Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Wall Street Journal Subscriptions

Wall Street Journal Subscriptions

Old Sep 7, 2017, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I just got a letter that some got in March. It seems that I started a subscription at the last possible date but that is now ending.

Too bad. The WSJ was a great reason to fly any airline based on schedule and price because if you had a few orphan miles, they were great to use to get the WSJ.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
yes, they have gotten much stingier overall. removing alternative payments and they even finally cancelled my free grandfathered mobile access plan for having developed their first website!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
.... and the era of typing/pasting in some WSJ text into a Google News search to get whole WSJ articles is also going to end up restricted as Google and news publishers get further into bed with each other.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
.... and the era of typing/pasting in some WSJ text into a Google News search to get whole WSJ articles is also going to end up restricted as Google and news publishers get further into bed with each other.
that ended a while ago.. if it works today it's because the article is one of the ones that WSJ chooses to put in the open.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nmenaker
that ended a while ago.. if it works today it's because the article is one of the ones that WSJ chooses to put in the open.
That is going to get further restricted.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:13 am

Does anyone have any updates on using miles / points for new Wall Street Journal subscriptions?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:55 am

I am still a print + digital subscriber, but they have increased my rates for the past couple years (it's now over $100). Running out of patience with this pricing, so I'll probably not renew unless they drop the rate again.

Occasionally I receive offers in the mail that allow me to buy a gift subscription (print + digital) for someone else. $199 for 1 year, and they also give you a $25 Amazon gift card. Thinking about buying a gift for a close friend / neighbor and using the new digital account.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by SpicyMeatball
I am still a print + digital subscriber, but they have increased my rates for the past couple years (it's now over $100). Running out of patience with this pricing, so I'll probably not renew unless they drop the rate again.

Occasionally I receive offers in the mail that allow me to buy a gift subscription (print + digital) for someone else. $199 for 1 year, and they also give you a $25 Amazon gift card. Thinking about buying a gift for a close friend / neighbor and using the new digital account.
yeah, getting if for less than 100$ days I think are over. they are too confident in their sub base and platform to lower the price.(even though the mobile apps have REALY been deprecated IMHO in the past couple years)

There are student rates, if you have a student in the house or that you know. ~125$, and senior rates ~145$, we ALL know a Senior.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
<snip>, and senior rates ~145$, we ALL know a Senior.
Where does one find senior rates? Googling did not lead me to any clear answer for that.

Regards
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:13 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
yeah, getting if for less than 100$ days I think are over. they are too confident in their sub base and platform to lower the price.(even though the mobile apps have REALY been deprecated IMHO in the past couple years)

There are student rates, if you have a student in the house or that you know. ~125$, and senior rates ~145$, we ALL know a Senior.
I'd also like to know the source or links to info on both the $125 student and $145 senior rates. I'm enrolled in credit courses at a regular .edu institution but don't seem to qualify for the student rate here. My senior mom would like to renew her current sub but they're asking $44.75 per quarter ($179/year).

Last edited by essxjay; Feb 14, 2019 at 1:31 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by essxjay
I'd also like to know the source or links to info on both the $125 student and $145 senior rates. I'm enrolled in credit courses at a regular .edu institution but don't seem to qualify for the student rate here. My senior mom would like to renew her current sub but they're asking $44.75 per quarter ($179/year). If I had any miles left I'd try the redeem/regift shuffle, alas....
try this path for the student rate, not uni rate.

https://store.wsj.com/v2/verificatio...J_ON_NA_ACQ_NA

it DOES seem like they have added an extra layer that wasn't there a year ago.
essxjay likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Seems like the upcoming Apple News subscription may include some WSJ digital access.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Thanks very much, nmenaker. Super helpful. ^

Originally Posted by getagb
Seems like the upcoming Apple News subscription may include some WSJ digital access.
Hmm, I'm under the impression the thread was for physical (newsprint) home delivery subs. I'm such a rookie.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond + Marriott Gold
According to the Mags for Miles web site, the ability to get a WSJ subscription using miles is back as of February 2019. 228 issues for 2700 miles or 304 issues for 3200 miles (American, Delta, United).

No mention of whether or not it includes digital access (way back when the deal did not include digital access, then it did for a while just before they stopped letting you buy a sub with miles).

The WSJ sub was/is a great value for miles (over 14 cents per mile for the current deal, even if you are only getting print).

Last edited by Jerry Vandesic; Feb 26, 2019 at 7:26 am
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jerry Vandesic
According to the Mags for Miles web site, the ability to get a WSJ subscription using miles is back as of February 2019. 228 issues for 2700 miles or 304 issues for 3200 miles (American, Delta, United).

No mention of whether or not it includes digital access (way back when the deal did not include digital access, then it did for a while just before they stopped letting you buy a sub with miles).

The WSJ sub was/is a great value for miles (over 14 cents per mile for the current deal, even if you are only getting print).
thanks for this, just grabbed mine!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.