Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

The Most Embarassing Thing I've Ever Done to Get Miles

The Most Embarassing Thing I've Ever Done to Get Miles

Old Jun 3, 1999, 11:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Late last year was in danger of losing Gold on CO. Needed 3 segments to hit the 40 segment level (CO has since changed Gold to 60 segments). Purchased same day roundtrip on-line (DCA-EWR-Providence) for day after Christmas for $160. Get call from CO at home at 6:45 AM on day of departure - flight to EWR cancelled. They rebook me on AA flight thru JFK to Providence. Walk over to CO counter to get on standby list for earlier flight back to EWR. Bump other standbys (guess they weren't Gold) and make flight. Gate agent also confirms EWR-DCA earlier flight and upgrades me to first.

Received the following miles (in addition to Gold status):
1000 CO miles for on-line booking
320 AMEX MR points($160x2 Rewards+Gold card)
2936 CO miles + Gold bonuses for the segments (includes miles for the cancelled flights)
7500 CO bonus miles (40 segment threshold)
1000 AA miles for the 2 segments

Not a bad day (12,756 miles) for $160!
Old Jun 3, 1999, 11:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
I do most of my travel between SFO and So. Cal, but almost always try to stop somewhere to get 4 segements per R/T. I figure I need to do at least 8 segments per month (8*12 = 96, plus one extra RT to qualify for 1K). Yes, I do think it is worth it, especially when I take those overseas vacations in First Class for nothing. Also, love the free shuttle upgrades, confimred o/w upgrades, mileage bonus, 1K centers, etc.

I've flown SFO-LAX-SNA-LAX (final destination LAX) and then returned home non-stop, just to get extra segments.

I agree with, auh20, that forsight is well worth it. I hate scrambling in December to try and make it, so I plan accordingly all year.
Old Jun 3, 1999, 11:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Two years ago AC had a promotion that if you flew 48 segments (any fare) you would get 2 free business class tickets anywhere in the world on Star Alliance carriers. This was too good to be true. At the time they were having fare wars on a route I travel frequently (about $40US round trip for a same day return airfare booked 2 weeks in advance). You can imagine that my mind got hyperactive.

I did a lot of figuring and instead of staying in the other city overnight at a cost of $100 plus per night (including meals and hotel) I would return home every night--worked out cheaper plus I was ferrying materials back and forth anyway (you can rationalize anything ). Since it is my company I make travel policy and got my segments.

Some enterprising folks just got on the plane each morning for 3 consecutive days and flew every flight back and forth (you could squeeze in 16 segments (8 round trips) in one day with the high frequency of flights). The flight attendants would say--nice to see you again Mr. X. Some of those guys were written up in the local paper.

For about $1000 US ($1500 CAD) we got 2 free business class tickets from Canada to South Africa on AC and LH (worth about $10000 US). Well worth the extra bit of effort -- cost me a bit more time in travelling but saved me some money overall plus I got great tickets! No such luck these days, you have to buy tickets in higher fare classes to qualify for similar promos now.

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 06-04-99).]
Old Jun 4, 1999, 12:06 am
pgupta011

On second thought maybe we were a little harsh on that Richard Brodie guy (though I do not agree with Richard's views).

Old Jun 4, 1999, 12:07 am

A couple of years ago my travel schedule was a bit sparse so in order to maintain my Gold status with NW I took a couple of US holiday super-saver flights from YUL-ANC. One on the 4th of July, the other on Labour Day. Got to see fireworks at 2AM on Independence Day (talk about a long day where the sun barely sets!) in Anchorage. Both flights cost me about $600 USD total, got booted up front on all segments, maintained my status, and got to go mountain climbing.
Then my wife booked us on an Alaskan cruise! Another time, just after the AA pilots' strike, NW was matching AA's offer of double miles. I flew YUL-HNL for $575 USD and got triple miles (with my Gold bonus). Ah, the good old days. Value of the miles exceeded the cost of the plane fare, and that was the most expensive fare I've ever paid on that route in 6 trips!
Old Jun 4, 1999, 12:38 am
Original Member

Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA**US Airways Gold, Marriott Gold
I've never had any opportunity (yet) to do anything really crazy for miles (flying out of CHA limits you in that regard). However...

the Marriot 15k points for five stays paid with a Visa was another matter. I'd had three Nashville trips in the period (oddly, at a different Courtyard each time) plus a seminar at the conference center in Chicago. And so, to finish it off, I spent a night at a Fairfield in literal walking distance of my house!
Old Jun 4, 1999, 12:43 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Last year I took a day return on CO from EWR-DCA to qualify as Silver. Not much in that.

But, the agent at Presidents Club said I was about the 5th person that day just taking flights to requalify.

Nice lounge - but that was all I saw of DC. However, the crew were stunned when I got straight back on and went to the same seat I had just vacated. Too polite to ask why they just smiled.

My punishment was a 2 hour delay landing at EWR!

Old Jun 4, 1999, 1:50 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

In the summer of 1997, United offered a promotion where you would receive 5,000 bonus miles if you flew one more segment than you did in the previous year.

Not wanting to lose out on this offer but not having any real excuse for a flight before the promotion expired, I purchased a 14-day advance purchase ticket for a Saturday morning. Fortunately, this particular route does not require a Saturday night stayover. I left SEA at 9:00am, arrived in SFO around 10:45am, instead of waiting around for my return flight 90 minutes later, I flew standby on a return flight that left 10 minutes after I arrived in SFO! I never spent so little time in an airport. Ended up back home by 1:30pm.
Old Jun 4, 1999, 1:53 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Here's another one...many years ago, I wanted to qualify for Hyatt Platinum but needed 6 more stays to qualify. Hyatt did not count each night but each stay towards qualification. I was in Columbus, OH which had (maybe it still does...) two different Hyatts. During the course of a week, I checked out of one Hyatt, moved to the other one and repeated the process all week long!
Old Jun 4, 1999, 8:06 am
Original Member

Well, let's see--when we lived in south Houston, I had a 6-month assignment in St. Louis. Rather than fly CO out of Houston Intercontinental (Now, I think, George Bush), I flew Ellington Field to Intercontinental, then to St. Louis. Eight minutes on an ATR turboprop, but I got a segment and 500 more miles each way, plus free parking.

Once the flight was cancelled, and they put us in taxis to Houston Intercontinental. I wrote CO and got my segment and miles for THAT one, too.
Old Jun 4, 1999, 9:23 am
geo1004

Last year, US Airways sent a promo that stated: fly 12,500 in the next 2 months and we'll give you a 10,000 bonus. I already had about 7,000 miles within the promo period. So, I bought a $400 r/t from DCA to Madrid, departing Sat. night and returning, you guessed it, the next day. I recieved about 8400 elite miles for the r/t (with connection in PHL), 8400 100% Preferred Plus bonus miles, plus the 10,000 promo miles. Net: 26,800 miles (plus I relly needed the elite miles). When I checked in at the counter at DCA, the agent said "Please tell me you are not doing this just for the miles?" My response:

[This message has been edited by geo1004 (edited 06-04-99).]

Old Jun 4, 1999, 11:33 am
Original Member

I have taken an extra flight here or there, but use the time to go see real people, rather than just deadheading back from another airport. I have frequently gone out of my way to take connecting flights on an airline that I need miles or segments on, rather than a direct flight (such as TWA PHL to STL to Birmingham to get my final two segments for their recent promo, rather than direct flights on US air), but I just can't bring myself to take flights to nowhere just to qualify for levels. The extra levels, rewards, etc. just aren't worth the extra time away from my family. But I certainly admire all of you for your efforts.

Djlawman

[This message has been edited by Djlawman (edited 06-04-99).]
Old Jun 4, 1999, 12:28 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
geo1004, that has to be one of the coolest (most stupid ;-))things I have seen posted yet! I admit to have taken several trips like that, and I always felt guilty for it. But anyway, I thank you for posting that...at least I know I'm not alone!
Old Jun 4, 1999, 12:37 pm
geo1004

It is nice to have a support group...

Old Jun 4, 1999, 1:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
I was never embarrassed by this but did it often:

Fly to Chicago, rent Avis, stay for a week, never in the same Hyatt for more that one night. That helped me get my Diamond level (25 separate stays) and 500 points for each night with Avis! I have also done this between the Sheraton DT Seattle and the Hyatt in Belevue, again multiple dipping my avis rental.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.