Community
Wiki Posts
Search

japan-best way to accumulate miles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2005, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Smile japan-best way to accumulate miles

Hi! I'm a newbie--I need to fly to Japan 1-2 times a year. Any thoughts on best way to accumulate miles toward free trips to the Land of the Rising Sun?
I don't fly on business much---perhaps getting credit card for American Airlines, Delta, or JAL etc. I appreciate any thoughts.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 6:06 pm
Original Member

One suggestion would be to look at how many partners the airline has that fly to Japan. For example, United flies there from San Francisco, and so does its partner ANA. UAL miles can get you on either. (I just flew back from Japan on ANA using UAL miles.) I bet Thai Air, another UAL partner, could get you there, too.

Last edited by pgary; Feb 7, 2005 at 3:22 pm
Old Feb 4, 2005, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Thai air flyes from LAX-NRT, as does VARIG and I believe Singapore Air also flies that route. They're all UA Partners.

As said above, UA, ANA also fly that route.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 5:27 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
SkyTeam is another option. Delta, Continental, Northwest and Korean all fly between the continental US and Japan.

As you can see, quite a few airlines fly between the continental US and Japan. Look at which airline(s) service the airport(s) nearest you. After you've narrowed it down a bit, you're better able to look at the earning options.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:52 am

destination in Japan

Don't forget to consider your destination in Japan. Tokyo (Narita), of course, is the major gateway but there are also flights into Osaka (Kansai) and soon the new airport near Nagoya will open. If you need to go to Osaka/Western Japan and you are stuck always flying through Tokyo, you'll get tired of that! :-)
Old Feb 6, 2005, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where from?

The OP doesn't say where they are flying from. For example, it can be a major PITA reaching Japan from S. America or Africa, while there are loads of flights from Europe and N.America.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

japan-best way to accumulate miles

Thanks for your help-I'll be flying from NYC-I think I'll take Pgary's useful advice and start accumulating miles on United Airlines via the credit card. I'll be flying into the new Nagoya airport for better or worse-I hear it's about a 2 hour distance from Nagoya!
Old Feb 6, 2005, 6:02 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Flights to NRT

Don't forget that UA is offering doule miles on all flights now, so if you are traveling in the next few months and can buy your tickets shortly, you may want to start with UA. Then go to one of their partners later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.