Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Buy one Business Class Ticket get one Free with Credit Card

Old May 18, 2005, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum

I heard that there are some credit cards (Amex Plat. type cards) that give you the ability to purchase one international business class ticket and get one free. You have to purchase it with the card and have to purchase it through a special phone number. Anyone know anyting about this?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old May 18, 2005, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM; SPG PLAT/Ambassador
Amex plat and cent cards offer this benefit
Old May 18, 2005, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

open return

Originally Posted by zedthedeadpoet
Anyone have any experience with this?
Can you get an open return ticket this way?
Old May 18, 2005, 7:02 pm

Programs: Ex-CO Silver
Amex Platinum generally allows a "free" companion ticket only when you purchase a FULL FARE business class ticket, not with discounted business class fares. This makes the offer just another worthless advertising gimmick as far as I'm concerned.
Old May 18, 2005, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zedthedeadpoet

Generally, Guess if you have to, but what are the requirements to be able to be approved for a amex plat?

income level, credit score etc...

or they don't care, just want the $400 bucks.
Old May 18, 2005, 7:12 pm

Programs: Ex-CO Silver
From the American Express website:
"The minimum yearly income required to qualify for the "Card" is $100,000. If you are an existing American Express Cardmember there is no minimum income requirement to qualify for the "Card"."
Old May 18, 2005, 8:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: US Airways (*A) Gold, United, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Preferred, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Gold
Here is the link

http://corp.americanexpress.com/gcs/...s/details/iap/
Old May 18, 2005, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Is it worth it?

Originally Posted by whiteknuckles
Amex Platinum generally allows a "free" companion ticket only when you purchase a FULL FARE business class ticket, not with discounted business class fares. This makes the offer just another worthless advertising gimmick as far as I'm concerned.
To illustrate, I called to check and see what the price would be with the card for a round trip Business class ticket to Asia. It was 5000 for the first one and then you pay 150 in taxes for the second one. You can get a discounted Business class ticket for 3000, so is it worth it in this example?? well depends how close to 3000 that discounted ticket is.

I DO see where this would be useful. Someone has said they will pay for you (and only you) to fly business class to some place. This is one way for you to allow that entity to pay the 5000 and then you bring someone else with you for 150. In that case its useful. I was hoping the fare from AMEX would be closer to the 3000, I would have done that. Oh well.

Thanks for all the feedback and links.

Interesting that you have to have 100K income, or another amex card. What does haveing another amex card have in common with someone who make 100K?? no clue.
Old May 19, 2005, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Braswch

Interesting that you have to have 100K income, or another amex card. What does haveing another amex card have in common with someone who make 100K?? no clue.
While one doesn't have to do with the other, I assume amex views you as less of a risk if they have had you as a customer for awhile.
Old May 19, 2005, 8:40 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Originally Posted by Braswch
I DO see where this would be useful. Someone has said they will pay for you (and only you) to fly business class to some place.
I wish it were this simple. In order to get the 2-for-1 deal, you need to book using your Amex card via the Platinum Travel Service. When I travel on full fare business class tickets, they're always booked via my corporate travel service -- so no 2-for-1 for me.
Old May 19, 2005, 9:01 am

I wonder if this 2 4 1 applies only for travel from the US and maybe some other "civilized" countries or also applies to travel from CMB, CAI, NAN and other remote places where one can buy the cheapest premium travel in the world?
Old May 19, 2005, 9:20 am

Note that it's restricted to certain carriers, and may be restricted to certain routes (not sure about that).

Last edited by themicah; May 19, 2005 at 9:23 am
Old May 19, 2005, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
As an AMEX Plat. cardholder, I take advantage of the 2 for 1 BC ticket several times a year. I usually check prices of buying two BC tickets before I buy the AMEX 2 for 1 just to make sure it is a better deal. Basics to keep in mind:

1. Booking has to be through AMEX travel and charged to your Plat. AMEX as mentioned before.
2. As far as I know, the 2 for 1 is only available to US cardholders and the originating flight has to be from a US city. Both travellers have to fly the exact same flights!
3. Booking is a full fare BC rate.
4. Companion will not receive frequent flier points.
5. Only certain airlines participate in the program. Here's a link:

https://www124.americanexpress.com/c...airprogram.jsp

FYI, there is also a similar offer if you apply for a Merrill Lynch Merrill+ Visa Card. The difference here is:

1. Only good for British Airways
2. Must book a full fare ticket in either World Traveler Plus, Premier Economy, Club World or First and companion flies free in the same class.
3. Only one use of this is allowed per year unless you are a Merrill +2 (must charge at least $20k on the card yearly) or a Merrill +3 (min. $50k per year) member.

I have both options since I have both cards but I use the AMEX alternative all the time. Just got done with the following routing on the 2 for 1:

IAD-MUC with LH
MUC-IST with LH
BUD-MUC with LH
MUC-IAD with LH

Last edited by christianj; May 19, 2005 at 9:46 am
Old May 19, 2005, 10:01 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
Originally Posted by christianj
2. As far as I know, the 2 for 1 is only available to US cardholders and the originating flight has to be from a US city. Both travellers have to fly the exact same flights!
It's a benefit for UK cardholders as well.
Old May 19, 2005, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All the full fare transatlantic business class tickets I have ever looked into out of IAD are over $6k. The second ticket did not get ff mileage. Usually, something cheaper in a pair of D/Z tickets showed up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.