Search

ALL US Airports closed for at least 48 hours

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2001, 12:18 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
ALL US Airports closed for at least 48 hours

The Governor of North Carolina just announced that all US airports will be closed for at least 48 hours.
Old Sep 12, 2001, 12:22 am

Programs: 1MM BIS. Former 18-year segment 1K, 1997-2014...now just a distant memory.
What I have read indicates a flight hold until noon Wednesday (24 hours?) or until noon CST according to United website.
Old Sep 12, 2001, 6:16 am

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
Beckles: While I respect Mike Easley, I don't see him as an authority on much of anything outside our fair state. After all, looks like CLT may reopen at noon Wednesday (depending on what the FAA says).
Old Sep 12, 2001, 7:39 am
Original Member

Programs: OnePass
The FAA has invoked the SCATANA (Security and Control of Air Traffic And Navigation Aids) plan grounding all aircraft in United States airspace until at least noon today (September 12). First time it's ever been actually invoked -- it was originally designed to secure airspace and deny enemy use of navigation aids in the event of a nuclear war or national emergency.
Old Sep 12, 2001, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Does anyone know whether the GPS signal has been degraded by the USAF?
Old Sep 12, 2001, 11:05 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
All airlines except CO have just cancelled all flights out of PHX today. As this is not exactly a hotbed of terrorism - I imagine this is being replicated across the country
Old Sep 12, 2001, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just inquired with United about an International flight I am scheduled to depart on tomorrow (Thursday) out of LAX.

I was advised it was still listed on time, but that my true departure was still unknown due to incoming equipment still being abroad (she said she thought it was in Vancouver).

She did advise me of the following additional security measures that I could expect:

- Cars may not be able to "drop-off" passengers at the curb. Only approved airport transport (parking lot shuttles, hotel shuttles, taxis, etc) may be permitted. "You may need to be dropped off at an airport parking lot to transfer to a shuttle bus." She said if this is required, that arrangenments for additional service to try to accomodate the added pax will be made.

- If cars are permitted, all cars will be searched.

- No curbside check-in at all.

- All pax must have a paper copy/reciept of their E-Ticket. No exceptions.

- Only ticketed passengers will be permitted into the terminal.

- All hand carryon will be hand searched by armed officers.

- No knives, corkscrews, screwdrivers, or any other sharp devise that could be used as a weapon.

- Personal electronic devises (laptops, cellphones, etc) may be subject to extreme security measures.

Because of the above, passengers should expect additional traffic delays approaching the airport, and should allow for at least a minimum of 3 hours prior to departure time for arriving at the airport area.

That's what she advised me for LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.