Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

First time here? Unsure what belongs in this forum? Read me.

First time here? Unsure what belongs in this forum? Read me.

Old Apr 2, 2004, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: dont matter anymore...
Exclamation First time here? Unsure what belongs in this forum? Read me.

Welcome to MilesBuzz!

Thanks for coming by the MilesBuzz! forum. We don’t have too many rules here, but we would like to stress that the MilesBuzz forum is for the posting of information related to frequent flyer and hotel program promotions and the sharing and discussion of opportunties to earn bonus miles.

What’s that? Well, if you think there is a miles or points offer that the FlyerTalk community should know about, then this is the place to post it!

Credit card promotions and related questions belong in the Credit Card Programs forum.

If you have general question about mileage programs, trying to figure out which program works best for you or just getting started with frequent mileage programs, please post your question in Flyertalk's Information Desk forum.

If you have a question about a specific airline or program, you should post in that airline or programs own forum.

If you have a general travel related question that doesn’t have to do with miles or points, the TravelBuzz! forum may be better suited for your inquiry.

Thanks and regards,

MilezBuzz Moderators

Last edited by MileageAddict; Jan 10, 2014 at 6:37 am Reason: updated
Old Apr 3, 2004, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
thanks for the reminder. I am all over trying to keep the forums organized and talk only about the topic of whatever specific forum I happen to be in. And the new FT is now working well in my world and sped up rather nicely. It is great. Thanks for that too.

But the only thing I ever wonder about is what happens when something crosses topics. For example, that whole gift card thing (my current favorite topic) could also involve idine if you think about it. I mean, when I get a new GC, I sometimes assign it to idine so I can get miles if I happen to us the thing instead of immediately cash it out. So I get idine miles and thus, the GC thread has now to do with idine too. Or, it could involve talk about several airlines. an example of this is that I sometimes put my gift card money into the BofA visa debit checking account I have which is associated with alaska airlines. I then need to discuss how and why you get half the miles if you use their debit card, and all that other stuff about their card, the airline and how it happens to be partners with AA and NWA, etc. Next thing you know, half of a post on gift card miles could have a lot to do with partners and Alaska airlines! Things like this happen a lot in several other topics as well. So these are just some minor examples of how some things can certainly cross threads or cross categories. And so I am just hoping its ok to let that happen once and a while if it honestly must.

cheers!
MM
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Well, topics are bound to cross paths, and sometimes there's not a definitive place for something. We promise not to bite your head off
Old Apr 4, 2004, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Thanks for posting this, flipside

For anyone wanting another cut at the same idea, there was a pretty heated discussion back in October about what is appropriate in MilesBuzz.

The upshot of it was
There are several issues appropriate for MilesBuzz:

* Questions that cross several programs or alliances. Which airline should I accumulate miles on, given X flying patterns and Y desires for status/redemption? How can I maximize my miles across several carriers for my honeymoon? Which carrier is best for low yield travelers? What about for travelers flying all paid J or F?

* Questions and thoughts about trends in loyalty programs. Will all programs become revenue-based? Is redemption getting more difficult? Does anyone actually get upgraded to a suite as a result of their status in a hotel program?

* Big changes that rock the frequent flyer (our) world. This is really a subset of the last category -- but noting that BA had drastically altered their program was worth cross-referencing in MilesBuzz. Discussion of BA's changes really still belonged in the BA forum, but it was worth offering a link to let the broader community know that this was going on -- and discussion of "will other carriers follow?" seemed appropriate for MilesBuzz.

* Hot offers. This is probably the trickiest. If it's lucrative and a large chunk of FlyerTalk members can benefit from it, it seems appropriate for MilesBuzz. Even some deals that are less than lucrative (eg 250 Priority Club points for taking a survey) have stayed open. As Moderator2 has observed, there isn't a bright line.

However, specific questions about an airline get moved to that airline's forum... targeted offers that folks can't take advantage of generally get moved to that forum... offers that are only of interest to regulars flyers of a particular airline get moved... but deals that everyone can jump on, which seem broadly applicable, stay put.

And that lack of a bright line is why I try to be as friendly and helpful as possible in answering questions and moving threads, and why I'm always available via email to discuss board issues.

But if a topic would get a better answer in a program-specific forum, it ought to get moved. If a topic would be of more interest to folks reading a specific forum, it ought to get moved. If a topic has little or nothing to do with miles and points, it ought to get moved.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 6:34 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Hey Moderators!

Greetings! I want to post a thread on MilesBuzz, but it won't let me? Can you help me out?

Thanks!
UrbaneGent
Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:35 am

i've been reading posts for the past few months, and find myself always confused by the abbreviations used. how/where can i find what these abbreviations stand for?
thanks!!
Old Mar 22, 2005, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cvillegal
i've been reading posts for the past few months, and find myself always confused by the abbreviations used. how/where can i find what these abbreviations stand for?
thanks!!
It can get confusing sometimes, don't worry though. Try The Glossary.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:07 am

Where does this question belong, in milezbuzz or caribbean? I put it in caribbean so not to bug the frequent fliers!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have barely enough miles for a "free" ticket to Barbados in July but my husband doesn't. From CLT his fare would be $888. Should I wait for the prices to drop (airline says they will get worse, not better) or be happy with 2 tickets for $888?
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:47 pm

Appropriate posting?

Hi there,

I've just registered with you and was looking at your site in an attempt to guage member opinion re earning miles with non-air/hotel partners. We recently launched a program on our own website http://www.viator.com that offers AA and DL miles with the purchase of our 4,000+ sightseeing, tours, attractions and transfers. So even though I think it's probably of interest to your site members AND it's a travel product, I'm keenly aware that this could be viewed as a 'commercial posting', and I don't want get people angry. I look forward to hearing from you.
Luke.

Originally Posted by flipside
Welcome to MilesBuzz!

Thanks for coming by the MilesBuzz! forum. We don’t have too many rules here, but we would like to stress that the MilesBuzz forum is for the posting of information related to the latest frequent flyer program buzz.

What’s that? Well, if you think there is a miles or points offer that the entire FlyerTalk community should know about, then this is the place to post it!

Have a lot of miles and points in a bunch of programs and don’t know what to do with them all? Ask away!

Just getting started? Want to know what can work for you, don’t be shy ask here.

If you have a question about a specific airline or program, you should post in that airline or programs own forum.

Have a general travel related question that doesn’t have to do with miles or points? The TravelBuzz! forum is perfect for this.

Also, FlyerTalk now has an Idine Forum. Please post your Idine questions there.

Thanks and regards,

MilezBuzz Moderators
Old May 20, 2005, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
I posted a hotel question in this forum since it involved 2 hotels and I know not to crosspost a post in 2 forums.

Is this forum only for airlines? I'm still confused on that but I posted here since it mentioned "loyalty" programs. If this forum is only for airline points and loyalty programs, shouldn't there be 1 general forum for hotel points/loyalty programs?

I guess my post in this forum is okay since it hasn't been moved.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 8:07 pm

Need a 10k or 60k mileage run.

Hi, I just joined the site and don't know how to use it yet. I live in Fort Lauderdale and need either a 10k or 60k mileage run on American. Does anyone know of a run?

Welcome to MilesBuzz!

Thanks for coming by the MilesBuzz! forum. We don’t have too many rules here, but we would like to stress that the MilesBuzz forum is for the posting of information related to the latest frequent flyer program buzz.

What’s that? Well, if you think there is a miles or points offer that the entire FlyerTalk community should know about, then this is the place to post it!

Have a lot of miles and points in a bunch of programs and don’t know what to do with them all? Ask away!

Just getting started? Want to know what can work for you, don’t be shy ask here.

Have a general travel related question that doesn’t have to do with miles or points? The TravelBuzz! forum is perfect for this.

Thanks and regards,

MilezBuzz Moderators
Old Sep 26, 2005, 5:33 pm

Programs: American, BA, NWA, United, US Air
Unhappy

thanks!!
Thant goes for me , too. I am still lurking around trying to brush up on this lingo, but it keep at least a step ahead of me.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:08 pm
Original Member

thanks!!
I always assume that if a post includes abbreviations, the poster intends that only those who would understand those abbreviations are the intended readers. I assume that this limitation on the usefulness of the post is deliberate. Thus, when someone uses airport codes instead of the name of the airport, or airline codes instead of the name of the airline, I don't bother reading the post, assuming that it is intended for travel agents or some other in group, not me. I certainly don't have all of those codes memorized.

My comment may actually be useful for a few posters who really intend their posts to be broadly useful.
Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K mm, Hyatt Diamond
Re: Capitol One Go Miles Devaluation,
Does anyone have any ideas?
Are there any class action lawsuits against them yet?
Old Oct 6, 2005, 12:57 pm

Apples and Oranges

Dear Mr./Ms. Moderator,

I don't understand why my thread was killed. Although Virgin Atlantic does not have a 1st class, it seems to me that their business may be as good as, or even better than, 1st class on other airlines. To wit, they're UC seats recline 180 degrees into a flat bed. The amount of area around each seat is on par with any 1st class seat. They have a massage table and a masseuse, a bar area along with all the other amenities that go along with the usual 1st class seats.
If you can recommend another area to post this comparison, I would appreciate it. Yes, I am a Newbie....

Thanks
Steve Roman

Welcome to MilesBuzz!

Thanks and regards,

MilezBuzz Moderators

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.