Wiki Posts
Search

1,000,000 bonus miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2000, 12:26 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

1,000,000 bonus miles

An offer Dr. Evil (Austin Powers fans will know) could not resist! One meelyun miles!

One Million Miles Bonus will be earned by any member who flies at least one international segment on EACH of the nine (9) LatinPass carrier. Flies at least three (3) segments on ANY of our partner airlines (KLM, USAIRWAYS, TWA). Stays at least three (3) nights in at least any two of our partner hotels and rents a car for at least five (5) days from any of our Car Rental partners, from January 1, to July 1, 2000.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: The Airline Mileage Workshop

Old Jan 8, 2000, 12:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL

This would seem eminently doable for relatively little. Any fare class restrictions on that?
Old Jan 8, 2000, 2:24 pm
Original Member

David--where did this appear? Thanks.

Djlawman
Old Jan 8, 2000, 2:44 pm
Original Member

Hmmm.... 9 international segments, all on different carriers? Seems like that might take a little work, and cost. The other requirements should be easy enought, but this one -- I dunno.
Old Jan 8, 2000, 5:58 pm
Original Member

Before I start, I would like to know the rules but here are some thoughts.

I don't even know the Latin Pass rules so maybe those fare restrictions are already in place (they reserve the right for some carriers to exclude certain fares). South American fares tend to be relatively cheap even for full fare so maybe not a real problem.

Does international mean intercontinental or is intracontinental OK?

Some possibilities (although authorities might think you are into emerald or diamond smuggling if you keep coming into Bogota as your hub ):

ACES Bogota-Quito ($170 US 1-way) no restrictions
AEROPOSTAL Bogota-Quito ($170 US 1-way) no restrictions
AVIANCA Bogota-Quito ($170 US 1-way) no restrictions
COPA Bogota-Panama ($300US RT no restrictions)
GRUPOTACA Panama-San Jose (CR) $300US 1-way no restrictions)
SAETA Bogota-Quito ($170 US 1-way) no restrictions

KLM Amsterdam-London (can be done cheap)
TWA STL to London $300US RT(min Saturday stay)
US AIRWAYS PHL to London ($200US RT (min Saturday stay) but could combine round trips back to back with TWA to minimize stay if you don't want to enjoy UK. They advertise $99 one-way but can you buy one way from these carriers?

$1300US for intra Central/South American fares (probably can do better with good planning, staying longer, enjoying the scenery--may cost more for hotels and food but you might have fun doing this). Do cheap $200-600 fares to and in Europe on TWA, KLM and US and use points to get to Caracas, Bogota, SJO or Panama. Looks like it can be done for under $1500 US if you try harder, not counting hotels, meals, taxes etc.

Even if you did RT fares on each carrier it wouldn't add up to a huge amount. Several of these fares are combinable with other the carriers (in fact the other carriers may offer exactly the same fares).

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 01-08-2000).]
Old Jan 8, 2000, 9:01 pm

Programs: CO Infinite Elite, SPG Plat, US Gold, MR Plat, etc
BlondeBomber -

How did you get the info as to where COPA, AeroPostal, etc fly in order to make those price comparisons? Sorry if it is a simple question, I am only a "Junior" member.

Thanks....
Old Jan 8, 2000, 9:34 pm
Original Member

Just go to http://www.latinpass.com to get to each partners website the easy way.

Then go to Travelocity and check out fares between city pairs that these airlines fly--use the fare listings feature under "Tools" to see all the fares available and fare rules.
Old Jan 8, 2000, 10:05 pm
Original Member

Whoops!

Well, I guess it's a good thing to get kicked by your own geographic parochialism once in a while. I'm too used to thinking International means overseas.

"Measure twice, cut once."
"Think twice, speak once."
"I cut it twice, and it's still too short."
Old Jan 8, 2000, 11:42 pm
Original Member

Do Aces or Avianca have any flights that do *not* connect in Colombia?

<http://travel.state.gov/colombia_warning.html>
Old Jan 8, 2000, 11:47 pm
Original Member

ACES and AVIANCA are Colombian airlines and all of their routes are based out of Colombia. It's Bogota or bust I'm afraid. I wouldn't worry too much about going in and out of the airport (other than the suspicious immigration people who might question the sanity of a frequent flyer gringo), just might be some problems if you are heading out into the country or some of the regional centers. There are others on this board who have, still do?, travel there without problems.
Old Jan 9, 2000, 2:41 am

w

[This message has been edited by 3544quebec (edited 01-09-2000).]
Old Jan 9, 2000, 2:43 am

Just needed something like this to flush me out from under a rock.

Diamond and Emerald smuggling are the last thing that customs would be worried about with all those flights through Bogota BlondeBomber!!

The original post says "at least one international segment on EACH of the nine (9) LatinPass carriers" and "at least three (3) segments on ANY of our partner airlines (KLM, USAIRWAYS, TWA)" Note that KLM,US and TWA are not LatinPass carriers but partner airlines so the flights must have to include one international segment on each of the Grupo Taca Airlines - Aviateca, Lacsa, Taca and Nica as well as Saeta, Avianca, Aeropostal, Aces and Copa. So a bit more flying around Central America would be needed.

It also doesn't say that the partner airline flights need to be international only the LatinPass carrier flights - awaiting further details with baited breath.

As for the safety or otherwise of Bogota - just over a year ago I travelled with my niece overland from Quito to Bogota without the hint of a problem. Of course if either of us had been worth kidnapping it may have been a different story.

As someone who has spent countless hours sitting around airports in Lima, Bogota, Quito, Guayaquil, Aruba, Tegucicalpa and Guatemala City - if its just to earn a million points, I say bring on the 6000 chocolate puddings.

[This message has been edited by 3544quebec (edited 01-09-2000).]
Old Jan 9, 2000, 4:47 am
Original Member

Glad to see that people aren't totally worn out from reading and doing the oneworld 100K bonuses.

PS. Don't know why I said diamonds. Emeralds are a big thing and "tightly" controlled by Colombian government. I meant drugs and emeralds.

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 01-09-2000).]
Old Jan 9, 2000, 10:06 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

The offer has more details and greater flexibility! Here you go:

500,000 Bonus will be earned by any member who flies at least one international segment on at least six (6) LatinPass carriers. Flies at least two (2) segments on any of our partner airlines (KLM, USAIRWAYS, TWA). Stays at least three (3) nights in any of our partner hotels and rents a car for at least three (3) days from any of our Car Rental partners. From January 1, to July 1, 2000.

100,000 Bonus will be earned by any member who flies at least one international segment on at least three (3) LatinPass carriers, one of which must be outside of Central America. Flies at least one (1) segment on any of our partner airlines (KLM, USAIRWAYS, TWA). Stays at least two (2) nights in any of partner hotels and rents a car for at least two (2) days from any of our Car Rental partners. from January 1, to July 1, 2000.

Since this info is not posted at the LatinPass website, I should let you know I received this information through an email from my contact at LatinPass. Because I run a mileage website, I receive updated info frequently this way.

Contact LatinPass at 800-445-2846 for more details.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: The Airline Mileage Workshop

Old Jan 9, 2000, 11:16 am
Original Member

Thanks Mileage Addict!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.