FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   What to do in LAX with overnight stay? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/4347-what-do-lax-overnight-stay.html)

SoFlaGuy May 31, 2001 7:30 pm

What to do in LAX with overnight stay?

Taking a short trip to LA LA land on a milage run, and planning to stay near LAX so I don't have to rent a car.

Any ideas on what to do from 6:00 pm until 10:00 am that is closeby the airport and worth seeing? BTW - never been to California.

Thinking of staying at the Sheraton LAX (since I'm Starwood Gold) unless a better (and cheaper) suggestion comes along. Thanks!

unagi1 May 31, 2001 7:37 pm

Perhaps something like a taxi to places such as Manhattan Beach, Venice Beach, Marina Del Rey, or even Santa Monica (Pier and/or 3rd St Promendade) are within striking distance and wont cost a fortune I dont think. Drinks and dinner and you're back in your room for a nice nights sleep.

Melb Flyer May 31, 2001 9:16 pm

sometimes The Four Points Hotel is a bit cheaper that the Sheraton and is a Starwood Hotel. The bus terminal down the sreet from that hotel will get you to Santa Monica(Big Blue Bus)for 50cents the 220 Line will take you to West Hollywood, and from there you can walk to sunset, Rodeo drive, Beverley shopping centre. Hope this helps. I have some timetable info if you want to email me

TravelManKen May 31, 2001 10:03 pm

Starwood Hotels: Sheraton is closest, then Westin and after that 4-Points (looks like a dump). Check the prices at Westin. I stayed there for a quick overnight thing and it was only $99 - nice hotel.

Sights in one night near the airport - Hollywood for the party & clubs, Beach areas for nice dinner & nice sights

------------------
Ken in Sacramento

kokonutz Jun 1, 2001 6:33 am

Right across the street from the Hampton Inn LAX is this little club.......

0524 Jun 1, 2001 7:03 am

I agree with unagi1. Take a taxi to Marina del Rey for lots of restaurants and clubs. Let me know if Killer Shrimp is still there.

ontheroad Jun 1, 2001 7:23 am

If you do a search in the 'General TravelTalk' forum, you'll find this was discussed a couple times in the past year.

BTW, check out the Hampton LAX and Hilton LAX for low rates, esp if the layover is on a weekend. The Hampton is sometimes as low as $35.

------------------
He who dies with the most miles ... is dead.

greggwiggins Jun 1, 2001 7:41 am

And, if you like good beer, the LAX Four Points has a bar named "T.H. Brewster's" which has rapidly become a very respected venue in the craft-beer community nationwide for their selection of hard-to-find imports and regional microbrews and their regular "meet the pro" programs for which they bring in brewers or other beer experts to speak about beer and pour a few glasses of special treats brought in for the occasion. I visited it for the first time about a month ago during a layover at LAX and was very favorably impressed.

You can find more about the place by going to www.celebrator.com (a magazine covering west coast beers) and doing a search for the bar's name or for "Four Points LAX".

Gregg Wiggins
Columnist,
Mid-Atlantic Brewing News
(yes, that does mean I get paid to drink beer)

Originally posted by Melb Flyer:
sometimes The Four Points Hotel is a bit cheaper that the Sheraton and is a Starwood Hotel. The bus terminal down the sreet from that hotel will get you to Santa Monica(Big Blue Bus)for 50cents the 220 Line will take you to West Hollywood, and from there you can walk to sunset, Rodeo drive, Beverley shopping centre. Hope this helps. I have some timetable info if you want to email me

TrojanHorse Jun 1, 2001 8:30 am

If you don't have to stay at a Starwood, the Residence Inn Manhattan Beach, has a shuttle that drives you around town for free, pays for your shuttle to LAX (not sure about getting there)

SST Jun 1, 2001 9:14 am

Hmmmmmm. A taxi to Marina Del Ray would run you probably $25 each way, for $50. If you know a destination, fine, but it could be a long walk from one end to the other if you don't and are just cruising. I prefer the Santa Monica idea. If you can't stand the bus idea, Thrifty at LAX usually rents compacts (neons) for about $26, and you'd have freedom. Check the parking charge, if any, and go for a hotel without one to keep this cost low. And fill up the tank for about $2 before you return the car to avoid a ripoff.

If you've got lotsa time, Manhattan Beach, Venice, Marina Del Ray, Downtown Santa Monica (3rd Street Promenade, the Park over the Beach, and the Pier), and the Ocean Park section of SM are all interesting and close.

lovetotravel Jun 1, 2001 7:04 pm

You could take a cab to or rent a car and go to the Griffith Observatory for a killer view of LA at sunset and see the city light up from a hight point. Of course no clubs or a bar scene there. And its free.

Roger Jun 1, 2001 11:49 pm

If you're not fussy about exactly where you stay, you could book a hotel with priceline.com.

I'll be at the LAX Sheraton shortly @ $40 (plus $5 promotion) - accepted first time so I may have overpaid.

Stayed last fall at the LAX Marriott and LAX Renaissance - again accepted first time, so perhaps I overpaid.

Points on extras but probably not on room rate.

The LAX option on the priceline page is more likely to offer low rates than others. We're paying as much as $60 + $5 promotion for the Four Points Santa Monica.

0524 Jun 2, 2001 8:18 am

What's better than a few innings under the stars at Dodger Stadium?

TravelManKen Jun 2, 2001 11:55 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by kokonutz:
Right across the street from the Hampton Inn LAX is this little club.......</font>
I would suggest stopping at the bank first - you know, to get that pack of new $1's.

Also if you're a baseball fan, that Dodgers Game idea is awesome (if they're in town). If you love baseball, you have to visit Dodger Stadium.

Los Angeles Dodgers Schedule

------------------
Ken in Sacramento

SoFlaGuy Jun 4, 2001 2:09 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. Since this is not a business stay, and my goal is to spend as little as possible. (While maximizing the Starwood Gold benefits.) I used Priceline and got a room at the Weston LAX for $41. Not too bad, considering the cheapest rate on Expedia is $89! I will probably have enough money for a rental car and a stop at the "little bar that takes singles." Thanks again for the suggestions!