Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Help! I have 400,000 Gold Points -- what airline should I deposit them with?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2001, 12:07 am
Original Poster

I should have 100,000 miles to deposit in either my NW, UA, or DL account soon. I'd like to use them to go to Australia next year in business class.

I'm thinking UA is my best option from Boise, but I fly NW more often.

Also, do I get any sort of special status for having 100,000 miles put in my NW or UA account? I've never had any sort of status before. I've never earned a single point on UA before, and I only have 7,000 lifetime on NW. (I fly non-rev a lot)

Thanks!
Old Dec 22, 2001, 5:02 am

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
AFAIK (and I'm about 98% sure) you aren't going to get anything on either of those airlines except for the miles in your acct.

Pick whichever airline flies to the destinations you are most likely to travel to.
Old Dec 22, 2001, 12:44 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
yeah, no status, sorry. AFAIK, status can only be earned the 'hard' way, but planting your butt in a seat and flying miles.

have fun with those goldpoints!
Old Dec 22, 2001, 1:07 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Please note that in the future any new Goldpoints thread will be moved to the appropriate board:

S.P.A.M.
Sites with Points and Alternative Miles, including referral bonuses, congas, MyPoints, ClickRewards and AllAdvantage

------------------
Craig6z
Buzz & United Moderator
[email protected]
Old Dec 22, 2001, 5:31 pm

Programs: BD / BA / AF
SPAM isn't really the appropriate place for the threads. Isn't the appropriate forum Radisson?

Also, given the huge potential of what the Goldpoint arbitrage has to offer, I would have thought that this is something that's truly "buzz-worthy" and deserves to be brought front-and-centre.
Old Dec 22, 2001, 6:04 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA; temporarily in Pensacola Beach, FL; no, I have NO elite status in ANYTHING yet - but working on AA Lifetime GLD!
Indeed. I wouldn't have known about the GP/VM offer if this wasn't in MilesBuzz. Given that the promotion ends in a week, maybe we should just live with the comments in MilesBuzz, as they'll all die down after the promo ends on 12/31...

- Sameer
Old Dec 23, 2001, 3:00 am
Suspended

Goldpoints being the currency of Radisson, and threads relating thereto do NOT belong in SPAM.

This thread does belong in Radisson, it isn't Buzzworthy and everyone now being aware of the VM deal should be researching / discussing issues within the Radisson Forum.
Old Dec 23, 2001, 6:28 am

Spuddbrother, the only place to gain status on non-flown miles is on AA, where 1,000,000 gets you lifetime Gold.

[This message has been edited by SAN man (edited 12-24-2001).]
Old Dec 23, 2001, 6:44 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tummyg:
Goldpoints being the currency of Radisson, and threads relating thereto do NOT belong in SPAM.</font>
Goldpoints may be Radisson's currency, but most of these threads are about using them as points for various airlines, just as Clickrewards were, MyPoints are, etc.

Having the threads all over the place (some in the Radisson forum, some in this one, etc) is ludicrous. I agree with the moderator. SPAM is definitely the best place for them.
Old Dec 23, 2001, 10:29 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
BA points are porbably the most valuable if you look at their award chart.
Old Dec 23, 2001, 10:53 am

SanMan, neophyte FT person here.

Did I read you correctly: AA will give lifetime status to an individual who cranks out 1 mln of their miles in any way, shape, or form?

I utilize the AAdvantage cards in business. Currently I have approx 465,000 miles from the cards over the past couple of years. Am I in the running or am I jogging in place?

Thanks.

------------------
Only one thing endures & that is character.
- Greeley
Old Dec 23, 2001, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I wouldn't move points anywhere until you have a confirmed reservation for what you want to fly with an award. No point moving the miles into UA, for example, if UA doesn't have capacity when you want to go...
Old Dec 24, 2001, 7:39 am

Snake - You are "spot on" as they say in London... AA gives you lifetime Gold for 1 million miles no matter how you get here. So you are almost half way there my friend. (now if you keep getting the heave ho - then the miles won't do you much good will they?

And Spud brother if you want someplace to deposit the miles --- AA - acount number C****** - I will be happy to trade the rest of my info for your miles. HA.

Actually since you fly non-rev alot -- put the miles where you think people you might want to give certificates to -- for example a family member who flys out of Dallas or LGW or whereever.
Since the miles won't do you much good == assume you fly non-rev whenever you want. ANd if I understand the program correctly - you can't upgrade non-rev seats.

Just my $.02

------------------
TANSTAAFL - but if you work it right, FF miles comes pretty close.
Old Dec 24, 2001, 9:31 am

Yow !! CFM3RD, you're a funny cat !!

Needless to, Snake Pliskin will be making cell calls from the jetway in the future, or not at all. Don't need the heat!!

So...this is amazing news for me re: lifetime gold AA for using the credit card. I had no idea. Another benefit from the FT aces!

I checked the AA website, could find nada on the topic. Any leads on where to read about this / apply for it when the time is right?

Are any other airlines doing a similar program with credit cards?

------------------
Only one thing endures & that is character.
- Greeley
Old Dec 24, 2001, 3:57 pm

Snake, you get lifetime plat at 2 mill on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.