-8 week delay in posting Gold Points to AAdvantage, and the fact that I use the card for other purchases, could make this confusing.

------------------
Middle_Seat
Old Dec 20, 2001, 5:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
Folks, Gold Points is not a dot com.

Gold Points is part of the Carlson Companies, a multibillion dollar company.

Among other Carlson Companies:
Carlson Wagonlit Travel
Radisson Hotels
T.G.I. Friday's
Carlson Marketing Group
Radisson Seven Seas
Regent Hotels

Once the points have been credited to your Gold Points account, I wouldn't worry about it. It's getting them in there that's the concern.

IIRC, Carlson also runs the U.S. version of Executive Club for British Airways.

As far as the economics of this deal, I would guess it's the magazine publishers who are footing the bulk of the bill. As someone correctly pointed out above, magazines make the bulk of their money off advertising. (A few exceptions ... e.g. Consumer Reports)

The more subscribers they have, the more they can charge for ads. The catch is according to auditing rules, they can't count you as a paid subscriber if they sell below a certain price.

But they can give ValueMags a lot of money to get you to sign up. (As long as ValueMags charges you enough that you're paid circ.) VM is incenting us to sign up through them.

I wouldn't be surprised if VM is losing money on the deal, but they're not bearing the full cost.
Old Dec 20, 2001, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

that's standard legaleese - i'm sure one of our lawyer-type friends here can attest to that. i don't think they can retroactively change the number of goldpoints awarded per dollar. it would constitute fraud. imagine being promised that you'd get a free blender with every mixer purchase. wow - great...two for one. i'll buy at that store! then suddenly they say NO BLENDER FOR YOU! well, you probably wouldn't have bought the mixer in the first place had you not been getting that blender.

mmm blender-action-drinks
Old Dec 20, 2001, 5:58 pm

It has never taken that long for the points to transfer from Goldpoints to any airline that I have used. They are very efficient. If you have your paperwork, I am sure you will get your Goldpoints and in turn can transfer the points to miles.(if you went through the site).
Old Dec 20, 2001, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fireflyreaction:
hey

still works for me

</font>
I got to the VM site via GoldPoints via Radisson. Seems to be ok.
Old Dec 20, 2001, 6:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
further info related to my post above

Gold Points Rewards Ownership
Gold Points Corporation is a subsidiary of Carlson Marketing Group, the world's leading Relationship Marketing company with international capabilities that span 27 countries. Carlson Marketing Group helps global Fortune 1000 clients improve their sales and profits by designing marketing strategies which create and strengthen relationships with employees, channel partners and consumers.

Carlson Marketing Group is one of the major operating groups of Carlson Companies, Inc., a $31 billion marketing, hospitality and travel company, and one of the largest privately held corporations in the United States.

Gold Points Corporation is headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.