Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

You and your Boss, Upgrades and not. . .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You and your Boss, Upgrades and not. . .

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2005, 7:54 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat Elite, Continental Gold, bmi Silver, SPG Plat, HiltonDiamond
I dont think domestic first class is a good enough experience to risk upsetting a CEO for a few free drinks.

As the boss, I have always seen corporate travel as an opportunity to get to know colleagues better, so we try to sit together. If I was upgraded and a collegue was not I would decline the upgrade for a short flight. It it was a long haul flight it would be no issue - we would all be in the same class (nromally C).

I sacked one of my European PR agencies after a trip where they sat in First class and I was in business (after that trip I looked at their invoices and decided they were over charging).

I also though it was bad manners to over indulge themselves when their client was being sensible with expenses. If they had downgraded themselves to business they would have kept the contract.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer23
At the time, I was new to the whole frequent flyer game, I didn't know that I'd get a first class seat until I showed up at the airport, and I didn't know that my customer would be on the flight until a few minutes before boarding -- so I was very poorly equipped to handle the situation. Today, if I knew I'd be flying with a customer (or my boss, for that matter), I would call the airline ahead of time to cancel my upgrade request. It's not worth any potential ramifications, just to sit in crappy domestic first (I'm a 100% domestic traveler) for an hour or two.
I had a very similar experience, except I had no status, and I'm guessing I was upgraded just out of the gate agent's loving kindness (I use a wheelchair). I was flying with 2 colleagues (both senior to me). And of course, because of the wheelchair, I was pre-boarded.

I felt bad about flying first with my senior colleagues in coach (one of them was in Row 30+, very miserable), but really didn't know how to handle it.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 1:18 pm

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
Ive never had to worry, our CEO taskes the company Jet
Old Sep 3, 2005, 7:24 pm

Programs: UAL1K 2MM UGS, Hilton Gold
I've gone far (miles) and far (days) out of my way to avoid this exact situation.

My boss is one of those guys who would SAY he has no problem with it, but who would use it for ever more.

For this reason I've taken un-needed connections and advanced trip start / delayed trip completion to make certain to avoid identical flights.

Fortunately, boss is quite loyal to LH - and me to UA. The majority of our opportunities to go together are SFO-MUC. Much as I'd love the non-stop LH (at least I'd love the non-stop part of it), I've never once taken it. Far as the boss is concerned I 'prefer' UA connections in LHR or FRA.

Once we had a close call when I was booked on UA 900 SFO-FRA. The boss was on LH 454 which departs within minutes on the same route. The two flights were even sharing a gate lounge in SFO. LH was oversold and he was on the list to jump over to UA. Would have been very uncomfortable as I had a D fare upgraded to F and he had a last minute Y. Fortunately LH found him a seat and I avoided having to trade my suite for E-. . .

Lihu'e 1k
Old Sep 4, 2005, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I had a boss once who couldn't figure out why none of us had status on whatever airline we had to share with him. He always sat up front, we were in the back. It was worth it not to be with him. We could save our upgrades for trips when we wouldn't have to share first with a jerk.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 10:17 pm

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
I am not "the" boss, but rather "a" boss. My boss flies the corporate jet usually, but for the rest of us grounded in the reality of TSA, lines, and BoB I have been generous in that I have come up with the following policy.

1. When a video conference or placeware meeting will do avoid the expense.

2. If under 500 miles than its Y for the trip.

3. Whenever possible use Midwest Express's signature service (all domestic F) type seats.

4. Anything over 1000 miles A Fares or QUP or fares are acceptable.

5. Trans-Atlantic / Pacific discounted business on carrier of your choice.

Since instituting this possibly we've actually saved money, and everyone seats in the front when it counts. We've reduced our trips by 100 percent, and still accomplish our goals. That being said one of my employees just got married, and I gave them 200k from my Membership Rewards accounts for their honeymoon. I wouldn't have a problem with a coworker seat in F while I sat in Y. But I think its best if everyone seats up front on long hauls. I usually shave off one day in hotel expense and gain a day in productivity.

Crazy?
Old Sep 5, 2005, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by philfna
We've reduced our trips by 100 percent, and still accomplish our goals.
So you stopped flying??
Old Sep 5, 2005, 8:55 am

Programs: Catered by me instead of FBO (semi retired)
No, last year we had 980 trips. We've had 1100 conference calls instead, and only about 140 trips although we've more than doubled our revenue. I guess the 100 percent is misleading.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 1:27 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I am not "the" boss, but rather "a" boss. My boss flies the corporate jet usually, but for the rest of us grounded in the reality of TSA, lines, and BoB I have been generous in that I have come up with the following policy.

3. Whenever possible use Midwest Express's signature service (all domestic F) type seats.

Since instituting this possibly we've actually saved money, and everyone seats in the front when it counts. We've reduced our trips by 100 percent, and still accomplish our goals. That being said one of my employees just got married, and I gave them 200k from my Membership Rewards accounts for their honeymoon. I wouldn't have a problem with a coworker seat in F while I sat in Y. But I think its best if everyone seats up front on long hauls. I usually shave off one day in hotel expense and gain a day in productivity.

Crazy?
Not crazy at all.
Seems like a great travel policy to me - I'd work for you anyday! ^
Old Sep 7, 2005, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
My personal policy is to get the cheapest possible ticket whilest sitting up front, whether for work or pleasure.
Usually this involves me having a cheaper ticket (thanks to my bag of tricks and status) and sitting up front, while other colleagues sit in back on more expensive tickets.

I save $ on hotels often by staying with friends/family.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:45 am

Programs: Starwood and NWA Plat
Hertz Upgrades

Last week I was in Houston with the rest of my team, including my boss. He got in about 4 hours before me so we each rented a car. He left me a voicemail saying got stuck in a small piece of crap and he was ticked off about it.... Well, when I showed up and walked to my Presidents club parking spot was a brand new Jag with 124 miles on it.... I called him on my hotel and told him come out and see the piece of crap they gave me.... He gave me a lecture about getting upgraded when your boss doesn't!!!

We are pretty good friends though, so it was all in jest!

But, I did enjoy rubbing it in his face a little!
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:54 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
Another reversed situation this past February. YYZ to CDG with AC SE boss. Going east overnight he used his last SSWU for me to sit up front and get some sleep.

On the way back he was up front and I in back, but AC Y is comfortable enough for a day flight. I was exhausted enough to sleep most of the way in any event.

His extensive travel keeps me employed.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 2:24 am

Programs: UAL1K 2MM UGS, Hilton Gold

Since instituting this possibly we've actually saved money, and everyone seats in the front when it counts. We've reduced our trips by 100 percent, and still accomplish our goals. . . .

Crazy?
If only all were as rational and fair minded.

It's good to know there are such rational exceptions out there! I have no doubt your policy is reflected in the productivity and loyalty of your staff. Kudo's.

LIhu'e 1k
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
I go out of my way to schedule travel so I am not on the plane with colleagues (either employees or my boss). With the amount I travel, it is an added hassle that I do not need.

The few times I have been in this situation, I have offered my seat to the boss and was direct about it. They are usually taken off guard and say no. I don't insist after that. I hope they enjoy coach...
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Gabatta
I go out of my way to schedule travel so I am not on the plane with colleagues (either employees or my boss).
Ditto here. I don't like to fly with colleagues/supervisors. Except when I have the opportunity to work with mr. ok. I like to fly with him; not only is he a great seatmate but he even totes my luggage for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.