Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Most Embarassing Thing I've Ever Done to Get Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 1999, 12:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
If somebody would have found out - yes - I would have been embarassed.

I did buy a rather high priced international full-prize airline ticket (2 years ago?) and paid with my Diners (with points = miles), later I asked for a full refund to be credited to my Eurocard (associated with Mastercard without points/miles) ...

(at least, initially I really had the intention to fly)
Old Jun 7, 1999, 2:17 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Wow, you people are all FREAKS!

Seriously, though, a friend of mine once booked a back-to-back from the mid-atlantic to Seattle in order to beat a midweek stay fare. He positioned the returns so that the westbound return was 7AM and the eastbound return was 1PM on the same day (a few weeks after the mid-week meeting). My friend then flew the back side of the back-to-back and ended up flying west and then back east in the course of about 11 hours on, it turned out, the same aircraft...

Of course, I have since sternly counciled my friend that back to backs are illegal, immoral, unlawful, spiteful, communist, radical and have been known to cause blindness and hairy palms...
Old Jun 7, 1999, 3:07 pm
dr

Maybe to take this a little further, what are some things people can recommend doing now? I'm particularly interested in bonuses offered to joing a club, etc. e.g. I've opened several etrade accounts to get miles. Any other good, if slightly wierd things that can be done to accrue miles?
Old Jun 7, 1999, 3:07 pm
dr

Maybe to take this a little further, what are some things people can recommend doing now? I'm particularly interested in bonuses offered to joing a club, etc. e.g. I've opened several etrade accounts to get miles. Any other good, if slightly wierd things that can be done to accrue miles?
Old Jun 7, 1999, 7:45 pm

Catman & Punki: Last Thanksgiving I flew SEA-PDX-SEA on AS in order to get the last 1000 miles I needed for MVP status. And if that wasn't enough---I took the ONE flight that was on a jet with First Class. I upgraded of course.

All the best memes,
Richard Brodie
Old Jun 8, 1999, 12:46 am
geo1004

BA fan: With a quote like that, why did I know you were from the Bay area!

Old Jun 8, 1999, 7:53 am
Commander Catcop

After that last post Richard Brodie, I know you are more than just a futurist but a FF conseissure (SP) like all of us! So be proud and enjoy those miles on a great airline, Alaska who I flew once, in Coach, loved it and wish it could be cloned for the East Coast.

We can call it JERSEY Airlines!

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

Old Jun 8, 1999, 9:34 am

Being the analytical individual that I will always be, have just done the following:

1-reviewed several programs for past 2 years for extra miles, of the non-flying kind, such as stuff mentioned in my earlier post. Easily came up with 150,000 miles from doing stuff that non-mileaholics might think is obsessive or just utsnay.

2-Just checked Travelocity for the following round-trip fares from the midwest, America's heartland:

Tokyo - First Class $10,000+
London -Business Class $$5,800
Total for both of the above $15,800+

I have recently flown the Tokyo route using miles for First Class, and also bought a $400 coach ticket to London, and used miles to upgrade to Business class. As I see it, I'm out of pocket $400 and 120,000 miles and saved over $15,000 in airfare. Anybody who thinks we're nuts probably never goes anyplace, or just doesn't "get it"!

Thanks for validating my obsession!
Old Jun 8, 1999, 11:32 pm
In Memoriam

SF1K is right: United no longer flies San Francisco to Oakland. But they do fly SFO to Los Angeles or Monterrey just as cheaply. Many times when I needed segments I would book two round trips in one day, go to SFO and check in for all of them, and drive home (why bother with the flights?) But once we did fly to Monterrey for the day (both of us needed the two additional segments, and the then-partner hates driving), and another time we needed four segments each so booked SFO to LAX down at 9:00 a.m. and 9:30 a.m., back at 5:00 and 6:00. We took the 9:00 down, and rented a car to pick up the friends who took our 9:30 seats down, spent the day and reversed the process coming home that evening. You'd think the computer would have noticed that we couldn't have taken two flights half hour apart, but it never did and we both got our bonuses...plus had a nice day in LA.

And Counsellor, 1988 was the Triple Mileage year (or, since I was still working then and hence Premier Executive, Quadruple Mileage). Ah, those were the days!

[This message has been edited by johna (edited 06-08-1999).]
Old Jun 9, 1999, 7:31 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, United PE, Marriott Platinum
TO: GEO1004

Because you think BA Fan stand for Bay Area Fan! Smile!

BA Fan
Old Jun 10, 1999, 8:41 am
geo1004

BA Fan: "Nothin' left to do but... "

Old Jun 10, 1999, 10:36 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
doc: No - I didn't even try - I am so shy!
Old Jun 10, 1999, 11:46 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Forgot to ask Rudi- did you manage to get mileage credit for the "unflown" trip as well?
Old Jun 12, 1999, 9:46 am
pgupta011

I got quite a few laughs reading this thread. But noone seems to be embarassed, rather there is some serious public gloating.

BTW Premex, I've received almost 20K miles from the Mileage Plus Dining program, some of my restauarant visits were not posted properly in the first year, but I've always received credit for all of my visits.

Old Jun 13, 1999, 11:26 am
bryan at webflyer

Geo1004: Now that I know there is someone out there (for sure) who will get those (ahem) "Bay Area" references, I'll delight in dropping them. As they say, "we are everywhere," even on FlyerTalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.