Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Travel Website?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2000, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Best Travel Website?

Of all the travel websites such as Travelocity, Expedia, etc. who really has the lowest price? I noticed that the price can change by hundreds of dollars depedning on where I go...
Old Aug 22, 2000, 12:10 am
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
You have to check all of them. For example, Travelocity has what they call Travelocity Value Fares (for air travel) and Travelocity Value Rates (for hotels). You can only get those prices if you book through them.

For air travel, you should check the carriers' sites as well. United Airlines' Internet Special Fares (not to be confused with E-Fares) typically reflect a 5% discount off the lowest published airfare.
Old Aug 22, 2000, 12:34 pm

Actually, you DON'T have to check them all. A couple of friends of mine started this website called qixo.com It searches dozens of other websites (like Travelocity, Expedia, etc) and list them together so you can see who really has the lowest price.
Old Aug 22, 2000, 12:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Call me suspicious, but....

A newly registered person with a hotmail account signs up and posts a question. Suddenly, another newbie, also with a hotmail account signs up and has the perfect answer- a new brilliant company!!!

Hmmmmm....
Old Aug 22, 2000, 12:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I tried Qixo, and it took forever and gave me nothing.

I would try http://www.air-fare.com/

Look at the city you want to depart from. I find it most helpful.

But my vote for best travel website goes to FlyerTalk.

[This message has been edited by BoSoxFan45 (edited 08-22-2000).]
Old Aug 22, 2000, 1:31 pm

Programs: a little here, a little there
I also tried it - Got to the site fast enough, and entered my search, but did not get any results.

I will usually try Travelocity and Expedia, Southwest, and then go to the website of the airline that has the low fares to check for internet fares.
Old Aug 22, 2000, 1:37 pm

Why BoSoxFan you ARE a cynic!

Now three of us attest it doesn't work. And if it did, it still wouldn't be an especially good site, because it only accepts one-way and simple round-trip requests. No good for me, and, I'm sure, many others on these boards and elsewhere.

I'm better off with the tried-and-true.

Old Aug 22, 2000, 2:49 pm
Original Member

There was a site a couple years ago (intellitrip?) that searched other sites to find the best fare. They got sued out of existence as I recall.
Old Aug 22, 2000, 3:05 pm

has anyone tried nicefares.com Do not worry I am not savvy enough computer-wise to spam,but I found this site while surfing and while not a fare finder,it has alot of easy to understand advice for a newbie ,like me especially.The site says it was started by 2 brothers--last name of Jacobs---who may belong to this site.---best wishes ,Terri
Old Aug 22, 2000, 4:18 pm

I called my friend at qixo.com to see what's going on. It seems like they are back up and running again. Since they are new and don't expect a lot of traffic, they upload their pages during the day once in a while. (bad move, I told him) Sorry for the trouble.
Old Aug 22, 2000, 6:23 pm
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
Yes, there are sites that track what others are doing. But you run the risk of getting incomplete or stale information. Even the "big guys" can have this problem; how many times have you spotted a "bargain" on Travelocity's Dream Map, only to be disappointed by
The fare you have selected has changed since the last time it was published.
That said, here are a couple of winners:
http://www.travelzoo.com/ http://travel.yahoo.com/t/specials/
Old Aug 22, 2000, 9:05 pm
Original Member

I've foudn that the web site that has the absolute cheapest fares (when they are available) is
http://www.ringthem.com/travel

There have been some exceptionally cheap deals there!

cheers Peter
Old Aug 23, 2000, 6:52 am

When I plan a trip I visit
http://www.johnnyjet.com/Portal1.html

This site has many, many links to travel websites.

For hotels I use
http://www.travelnow.com/hotels/

The hotel rooms at this website are mostly cheaper than on the chains websites. Just booked a 4-star Steigenberger Hotel in Brussels for $ 65.00 a night.
Old Aug 24, 2000, 10:26 am

I think trip.com seems to be a good one. It will give you alternate flights for many different airlines. When the results come up, the top of the page says Intellitrip, so they must still be around (an earlier post said that they were sued).
Old Aug 24, 2000, 10:41 am
Original Member

I believe they had to get permission to use the data from the other sites, limiting the number of sites they could use. They seem to have a fair number now, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.