Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

what's the least amount you'll charge for miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

I'm just curious. I used to not charge anything under $10 but I'm re-thinking that. What's the least amount that you will charge for miles?
Old Feb 18, 2005, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by northwoods
I'm just curious. I used to not charge anything under $10 but I'm re-thinking that. What's the least amount that you will charge for miles?
I charge everything I can. Why wouldn't you? All those $1.08 purchases will surely add up to a few thousand over your life.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 5:07 pm

I charge everything from coffee to air ticket as long as AMEX/Visa is accepted. I normally don't carry much cash, so I prefer to leave it in my wallet in case I really need to pay by cash.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 5:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Same here. I charge anything over a dollar.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 5:29 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
I charge everything. The least was probably $.35 for a newspaper.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:53 pm

Programs: Onepass, Skymiles, Worldperks, Hilton HHonors Silver, Mariot Rewards
If they will take it, I charge it. The usualy minimum is probably about $5 here in NYC.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
excepting places that charge CC fees(which many do @ Berkeley)
I use credit cards:
SPG amex whenever possible
or a visa/mc
on everything.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:44 pm

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
Originally Posted by yevlesh2
I charge everything. The least was probably $.35 for a newspaper.
isn't there a minimum charge of $.50? or was that a thing of the past?
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by bursa
isn't there a minimum charge of $.50? or was that a thing of the past?
I have gotten snooty comments from cashiers when I tried to charge small amounts like < $2. I usually don't charge anything under $5 but when on business trips I prefer to use a card so I remember to expense everything..
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:18 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
I think $3 at the SLC airport during the Winter Olympics, I couldn't help myself, they were offering triple miles with the Delta Amex Card
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:29 pm
Suspended

I just paid a $2.00 parking fee today when I went to pickup my parents at the airport. I basically use a CC for everything - I don't even consider paying cash. The $2.00 wasn't something I conciously thought about, I just pay with a credit card. It's very seldom that I spend less than $1.00 at a place that accepts cards. But, if I'm buying some $.49 piece of plastic at Home Depot, I'd pull out the card out of habit more than anything else.

Do the credit card companies get a flat fee for purchases, or is it always a percentage? If they get a flat fee, they could probably increase their fees by encouraging people to use cards for small purchases (of course, this may result in some backlash from the retailers). How about instituting a "minimum mileage" award for charging. You get 5 miles per charge for anything up to $5.00? I get 500 miles from any airline in the U.S to fly from CLT to CAE - even though its only about 100 miles. How about the credit card companies start doing the same thing?
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:20 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by GeorgeMont
I just paid a $2.00 parking fee today when I went to pickup my parents at the airport. ...
Do the credit card companies get a flat fee for purchases, or is it always a percentage? If they get a flat fee, they could probably increase their fees by encouraging people to use cards for small purchases (of course, this may result in some backlash from the retailers). ...
It's usually 1.9-2.9% of the charge, plus about 30 cents transaction fee. So your $2 parking fee netted the CC company approximately 70 cents and the parking garage $1.30.

HOWEVER, if your CC was declined for any reason, the parking garage would have to pay a $25-30 "charge back" fee to the credit card company, then resubmit your $2 charge again, for another 70 cents in fees. Bottom line here is that your $2 parking fee could cost the parking lot $26.40-31.40 to allow you to park.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by lili-dui
It's usually 1.9-2.9% of the charge, plus about 30 cents transaction fee. So your $2 parking fee netted the CC company approximately 70 cents and the parking garage $1.30.

HOWEVER, if your CC was declined for any reason, the parking garage would have to pay a $25-30 "charge back" fee to the credit card company, then resubmit your $2 charge again, for another 70 cents in fees. Bottom line here is that your $2 parking fee could cost the parking lot $26.40-31.40 to allow you to park.
Correct me if I'm wrong, don't these fees vary widely with the size of the company? IE Walmart isn't paying no 30 cent fee, and probably a hair over 1%, but may pay like $10,000,000 a year for that privelage?
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:17 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by lili-dui
I believe the charge back fee is only charged when there is a charge-back (e.g. you dispute the charge and prevail). A simple rejection should not cost anymore than a txn fee.
Old Feb 19, 2005, 5:49 am

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM, Marriott-PP/LT P, Avis-PC
I charge my Starbucks coffee every morning..... $1.89. Also, I received a Starbucks gift card for Christmas that upon the last use was $.02 short of $1.89, so I charged the difference on my Amex card..... the clerk did not blink an eye accepting a charge card for $.02.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.