Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

You and your Boss, Upgrades and not. . .

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

You and your Boss, Upgrades and not. . .

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:44 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Surprised no one has mentioned the similar situations at hotels...

...as alot of us FF's get upgraded there as well. In both cases flights and hotels, I'm at the front of the plane and in a suite cuz I spend all my time on the road. I have flown up front, while the boss sat in back, and I have had a suite while the boss was in the cookie cutter room, without a single feeling of remorse whatsoever. I've earned it.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
FC upgrades, suite upgrades and premium car upgrades, very deserving for us road warriors. If a Dilbert boss cannot figure that out then he/she does not deserve our loyalty.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by HomerJ
...as alot of us FF's get upgraded there as well. In both cases flights and hotels, I'm at the front of the plane and in a suite cuz I spend all my time on the road. I have flown up front, while the boss sat in back, and I have had a suite while the boss was in the cookie cutter room, without a single feeling of remorse whatsoever. I've earned it.
Considering that I've never invited a superior to see my hotel room (since all my superiors were male), they never really had reason to know about what type of room assignment I got.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 7:41 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Trade shows..the guy with the biggest room is the host..

Originally Posted by techgirl
Considering that I've never invited a superior to see my hotel room (since all my superiors were male), they never really had reason to know about what type of room assignment I got.
...and thats usually me thus everyone, including the boss gets to revel in the opulance that I inhabit. They also raid my mini bar which gives me more hotel points when I check out. Its wonderful how life works
Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
You have a F seat, board last.... No big deal, they will find a spot for your carry-on. Tell the Boss you were way in the back, after you figure out where he was.... or upgrade him with stickers if you like him and think it will clear.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:25 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Similar issue,

we are allowed to fly c or F (on intercont.)... Sometimes some of the team (boss or others) take a Y ticket to save money....

If it happens, that I realize that one of them is in Y and I c... I wait till everyone has boarded... avoids stress... I am last on first out ... no problems..
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by iCorpRoadie
That being said, when you travel with your upper mangment, and you get upgraded and they don't purchase a First ticket, do you feel bad?
When I used to work for a company years ago, that happened to me. I was upgraded; my boss was not.

We both laughed about it for quite a while afterwards, to the point where it became an inside joke. He was a cool boss. I truly enjoyed working for him.

In fact, I asked him if the situation were reversed, would he have handled it differently, and he immediately replied “No way — I would have done what you did!” We laughed!

It is a shame that the company for which we both worked was so mismanaged by executive management that my boss and I (as well as a few other employees who remained at the company that survived the many massive employee layoffs) basically shut the lights on the last day, as we bacame the last “casualties”...
Old Jul 15, 2005, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold, US, Delta, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hyatt
Generally, when I fly with my superiors (which is not very often), they usually have at least the same or higher FF status as I do, and they get upgraded before me. However, many years ago, I was an associate at a law firm, and I was traveling with a partner and the client on a CO flight. On the return flight, at the gate, I asked the GA whether they could upgrade the 3 of us to first. The GA glanced at her computer and told me, "Sorry, first is full." I went back to tell the partner and client that there was no room in first. A few minutes later, they paged me up to the desk and told me that they were upgrading me, and gave me a new seat assignment in first.

The partner and client asked me why they had called me up, and I told them that I had been upgraded. The partner was incredulous, but the client seemed amused, if slightly perplexed. At the time, I was mid-tier on CO, but I think both the partner and the client had top-tier FF status. The partner went up to the desk to ask to be upgraded, but the GA told him that first was full. As the partner returned to where we were sitting to report that he was unable to secure an upgrade, they announced that first class passengers could board. The partner glared at me, silently communicating that I had better not sit in the front cabin without them.

I hesitated for a few seconds, contemplating whether I should offer to switch seats with the partner or with the client. Partly because I wasn't sure whom to offer the first class seat to, I decided to keep the upgrade for myself, said "See you on the flight" and boarded the flight. I think that the partner was upset as he glared at me again as he passed me in first on the way to his seat. The client didn't appear upset, but did joke with me afterwards that I had a lot to learn about client relations.

On another trip, I was traveling with a paralegal to handle a document production. The paralegal had not done a lot of traveling; and I advised him to join FF programs and hotel frequent stay programs. He seemed skeptical, but I explained the benefits and how one could earn free flights and free stays, and get free upgrades if one achieved elite status.

After working at the client site all day, we checked in at our hotel around midnight. We were both tired; so I suggested that we get some sleep and meet for breakfast at 6 am to compare notes before going back to the client site. Then we went to our respective rooms. As I was unpacking, there was a knock at my door.

When I opened the door, the paralegal, looking bemused, announced, "I think they made a mistake." I asked, "what's the problem?" And he asked me to come look at his room. I followed him to his room; I walked in to one largest suites I've ever seen. Not one of those "junior suites" but a huge 3 bedroom suite with living room and kitchen, with a fully stocked bar and a jacuzzi. It was quite impressive.

My jaw dropped, and I exclaimed, "why would they give this room to you when you're not even a member of the hotel's loyalty program?' He shrugged his shoulders and asked, "Do you think I should go down and tell them they must have made a mistake?" I shook my head. He then half asked, half stated, "Maybe they mixed up our rooms and meant to give you the suite?" I wasn't sure whether he was offering to switch rooms, but I immediately responded, "You should keep the room and enjoy it." Unfortunately, he didn't really get a chance to enjoy the suite because we checked out the next morning early -- around 8 am. But at least he can always tell the story of how he got to stay in a suite.
Old Jul 16, 2005, 9:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thankfully all my superiors are frequent flyers as well. They understand how upgrades work. I work for three partners in a large consulting firm (one partner is SFO, IAH and the other in ORD). I am actually one of the lowest on the food chain which then translates to cheap bill rates. I don't mind travelling so I am shipped coast to coast a lot. The partners all know I am fanatical about FF stuff so they understand I play the game and would never be ticked that I got a better room or seat than they did. I also pass along whatever info on their program I can.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
Execs take the Jet...

I guess I'm in a pretty good place. I almost never travel with my boss and when we all need to go somewhere, we usually take the corporate jet (no miles )

Since I usually fly HP, where upgrades are automatic, I'm not sure how I'd handle this.

In a former life, my boss and I needed to do LAX-JFK. He had our assistant book his ticket and I booked my own. I worked the system a bit and found an F ticket for the same price as his Y ticket. I told him what I'd done when we got to the airport and were talking about the price of the tickets (both really high, to be fair). His response was "at a boy! I knew you were smart.", so no hard feelings.

Mallthus
Old Jul 20, 2005, 1:17 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by mallthus
I almost never travel with my boss and when we all need to go somewhere, we usually take the corporate jet (no miles )
You'll have to excuse me if I don't feel too sorry for you
Old Jul 20, 2005, 1:26 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
If you guys like this thread, you'll also enjoy In Your Face...I'm in Biz/First.
An oldie but a goody!

Last edited by aisleorwindow; Jul 24, 2005 at 10:57 pm
Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA
I had an international flight from IAD -> ZRH where I burned a SWU to get into first class. With some messup on my boss agenda he ended up on the same flight in an economy middle seat (at least E+).

He took it very well since it was our secretaries and his own screw up. He came to visit me to get a new laptop battery after he run out of juice.

I am still employed with the same company :-)
Old Jul 24, 2005, 1:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat, Swiss Gold, Marriott Gold
In my group we all fly a lot so know the game - a few times, others have been upgraded and I haven't and the one time I got upgraded (LHR to NRT) and my boss didn't, he couldn't handle it and ended up buying an upgrade,,,

I'd never give up my upgrade as I think I've put the miles in and spent plenty enough time away from home. If one of my staff offered their upgrade to me, I'd wonder what was wrong with them!
Old Jul 24, 2005, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I've flown on the same trip as my boss, he's a big spender 1K on UA (but not UGS), I asked him if he wanted to fly CO with me, and he said he'd rather take UA. ok, whatever. He was flying on a rather expensive unrestricted ticket.
he did SFO-BOS, I did OAK-IAH-BOS with a tour in IAH.
I called him when I got to BOS, he was hungry and pissed off because they stuck him in E-, and I was in first the whole way on an S (super cheap) fare.

he was amused, and I told him he should be pissed off at his travel agent, he was and he made them rebook him on a flight that they could confirm first on the way back.

my colleagues know I'm a nut about this stuff and most of them come to me now when booking travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.