Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequent Flyer program out of Newark?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2002, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Frequent Flyer program out of Newark?

I am a happy Continental OnePass frequent flyer as they have competitive fares and many flights out of my home airport, Newark. However, I had to book an upcoming trip to Europe on British Airways.

I am looking for a U.S. airline's frequent flyer program to join to accumulate miles for this trip, and other future trips when I cannot use Continental.

Is there another U.S. airline (not Continental) that?:
(a) is a partner airline with British Airways
(b) has competitive fares
(c) has many flights out of Newark, or maybe LGA/JFK.

Thanks!

Old Jan 26, 2002, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi Harpua,

At the moment you cannot get miles on AA Advantage if you fly with BA transatlantic.
You colud join HP Flight Fund (America West) which would give you miles flying with BA.

I do not know of any other FF programs affiliated with BA which could earn you miles.
Old Jan 26, 2002, 4:02 pm

I'm an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member using EWR, LGA, JFK and SWF. Non-stop destinations via AA full-size jets include ORD, DFW, MIA, STL, LAX, SFO, LHR, SJU, PBI, FLL and MCO. Otherwise, you need to be content with aircraft changes at ORD, DFW, STL or MIA. American Eagle destinations are too numerous to mention. The Admirals Clubs at EWR (inside security), LGA (inside security) and JFK (outside security) are very helpful.
Old Jan 26, 2002, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by The _Banking_Scot:

I do not know of any other FF programs affiliated with BA which could earn you miles.
</font>
AS

Old Jan 26, 2002, 6:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by moondog:
AS

</font>
I'll second the vote for AS. Granted, they don't fly out of EWR, but their partnership is so vast (BA, AA, CO, NW, etc.) that it doesn't really matter whether you end up flying them on a regular basis or not.

Mike

Old Jan 27, 2002, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the responses.

what's AS?

I'm leaning towards joining AA frequent flyer program with the many flights out of nyc airports. Although, it would be nice to get credit for the BA miles with someone else besides American West.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Harpua:
what's AS?
</font>
Alaska.

They have a great program.

Edited to add... sign up for their program and then for My Alaska Air and you'll get 1,000 bonus miles...
https://www2.alaskaair.com/ssl/myala...tartCreate.asp

[This message has been edited by gleff (edited 01-27-2002).]
Old Jan 27, 2002, 2:54 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
it's even better than that, actually. last i checked they were still giving 500 bonus miles for opening a mileage plan account online, PLUS the 1000 miles for the myalaskaair account.
Old Jan 27, 2002, 3:30 pm

There is one advantage that BA has that no other airlines have: a "household" account. Up to four people can be a part of this account. I've got my girlfriend and two of her nephews in mine. Her nephews haven't flown with us but they allow us to pick up extra miles. Recently BA gave 250 miles to update accounts - thus an easy 500 miles.

[This message has been edited by doctorphil (edited 01-27-2002).]
Old Jan 27, 2002, 5:17 pm

Location: new brunswick, new jersey and farmington, conn. USA
also, if you fly to LA, Dallas, Chicago, Raleigh-Durham or Boston often enough, AA has plenty of nonstop service to all these places.

and let me just say that i'm a happy mid-tier CO flier for the most part, but AA's service on the trip i most recently took was truly excellent to the point i think they'll be getting my EWR-LAX business in the future.

Old Jan 27, 2002, 8:27 pm

Uh. You might consider BA's program. With the flight that you have coming up and use of their Affinity card, you might generate some substantial miles which could then be used on US carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.