Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

You and your Boss, Upgrades and not. . .

You and your Boss, Upgrades and not. . .

Old Jul 30, 2005, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
I'm a "loner" when it comes to travel; I rarely travel with others from my company. I can think of four segments where I did -- we were both in coach on one, both upgraded to first class on two others. On the fourth segment, I upgraded while my colleague sat in coach, but it was no big deal, since we were peers.

But this thread reminds me of something that came up on one of my very first business trips. I was AA Gold at the time, but I was headed to Fargo, where AA doesn't fly, so I ended up on NW, and signed up for their FF program at the airport on my outbound trip. When I checked in at the kiosk for my return trip, the kiosk spit out BPs with very low row numbers that said FIRST on them. I was very certain that I had booked coach seats, so I was very confused. While I was sitting at the gate, staring at my BPs and trying to figure out what was going on, I was shocked to see a couple of execs from the customer I was working with. They were from a different office, and they were also heading home on my flight, so they came up to say hello. Now I was totally confused as to what I should do. It turned out that my seat was indeed in first class, so that's where I was sitting when the execs walked past. I told them that I had no idea how I had ended up in first (which was the truth), but they just laughed and said I had done great work for them, so I deserved it.

At the time, I was new to the whole frequent flyer game, I didn't know that I'd get a first class seat until I showed up at the airport, and I didn't know that my customer would be on the flight until a few minutes before boarding -- so I was very poorly equipped to handle the situation. Today, if I knew I'd be flying with a customer (or my boss, for that matter), I would call the airline ahead of time to cancel my upgrade request. It's not worth any potential ramifications, just to sit in crappy domestic first (I'm a 100% domestic traveler) for an hour or two.
Old Jul 31, 2005, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, DL - Silver, Hertz gold, Starwood-Plat, Hilton-Silver, Hyatt-Plat
I've been fortunate to have bosses who don't get upset over upgrades. With few exceptions I prefer not to travel with my colleagues and my friends/family know that if available I will take the upgrade (I usually give them drink tickets/headphones)

Several years ago I was traveling with my boss to AZ and was running late to the airport. I called my boss enroute and he said that we could just fly out the next morning if neccessary. I told him that I was 10 min away and we should still take the flight. I got to the gate just as they called final boarding. He was in the last row and I had gotten upgraded to first. "He just looked at me and laughed and said it figures" I sent him my ice cream sundae and went in the chatted in the back with him for a while.

Its a joke with my team that I always get upgraded in airplanes/hotels/car rentals. I have had bosses that if I traveled with I would decline an upgrade simply because of their "issues" I worked for one woman who I tried never to stand next to since she said I was intimidating since I was so much taller than her
Old Jul 31, 2005, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by g_leyser
Ok, I edited my post.
Thank you.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
At my last company, both of my immediate bosses were both UGS Titanium. They're the ones that if the flight is cancelled, United arranges a private plane. I do enjoy when I'm flying with a colleague (or even better a client) and can upgrade them. I had a client a few months ago who happened to be on the same flight as me. I offered to the GA to exchange my upgrade for him, but there was room, so he got the upgrade as well.
Old Aug 5, 2005, 10:53 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
On one of the first trips for my new job I ended up spending time with one of the company execs. He asked me what status I had on the carrier we normally fly and I told him that while I had Plat on TWA a few jobs ago currently I had nothing on this carrier. He said to remind him when we got home to call the carrier and get them to give me elite status. While the phone call didn't help the corporate travel coordinator was able to work some magic and make it happen. Having the status is important even in economy as the seats can have very different amounts of legroom. Recently I was travelling with a colleague and while we both had Y tix they had a seat that had much more legroom. There was a seat free next to mine and one next to theirs. They don't need the legroom and the airline wouldn't move me since I didn't yet have the status so the colleague moved back to sit next to me.

Personally I'm one of those people that save miles for family travel. Anytime that someone gets upgraded I'm more than happy for them and can't imagine bearing a grudge. If I were using points to upgrade myself I'd ask if the person wants to be upgraded as well with my points. Travelling is uncomfortable enough for everyone that if it can be a but less so then it is well worth it.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM
bump....anyone else have anything???
Old Aug 10, 2005, 7:58 am

Programs: AA Platinum
I recently started at a small company, my boss doesn't care. We are going to SFO in sept and i offered to upgrade him on my flights, but he'd rather fly non stop then change planes like i am doing.

Chris
Old Aug 10, 2005, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 9.9MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
This past May, my project lead and I were flying to London, both in business on the same flight, and I upgraded my segment with a VIP and did his as well, to avoid any bad blood. However, we were returning on different flights, and for the week before his flight, he kept bugging me to upgrade his return flight, at least three times a day. Finally I gave in to get him off my back, even though whining and sniveling is a personality trait I find annoying. So now I've learned to avoid that mistake again, flying and upgrading with anyone in a superior position. I will even fly out of the way to ORD to LHR to avoid this situation again. Waste of two VIPs, but live and learn.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Rasalon
This past May, my project lead and I were flying to London, both in business on the same flight, and I upgraded my segment with a VIP and did his as well, to avoid any bad blood. However, we were returning on different flights, and for the week before his flight, he kept bugging me to upgrade his return flight, at least three times a day. Finally I gave in to get him off my back, even though whining and sniveling is a personality trait I find annoying. So now I've learned to avoid that mistake again, flying and upgrading with anyone in a superior position. I will even fly out of the way to ORD to LHR to avoid this situation again. Waste of two VIPs, but live and learn.
If I were the boss, I would be happy for my subordinate and would never take an upgrade if offered. If the subordinate, I would probably offer, but would try to avoid the situation entirely.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 2:37 pm

I was once on a flight from LHR-SFO with my boss on the same flight. Going to the airport, I knew I had a biz upgraded seat and he didnt. I excused myself saying I have some shopping to do and for the rest of the day played cat and mouse. I went to the SQ lounge even though we were on UA since I knew he would be at the RCC. I boarded last to aviod seeing him at the gate. Since the first two rows on biz are to the left of the entrance to the flight, I never saw him for the rest of the flight and I deplanned first upon landing in SFO.
It was funny to hear him repeatedly ask me my row number the next day since he supposedly went round and round coach class looking for me
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Titanium
Though neither of my 2 bosses would expect it or begrudge me sitting in first, I'd offer either of them my upgrade if I got it and they didn't. I'm very much a junior guy, but I read FT and know the system better than anyone else at the company (I think.) I also just respect them a lot and would be pleased to give them the upgrade.

I know everyone doesn't bosses as cool as mine, so I consider myself very lucky. I do think it's based on personal relationship, because at my last company I don't think I would have offered my boss my upgrade. I respected him businesswise, because he was (and is) wicked-smart, but personally I didn't have as much affinity for him.

Last edited by thegingerman; Aug 16, 2005 at 8:56 am
Old Aug 16, 2005, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
I had one occasion where the upgrade requests went the other way.

Back when I worked for one of those big, ginourmous, international companies, I was traveling with two colleagues. We had no clue about status or perks. At the airport, we ran into a fast rising senior manager (who soon went on to become a fast rising senior partner). A bit of idle chit chat, and he invited us into the DL Club. We were awed and amazed that such nice places existed, and also that he would invite us in.

On boarding, he took our boarding passes and went to the gate agent and asked if we could somehow get upgraded to F with him. No room at the inn, but just the thought that he tried was a very cool thing to do.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 1:33 pm

Not exactly my boss, but I have been elite since before I was like 5 years old and so by the time I got to high school I was even more elite and was reading FT. So during my four years of HS I went on several trips with various clubs that involved air travel. Of course I wanted upgrades, so it was a little funny that every time we flew somewhere myself and a compainion would watch the rest of the students, teachers and parents walk back to coach ^ They were cool with it though, it they had a problem I would had just sat in Y.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Gold (current Platinum), Hilton Diamond
I was just in my boss's office and we were talking about some upcoming travel I have (vacation) and he reached into his briefcase and pulled out 3 RCC passes and a few drink chits! Not exactly an upgrade, but this is the sort of thing that would make me awfully happy to give him any of my upgrades. Not that he needs them, since I'm only a 1P to his UGS.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 9:36 pm

Me and my boss in first

Had a great experience years ago. My boss was in charge of sales in the US and I was the world outside of the US. So, of course, I had more miles and higher status - though we rarely flew together. One evening I ran in to him at the World Club in SEA both on our way to MSP except he was on an earlier flight than me. I went up to the agent got switched to the earlier flight and was able to bump my boss up as a companion. Great experience to walk back to him in the club with two F boarding passes - we had a great flight and I got many brownie points. All this said I've also sat in F with the same boss in coach - he never made an issue of it - he believed that I flew all the miles I should get all the perks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.