goldpoints - fly the concorde for $1111

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

goldpoints - fly the concorde for $1111

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2001, 11:52 am

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Great idea, Rocky!! I am going to call my local schools around here to see if I can donate some mag their ways...

And, firefly, thanks for updating us the "latest" goldpoints situation!! Yeah, great job for getting those pts to your account so smoothly.

Merry Christmas, everyone!!
Old Dec 20, 2001, 11:53 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
I have a question regarding the promos for the discounts. Can I use the code more than once? For example, if I place several small orders, can I use the code each time? Thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2001, 1:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Neal:
I have a question regarding the promos for the discounts. Can I use the code more than once? For example, if I place several small orders, can I use the code each time? Thanks!</font>
Well, I used the "MILESMAG" code for 15% off and completed the order, then I put something in my cart and then pressed "CheckOut", and the discount is showing up again. I haven't tried clicking "Process Order". That code sure better work with getting Gold Points, I ordered about $2000 worth of magazines.
Old Dec 20, 2001, 1:34 pm

I posted over in Radisson about Hallmark.com. It is another gem of a deal that may appeal to more people that cannot justify spending so much at one time on magazines. They have Gift Certificates to over 300 stores.
Old Dec 20, 2001, 1:39 pm

I just got finished reading this entire thread and it just seems amazing. How is goldpoints affording all these miles when you transfer them? The math seems strange on this one, hope it all works out. For some reason I am laughing thinking about the folks over at Valuemag. They are in for one GOOD Christmas! Fourth Quarter earnings are going to be up somewhere near 10,000%. Ha Ha. BEHOLD THE POWER OF FLYERTALK!
Old Dec 20, 2001, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PlaneSpotter:
Well, I used the "MILESMAG" code for 15% off and completed the order, then I put something in my cart and then pressed "CheckOut", and the discount is showing up again.</font>
I just tried MILESMAG and it gave no discount. ebatesgift did give a 15% discount.

(Edited to add that the usual quick email confirmation has not arrived 15 minutes after placement of order.)

[This message has been edited by Middle_Seat (edited 12-20-2001).]
Old Dec 20, 2001, 2:39 pm

A $10,000 purchase would net 4,500,000 GoldPoints. Let's just say that Goldpoints is getting a 99% kickback from Valuemag (even though it must beless than that, the magazines cost something). That would mean that Goldpoints would receive from valuemag $9,900 in commission.

If Goldpoints is exchanging 4.5 mil points for 1,125,000 in airline miles, can one assume that they buy the miles from the airlines for ~.01 each? If so, those would cost Goldpoints $11,250.
Summary
For every 10,000 in magazine sells, Goldpoints is losing at least $1350.

This just doesn't make sense.

Comments?
Old Dec 20, 2001, 3:04 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Just talked to a rep at goldpoints. Take it for what it's worth but according to her TODAY IS THE LAST DAY FOR THE 450 POINT/DOLLAR PROMO! Dunno about you but I'm going for a million miles. Crazy me.
Old Dec 20, 2001, 3:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Middle_Seat:
I just tried MILESMAG and it gave no discount. ebatesgift did give a 15% discount.</font>
Sorry about that, I meant "MILESMAGS"
Old Dec 20, 2001, 3:17 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pointman:
A $10,000 purchase would net 4,500,000 GoldPoints. Let's just say that Goldpoints is getting a 99% kickback from Valuemag (even though it must beless than that, the magazines cost something). That would mean that Goldpoints would receive from valuemag $9,900 in commission.

If Goldpoints is exchanging 4.5 mil points for 1,125,000 in airline miles, can one assume that they buy the miles from the airlines for ~.01 each? If so, those would cost Goldpoints $11,250.
Summary
For every 10,000 in magazine sells, Goldpoints is losing at least $1350.

This just doesn't make sense.

Comments?
</font>
I dunno about anyone else, but I don't like the math either.

I'm getting my points out as quick as I can and redeeming my miles to boot.

Edited to add:

If for some reason you believe that Gold Points will be around for a while, there are a number of other partners who offer 150-225 points/dollar, which gives you a per airline mile range of 1.7c to 2.67c per mile. Better than a buck a mile on your cc.

[This message has been edited by Mikey likes it (edited 12-20-2001).]
Old Dec 20, 2001, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Now just hope that they don't go bust... I can imagine that the money for free concorde trips has to come out of someones pocket...</font>
Which is why I posted this very early in the thread... I hope the force is with you all....
Old Dec 20, 2001, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

hey guys!

actually, the math may very well work out.

goldpoints has a deal with the airlines that is 10:1 (recall the confusion earlier in the thread)

radisson is the one that has the deals with the airlines that lets you get 4:1 exchange.

(see the radisson forum - there is extensive discussion on this point)

does the math work out on the 10:1 exchange ratio

also, i think the point is well taken regarding the fact that magazines would sell for 1cent just to count people as subscribers. magazines make their money from advertisers. the more "paid subscriptions" the higher the advertising rate. i doubt they make any money at all on subscriptions themselves.

just my two cents
Old Dec 20, 2001, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

hey there!

i can confirm that a CSR at goldpoints told me that "valuemags is no longer on the site". i think they've completely withdrawn from goldpoints.

i told him that the link was still active. he said "well, i'm told it's off". so i asked him if it was safe to assume that the promo was going to end today and he said yes.

hurry up
Old Dec 20, 2001, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I have serious concerns about the math. It would not be the first time a website got into hot water. What happens then? They have your money. You have a bankrupt company with NO assets and you also have NO points and NO magazines (hence, NO tax deduction) and NO trip on the Concorde. I would advise caution.

Signed, Wet Blanket
Old Dec 20, 2001, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

yes - but you paid by credit card.

if they go bankrupt, then you can dispute the charge and you're find.

it happened with the people who purchased tickets on Canada 3000.

cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.