Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airfare for West Coast to Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2000, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Airfare for West Coast to Sydney

Can any of you guys/gals help in offering options for cheap roundtrip west coast to sydney fares for summer 2001(may 23-aug 10)??

I am traveling with 3 other people, making using FF miles difficult. Although we do have enough miles to get to our west coast departure city.

Any ideas of innovative ways of getting there cheaper ????????

Thanks

scott
Old Dec 1, 2000, 9:32 am
SST

No innovative ways, but there's almost always been a $699-799 r/t fare offered from LA on QANTAS during the march-apr period, for use over the summer.
Old Dec 1, 2000, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles
Along with QF, Air New Zealand usually has great fares during this time frame too. In fact, their fares are usually a bit lower than QF and UA. NZ's planes are comfortable and the staff equal to QF and UA.

Old Dec 1, 2000, 1:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Qantas has also been pretty consistent in ruinning a package deal for $999-$1099 from LAX, where you can get 5 nights hotel in Sydney in addition to the airfare.

They have a package on their web site right now, good May through August, for $1499 that includes air to Australia, as well as connecting flights between Sydney, Melbourne, and Cairns, and hotels for 13 nights. This package is at the following link:
http://www.qantas.australia.com/

This has to be booked by Dec 8. They were advertising this right after the Olympics to draw people over. This is a pretty good deal if you have to reserve hotels.
Old Dec 1, 2000, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Just to make you cry check out:

www.travel.com.au

For fares from OZ to USA - "the other way"

I can get there now for about $US500-600 r/t on QF or UA. Most months except Xmas or Easter.

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 12-01-2000).]
Old Dec 4, 2000, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Glen. This email is wet from my tears.

Is it better to leave the west coast late in the day and arrive early or visa versa??

scott
Old Dec 5, 2000, 4:36 am

Originally posted by Maximus:
Is it better to leave the west coast late in the day and arrive early or visa versa??

scott
If I fly westbound in economy, I try to do so on a daytime flight if possible, since I almost never sleep well in coach and this makes me suffer from jet lag for several days after arrival. If it´s a daytime flight arriving in the evening, I can go to bed when I arrive and simply sleep off the extra-long day I´ve had. The price for an extra hotel night is worth it IMHO.
At least this is what I´ve done for transatlantic flights - I assume though that this is also true though for the super-long flights to OZ as well.
Yonatan
Old Dec 5, 2000, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; SPG LT Platinum
In terms of fare, United, Air New Zealand and Qantas will all have the same sale fares around the $700 mark starting probably in February. Watch out particularly for United - every so often they have fares to Oz for $800 from the East Coast and $500 from the West Coast.

In terms of travelling, I would always say travel through the night. From the US that means leaving on the evening flights, and from Australia leaving about noon Sydney time. Because the flights are twice as long as the trans-atlantic flights, the daytime travel becomes farely wearisome. In addition, I've found that a day of sunshine once you arrive followed by a good noghts sleep is the best recovery technique from jet-lag.
Old Dec 5, 2000, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, one more question as I have never flown an international code-sharing flight.

Do I have to book an American Airlines -Qantas code sharing flight to get AA miles??

Thanks

scott
Old Dec 5, 2000, 3:36 pm

Max:
My wife and I just returned from SYD. We booked on AA from LAX who arranged for us to fly Qantas. Our miles were posted on our AAdvantage account within 7 days of our completing each segment. One more thing, when you arrive in LAX from wherever, go directly to Qantas ticket counter, not AA ticket counter.
John
Old Dec 12, 2000, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

I've found some cheap airfare on Qantas through onetravel.com. Since I am not buying my tickets as an AA flight, will I still get AA miles??
Old Dec 12, 2000, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Maximus .. I think if you use a AA card on ANY One World carrier you get AA points for the trip. At least thats how it works for Star * Alliance, and I've this year flown Thai, Mexicana, Ansett, Varig, Air NZ etc, and all just credit the miles to UA as long as you log that card into your boking BEFORE your first flight. I'm sure One world works the same, Chasing up the miles later on is a nightmare sometimes.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Dec 12, 2000, 5:37 pm

Originally posted by Maximus:
I've found some cheap airfare on Qantas through onetravel.com. Since I am not buying my tickets as an AA flight, will I still get AA miles??
On AAdvantage, a discount economy (published) fare on Qantas would earn you 70% of mileage flown.
Old Dec 13, 2000, 4:30 am

Can someone please jog my memory which AA coach fares earn full miles? Was it just "Y"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.