flying & staying in Hawaii - Maui

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2002, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott BONVOY PLAT Lifetime PLATINUM, 16 years elite; AA 2MM LTPlat, UA, US, DL

I am cross-eyed from reading all this, and would like some help from the "savvy" travelors in the forums. I made AA platinum and SPG platinum and have decided that this is the year we will tke the kids (21 & 18)to Hawaii. I can handle the flight search, but is there something I am missing regarding hotel "coupons" and decent discounted rooms with ocean views? seems a shame to be there once and not have the full experience but the room rates I am seeing are high, considering I want two rooms in June for ten nights. We have status with Hilton and Fairmont as well, but want to stay on Maui. Thank you FT!
Old Jan 21, 2002, 1:47 am

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
room rates are always high on Maui you may want to start looking for a 2 bedroom condo it will be alot less than two rooms.
Old Jan 21, 2002, 4:22 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
I strongly recommend a 2 BR condo - you will save a lot even if you only have breakfast in the condo as meals on Maui are also expensive. We like Noelani condos just north of Lahaina. If money is very tight try the Kihei area.
Old Jan 21, 2002, 6:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I strongly recommend leaving the kids behind!
Old Jan 21, 2002, 8:26 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Scigirl posted this on another thread someone had asking about discounted rooms on Maui (specifically the Grand Wailea) recently . Perhaps some of her information will help. Living in Hawaii, she may have been getting the discounted locals' rate, but could be worth a try.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I live in Hawaii and often book interisland trips with Hawaii Travel Wholesalers - 808 538 1900. Other Hawaii agents include Roberts Overnighters (808 523 7935) or Pleasant Island Holidays (800 654 4386). Not every agent deals with every hotel - but they seem to be able to get rooms at pretty significant discounts. My memory is that last time I went to Maui Hawaii Travel Wholesalers was able to get rooms at Grand Wailea.</font>
Old Jan 21, 2002, 10:11 am

Programs: several
Our favorite is Napili Kai Beach Resort on Napili Bay on NW Maui near Kapalua. It's a little expensive, but it's just fantastic!
Old Jan 21, 2002, 10:16 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LISAA:
We have status with Hilton and Fairmont as well, but want to stay on Maui. Thank you FT!</font>
Please consider the Fairmont Kea Lani on the Wailea coast of Maui. Fabulous resort, impeccible rooms (all suites) and a very attentive staff. I forget the name of their main restaurant but it was exceptionally good back in 1996.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop
Old Jan 21, 2002, 10:19 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dingo:
I strongly recommend leaving the kids behind!</font>
Bah! We took out extremely well-behaved 3yr old with us to Oahu and Kauai in February 2001 and had a blast! Most kids this age forget what they did a day earlier but he still talks about his trip to Hawaii with great detail.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop
Old Jan 21, 2002, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Plat HH Diamond
You might consider Priceline. I just did and got $95 room at Hilton Hawaiian Village in Honolulu. Way less than published rate. To learn more, first go to
www.biddingfortravel.com
It's something of a gamble, but much less with the advice from bidding for travel.
Old Jan 21, 2002, 11:23 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
The Entertainment books have "half price" offers at many of the Aston properties in Maui - the Aston Kaanapali Shores and Aston Papakea I think are the nicest condos - and also at the Renaissance Wailea and the Outrigger Wailea, both excellent hotels.

Although Hilton HHonors doesn't have any properties on Maui, the Kea Lani is now part of Fairmont.
Old Jan 21, 2002, 11:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
We are going to Maui in February and will be staying at the Sheraton Maui in a mountain view room for $210 and at the Outrigger Wailea in an ocean view room for $213. We are using a UA 50% off coupon for the Sheraton and got the relatively low rate at the Outrigger selecting "travel club rates" off of their website. I tried everything I could think of to find low rates at 4 star hotel and this is the best we could come up with.

We did consider doing the condo thing but decided our kids would get a bigger kick out staying at a hotel resort. Since we are flying on award tickets, we decided that we could splurge on the hotels.

Good luck.
Old Jan 21, 2002, 1:04 pm

LISAA,

Since you are SPG Plat you may have enough points to pull this off. The Kapalua Bay Hotel is 40,000 points for 4 nights with the 5th night free. 80,000 points gets you 10 nights for free and the hotel is fabulous. If you don't have the points you can get the 35% resort discount which puts the rate @ $293.00 a night. Stayed there for six nights in June of 2000.

http://www.kapaluabay.com

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 21, 2002, 1:27 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I'll second the vote for the Kea Lani - it's out favorite resort on Maui. We've stayed several times since they opened, but rooms have gone up considerably in recent times. All rooms are suites and they have a wonderful to-go type food store with incredible desserts. The beach area is small, but there's a wonderful walking trail along the shoreline that connects all the other resorts in the area.

Regarding taking your kids, I think some people missed that they are adults. Have a great time.
Old Jan 21, 2002, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it was me I would sell the kids on www.ebay.com and take the money and have a real blast in HI after you read figgur how much you wanna spend on the rooms, the food etc. It will probably greatly influence where you stay.

Some nice lower to medium cost accommodations are at www.outrigger.com or www.robertshawaii.com and they have a lotta properties on all the nice islands. I have used both and happily recommend both. Maui is still a good choice whether you sell or keep your kids. I have kept mine but some times I wondered if it was a good choice.........especially when on vacation.

MisterNice
Old Jan 21, 2002, 6:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Gold; Starwood Gold; UAL Premier; Delta Silver
LISAA,

We've been going to Maui every March for the last 18 years. We've always taken the kids. No problem there. They love it. So much, in fact, that our 23 year old daughter moved there to work for Marriott. She lives in Napili in our condo. She's here visiting now and suggests that you call Marriott and ask them for the 5 night prospective time share owner package. It's $800 and includes a car. You have to do an hour presentation while you're there but they are very low pressure. Just walk through and say no! Make sure you request a two bedroom villa. It's a great property now that they spent 80 million in the last two years. Enjoy!

[This message has been edited by TAVGlobal (edited 01-21-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.