Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

50 cent US Air flights?

50 cent US Air flights?

Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

50 cent US Air flights?

I read US Airways is advertising 50 cent fares starting Feb. 1st as part of their new Mastercard promo. Does anyone know anything about this? It seems too good to be true. For instance, will they offer one flight per day that's snatched up at 12:00:01?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:18 pm

You can check
www.50centflights.com for more info. But it does look like it'll be hard to get. You have to first sign up for the card. Then, you have to be among the first clicksters on the site at certain designated times on certain days to catch one of the fares.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:20 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by jtw5a
I read US Airways is advertising 50 cent fares starting Feb. 1st as part of their new Mastercard promo. Does anyone know anything about this? It seems too good to be true. For instance, will they offer one flight per day that's snatched up at 12:00:01?
The offer is being announced in banner advertising at the top of some FT webpages. It is for a card with the new player in the HP/US credit card game, Barclays through Juno Bank. They are moving in on the old player, BofA, which previously had an exclusive agreement with US before HP and US merged.

The 50 cent fares sound like they will be true longshots to get. The card, however, unlike the BofA one, will carry no annual fee for the first two years.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:46 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I had no problem getting several $2 fares on US last summer
Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
OK, I bit. I signed up for the card. Needed the 15k to reach a desired award level to begin with, but I gotta admit the FT banner ad is what piqued my interest. I give US Air and their interactive agency some credit: it's a unique campaign and I imagine it'll be fairly successful as these things go.

My guess is that the 50-cent flights will be sort of like the whole Amex My Life thing. There will be some less-attractive offers that are reasonably easy to obtain, and then they'll give away a few seats on a sexy route (Europe, Mexico, Central America, etc.) to drive some buzz, but it'll be close to impossible to actually get a seat. I just grabbed the card for the free miles. ^
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I got the new card as well. No fee for two years, 50% bonus for the first year on all purchases and a spend of 25k gets 10k counted toward status. All discussed in the USAir forum.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:07 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
50 cents! That's about what it is worth. I felt ripped off on the $20 FC ART fares. Especially the breakfast flights. A cold ham and cheese sandwich (from the same box meal that they sell in coach.)
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dingo
I got the new card as well. No fee for two years, 50% bonus for the first year on all purchases and a spend of 25k gets 10k counted toward status. All discussed in the USAir forum.
And 3 miles/$ on US Airways purchases.

I will still be using my Amex as a primary spend card - I'd rather have 1 SPG than 1.5 US - but I applaud them for putting together a compelling offer with some real value-add vs. most other cards in the category.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:01 pm

Programs: American EXP, Hilton Diamond
the flight has to be under $500
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by mbtmsu
the flight has to be under $500
What "flight" are you referring to? And that flight has "to be under $500" for what to happen? Please explain.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:10 pm

if i read the terms correctly, it says that your ticket can not exceed $500
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:16 pm

maybe i am wrong though
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by mbtmsu
if i read the terms correctly, it says that your ticket can not exceed $500
Can you be specific - exactly what terms are you referring to, and what does/doesn't happen if your ticket costs >$500? How do your posts pertain to the prospect of 50 cent tickets to somewhere for a few and/or the credit card tied to the promo?
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:09 pm

Programs: WN DL UA AA CO US FL BA, PC Plat
Are we sure they'll offer round trips at 50 cents each way? I remember Spirit Air had a similar promotion a few month ago, cheapo fares going out one way, regular fares returning.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:20 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by vaikinas2
Are we sure they'll offer round trips at 50 cents each way? I remember Spirit Air had a similar promotion a few month ago, cheapo fares going out one way, regular fares returning.
As you'd expect, this is all laid out in the Terms and Conditions available on their site.

I'm sure that it'll be round trip and I'm sure that it'll be incredibly hard to score one. Just think lucky thoughts.

peace,
~Ben~

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.