goldpoints - fly the concorde for $1111

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

goldpoints - fly the concorde for $1111

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2001, 1:09 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
how are you all giving mags for gifts? can you change mailing addresses later on after you buy them all? thanks!

ps great deal!
Old Dec 23, 2001, 1:25 am

I'm sorry but can someone tell me how to set up the automatic transfer that was mentioned in this thread? "You can set it up to go automatically, whenever you've hit the 2K threshold."
Thanks much! Lynne
Old Dec 23, 2001, 2:37 am
Suspended

To set up the automatic deposit just call goldpoints, 1-800-508-9000 (8am to 8pm CST everyday) and request the automatic transfer to the airline of your choice. Their automatic transfers take place once a week, I think they deduct on Thursdays from your account and then initiate the transfer on sundays to the airlines, which then post within a few days to a week, i.e. the points will leave your account each thursday but they will post to your airline account, dated 3 days later (sunday), and within a week or so...
Old Dec 23, 2001, 2:55 am

i was just thinking about this further...and it seems unbelievable! if i buy $1094 of magazines i earn enough points for roundtrip airfare for 2 to Hawaii and 5 nights at the Radisson Kauai Beach Resort.

if you spend $1288.88 (before 15% discount) you earn 580,000 goldpoints. redeem 280,000 of them for two 35k hawaii tickets and redeem the other 300,000 for the Radisson resort (i'm assuming the beach resort qualifies as a tier 3) and you've got yourself a pretty sick 5 night Hawaiian vacation for under $1100. is that right?

[This message has been edited by broadwayblue (edited 12-23-2001).]
Old Dec 23, 2001, 6:16 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by broadwayblue:
i was just thinking about this further...and it seems unbelievable!]</font>
Yes, it's an unbelievable deal from a dot.com. It's OK for funds you can afford to lose, but I wouldn't spend the rent money on it.

------------------
Middle_Seat
Old Dec 23, 2001, 9:18 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tummyg:
To set up the automatic deposit just call goldpoints, 1-800-508-9000 (8am to 8pm CST everyday) and request the automatic transfer to the airline of your choice</font>
Is the 4:1 redemption ratio also only available by phone, and not on the goldpoints web site?

Old Dec 23, 2001, 9:22 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I decided not to use any of the discount codes. This way I spend more $ and get more miles per magazine, and I maximize their income on the transaction so that the deal is more likely to continue. I suggest that others do the same, and pay full price. It's the least we can do while collecting our miles.
Old Dec 23, 2001, 9:35 am

Programs: United, AA Gold, InsideFlyer subscriber
(newbie; first post)

Great thread. Spent about $1000 so far. Here's my question. I usually just travel 1 or 2 times a year from the US, but always overseas (singapore, hong kong, etc). I earn 20-25,000 miles each time but I haven't stayed on one carrier long enough to earn a free ticket yet.

I am intrigued by the AA 1-million mile lifetime level, but after reading lots of older threads I am not sure if is something I should strive for. Gold status for life (of program/airline) sounds okay, but it looks like one round-the-world trip each year would get me close to gold status.
Basically I'm torn between putting my forthcoming miles in NorthWest or AA. I'm in Texas, so I'll probably fly AA much more whenever I start doing more domestic travel. But Northwest offers a free trip overseas at ~54,000 miles, while I imagine AA is closer to 80k miles(?).

So a question - 2 RT overseas on Northwest and I'm close to a free ticket. It would take 3 RT overseas trips on AA to do the same thing. But with AA Gold Status, would
that narrow the gap between AA and NW
(25,000x150%[gold status] x 2 trips = 75,000 miles)?

In the short term, 250,000 FF miles would get me 5 RT oversea trips on Northwest, but only 3, I think, on American.

I have many more years of travel ahead. Should I sacrifice now and go with AA and shoot for 1 milion miles, or more instant gratification and feret away miles with Northwest giving me 5 rt trips for the next few years?

Last question - Do million mile flyers get yearly upgrade passes, or is it one time when you join the 'club'? And would the passes be good for domestic only or perhaps international flights too?

Thanks!
Midnight

[This message has been edited by midnightio (edited 12-23-2001).]
Old Dec 23, 2001, 9:57 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
All of my points posted today. all 1,107,000 of them from magazines I ordered on the 19th and 20th.

NSX: Just for the record, the points you get are for the "pre discount" amount. Example: you spend $100 on magazines, use the 15% of code and your cost is $85, you get 45000 points...

Flip

[This message has been edited by flipside (edited 12-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by flipside (edited 12-23-2001).]
Old Dec 23, 2001, 10:03 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

For faster shopping on a dial-up modem, key in the name of the next magazine in the quick search box directly from the shopping cart screen.
Old Dec 23, 2001, 11:19 am

i'm not sure i understand what the lifetime gold membership with AA gets you. i checked their website but all i could find was this:

Access to the AAdvantage Gold Hot Line for reservations, special seating or meal requests, as well as upgrade requests and purchases
Faster, more convenient check-in and boarding
Flight bonuses when you fly on American Airlines®, American Eagle® and participating carriers
Complimentary upgrades so you can enjoy a higher class of service on flights within the U.S., Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, The Bahamas and Bermuda. You'll earn four upgrades for every 10,000 base miles purchased and flown on participating flights
Upgrade reservations 24 hours prior to departure
Discounted Admirals Club® memberships
Priority check-in, preferred seating and priority standby and waitlisting on any oneworld™ alliance airlines.
Business Class Check-in and Pre-boarding

is that worth a million miles or am i missing something?
Old Dec 23, 2001, 11:44 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Today, Sunday, sometime between 9 AM and noon-thirty all but 1,500 of my GoldPoint balance disappeared. I assume that this is due to the automatic transfer feature to AAdvantage.

I don't know how long it will take them to show up on aa.com.

------------------
Middle_Seat
Old Dec 23, 2001, 11:50 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by broadwayblue:
is that worth a million miles or am i missing something?</font>
The big advantage is having the ability to possibly upgrade on every paid flight. Another big plus, (especially since 9/11,) is the special check-in lines at the ticket counters. Also, with lifetime status, you need not worry about re-qualifying every year.

I just recently reached lifetime Gold "normally." But I'm now going for lifetime Platinum with the magazines. After applying the 15% discount to the magazines, I'm paying roughly $850.00 per 100,000 miles. A first class ticket on AA is 40,000 miles which comes out to roughly $300.00. I'll have enough miles for over 20 of them!!!

Old Dec 23, 2001, 11:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
IF YOU ARE BUYING MAGAZINES FOR THE MILES PLEAS READ!!

I contacted a non-profit organization which collects magazines (I think for the homeless.) But they just responded to me today and I'm finished buying subscriptions. If any of you will be buying more magazines, perhaps you can help them out.

Here's the reply I just received from "ReRead."

Thank you. We would greatly appreciate magazine donations. We need mostly
magazines of general interest, such as Time, People, and Parent's Weekly,
Woman's Day, etc.

Please send the magazines to:
ReREAD
11718 Barrington Court, PMB 373
Los Angeles, CA 90049-2930

Thank you very much for your interest in helping us.

Happy Holidays!

ReREAD
11718 Barrington Court, PMB 373
Los Angeles, CA 90049
310.472.4693 fax
www.reread.org
Old Dec 23, 2001, 1:15 pm

Programs: United, AA Gold, InsideFlyer subscriber
Yes, Lifetime Platinum would be much more tempting for me. Better beneifts and no need to requalify, however, at 2,000,000 miles and somewhere over $16,000 it's more than I care to take on right now.
Heck, 2 million Northwest FF miles would allow me 40 RT oversea coach flights. I imagine things will have changed a good deal before I could ever use them all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.