Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Most Embarassing Thing I've Ever Done to Get Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2000, 6:35 pm

What is the Buick promo?
Old Jul 27, 2000, 8:56 pm

I buy hundreds of dollars worth of Canadian lottery tickets for European relatives each month using my Diners card. Do you know how much of a LOSER I feel like when I ask for a hundred tickets and then pay for them with a credit card?? (what's that condescending look - I'll get rich one day by doing this, just you wait and see!).

Fortunately, I now buy all those tickets from one particular gas station convenience store where they know that I buy them on behalf of my relatives so I can get the ff miles. In fact, now when I walk in I don't even have to say a word - I just smile and they say just a moment while someone goes to the back room to get a stack of tickets for me.

I do have my pride, but geez those are a lot of miles earned over a year...
Old Jul 27, 2000, 9:24 pm

[This message has been edited by wingless5 (edited 07-27-2000).]

[This message has been edited by wingless5 (edited 08-02-2000).]
Old Aug 13, 2000, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
davidlee,

The Buick promo was (I don't think it's "is" any more, though they may have revived it) an offer where you could get (in my case, there may have been variations) 5,000 Delta miles for test-driving a particular model of Buick about a year ago. Buick mailed you a letter with a postcard, the dealer stamped the card, you sent it in, the miles showed up. I don't know how they picked people to get the offer.
Old Aug 14, 2000, 5:13 pm

Programs: a little here, a little there
Looks like the Buick promo right now is for a Tiger Woods hat ;( No miles...
Old Aug 15, 2000, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Akelly, Rudi,

My wife KNOWS I'm crazy. Who else would spend over 23 years umpiring baseball and taking all that abuse (not to mention the crazy things we do for miles/status)?
Old Aug 16, 2000, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Embarassing .... no. Risky .... YES!

A company called Travelex offered double Qantas points for every $A you spent buying or cashing traveller checks for a 1 month period. It was aimed at people taking a few £100 to Europe etc.

I had some spare money around earning 3%pa or whatever in the bank, so I bought $US20,000 in T/C which cost me then about $A30,000. Got 60,000 QF points.

Sweated for next few weeks until $A slowly improved on exhange rate against $US. Travelex "builds" about 3-4% margin into their "spread" between buying and selling.

Sweated some more. $A sneaks up about 5% in that time. Take the T/C, still in original folder and have them give me $A back. Got another 60,000+ miles AND made some decent change on the deal too, as I was by then well ahead of the "Travelex" spread.

Now if the $A had kept going DOWN, like it has recently it was a whole different ball game!

120,000+ QF points gave me over three "Around Australia" trips in Business Class all the way. (No 1st domestically).

Those fights are THE FF bargain in Australia BTW. They allow 11,000 Kms WHEREVER you want to go on QF, taking up to a year. Be same sort of deal as UA allowing you to fly 11,000 kms right around USA in 1st - your choice of routes and days. As long as you do not transit your original destination they are valid. Ansett also offers same deal, same points.

Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:22 am
dr

Whatever happened to coupon connection?

I can’t seem to find it anymore. I saw some chatter that it got discontinued but then I thought it was reestablish
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dr
I can’t seem to find it anymore. I saw some chatter that it got discontinued but then I thought it was reestablish
It exists, but I think there is a minimum post count to be able to see it.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:26 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by dr
You were grandfathered in because you registered for this site before the entry requirement was bumped to 180 posts and 180 days. A big change since you were there is the disallowance of any AA instruments. You'll find the forum under community.

Carol
Community Director
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:06 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

As our Community Director has answered the question, I'm going to close this 19 year old thread.

Thank you,

MileageAddict

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.