Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nation's Blood Supply Low--Give Blood Now

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2001, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Nation's Blood Supply Low--Give Blood Now

I'm taking my people with me and heading to the bloodbanks to give blood. This is an emergency, get out and give all you can spare.
Old Sep 11, 2001, 12:31 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Excellent idea! My family and I give 4 times/year like clockwork. My wife already asked if she could give again.

The NYC blood supply was already dangerously low prior to the attack.

If you are O neg especially, your blood is really needed.

Save a life. Donate today!

UPDATE:

Blood Donation Centers

Borough Hospital Address Phone
Manhattan St. Clare's Hospital & Health Center 426 W. 52nd St. 212-586-1500
Manhattan New York Blood Center 310 East 67th Street (between 1st and 2nd Avenues)
Manhattan New York Blood Center 150 Amsterdam Avenue (66-67th Streets)
Brooklyn New York Blood Center 120 Lawrence St. near MetroTech 212-586-1500
Manhattan St. Vincent’s Hospital & Medical Center 7th Ave. at 11th St. 212-604-7000
Brooklyn St. Mary’s Hospital 170 Buffalo Ave. 718-221-3000
Queens- Flushing St. Joseph’s Hospital 15840 79th Ave. 718-558-6200
Queens- Jamaica St. Vincent’s Medical Center of Richmond 355 Bard Ave. 718-876-1234
Staten Island Mary Immaculate Hospital 15211 89th Ave. 718-558-2000
For more details on available donor locations, call 1-800-933-2566 or visit

www.nybloodcenter.org.

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 09-11-2001).]
Old Sep 11, 2001, 12:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I was told to not donate today in MSP. Apparently they are swamped here, and are requesting people set up appointments. They added that they can't get blood to NYC from here due to the groundings.

But everyone on the east coast go today. Everyone else, set up an appointment and go regularly.
Old Sep 11, 2001, 12:49 pm

Santa Cruz, CA Red Cross is not accepting donations. "You can come back Sept 28," I was told. I felt rejected, my wanting to contribute was perceived as worthless. <sigh> I asked how come we weren't participating, wasn't Santa Crua part of the naton? "Oh, staff is busy. You could drive (45 miles) to San Jose."

Sylvia
Old Sep 11, 2001, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I am in Reston VA, near IAD, I can't find a place to donate, Can anyone in the area or from this area advise????
Old Sep 11, 2001, 1:12 pm

I just walked over to the big hospitals down my street to see if I could donate -- they are overwhelmed. We've been told to please help spread it out by donating tomorrow or in the next few days.

People here are devastated -- some people knew pax on the two Logan flights. All our prayers go to the victims and their families.
Old Sep 11, 2001, 2:27 pm
doc

It is reportedly now the greatest outpouring of folks to donate blood ever in NYC.
Old Sep 11, 2001, 2:39 pm

if you're in the DC area, NIH is open for donations until 10 pm. but you've got to call 301-496-1048 before heading over, as they need names and some other info---and you'll have to have some sort of ID to get past security screening. There's also a wait of two to three hours, so bring a book.

The local hospitals were caught off guard and none of the suburban MD ones have donation centers up and running. They're telling people to call the national red cross donation line, but we tried for three hours and couldn't get through.

The Wednesday papers should have other donation centers listed.
Old Sep 11, 2001, 3:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
We have two donation centers in San Antonio that were on the news asking for blood. I went to one well before noon. There were well over a hundred people ahead of me. I was told to come back tomorrow.

From what I understand the other center was much more swamped. Here in San Antonio we are unprepared for aiding (at least via blood donation) in a disaster like this.
Old Sep 11, 2001, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
I give blood in Denmark every 3 months (that's what's the safe interval is, I think) but I can see that really does not help in this situation.

Is there not a big stockpile of blood in the US as there is in Denmark?
Old Sep 11, 2001, 3:57 pm

Goldlust - For quite some time now (months?) there have been repeated news reports in the U.S. of extremely low blood supplies, with almost nothing in reserve.
Old Sep 11, 2001, 5:54 pm
jsm

Location: Northridge, CA, - AA EXP 3 MM , Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC, Lots of other programs and points
Being stranded here in Chicago I tried to give blood today, but was turned away due to so many people already waiting. When I get home I will make an appointment with the Red Cross.
Old Sep 11, 2001, 6:05 pm

If you are unable to donate blood because of a medical condition, then send a contribution the American Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.
Old Sep 11, 2001, 7:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SylviaCaras:
Santa Cruz, CA Red Cross is not accepting donations. "You can come back Sept 28," I was told. I felt rejected, my wanting to contribute was perceived as worthless. &lt;sigh&gt; I asked how come we weren't participating, wasn't Santa Crua part of the naton? "Oh, staff is busy. You could drive (45 miles) to San Jose."

Sylvia
</font>
There is a 4-5 hr wait in the San Jose Red Cross blood center as they are swamped by the outpour of people wanting to help however they can.

However the need for blood will continue for weeks so if you can't get in now, do try again later.
Old Sep 11, 2001, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
Keep in mind that not only is blood needed but other types of help including financial assistance. There's a link on the main page for yahoo.com for American Red Cross cash donations via Yahoo PayDirect. There are a lot of families who will need help.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think life insurance policies have a terrorist attack disclaimer. Our first priority as citizens is to help those who need us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.