Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

1,000,000 bonus miles

1,000,000 bonus miles

Old Jan 9, 00, 10:47 pm

Perhaps it's time to brush up on our spanish? Below is some information I pulled together to help in trip planning. The list probably has several errors and omissions, but should include most of the cities served by each LatinPass airline. Note that I didn't include AEROPOSTAL, nor did I break down GRUPO TACA.

ACES (VX)
Colombia: Bogotá (BOG); Cali (CLO)
Dominican Republic: Santo Domingo (SDQ)
Ecuador: Quito (UIO)
Perú: Lima (LIM)
Puerto Rico: San Juan (SJU)
United States: Miami (MIA)

AVIANCA (AV)
Argentina: Buenos Aires (BUE)
Brazil: Caucasia (CAQ); Rio De Janeiro (RIO); Salvador (SSA); Sao Paulo (SAO)
Chile: Santiago de Chile (SCL)
Colombia: Armenia (AXS); Bogotá (BOG); Cali (CLO); Cucuta (CUC); Medellin (MDE); Pereira (PEI); San Andrés (ADZ)
Costa Rica: San José (SJO)
Cuba: Habana (HAV)
Ecuador: Guayaquil (GYE); Quito (UIO)
France: Paris (PAR)
Germany: Frankfurt (FRA)
Great Britan: London - Heathrow (LHR)
Guatemala: Guatemala City (GUA)
Mexico: México City (MEX)
Panama: Panamá City (PTY)
Peru: Lima (LIM)
Spain: Madrid (MAD)
United States: Los Angeles (LAX); Miami (MIA); New York (JFK); Newark (EWR)
Venezuela: Caracas (CCS)
West Indian Isles: Aruba (AUA); Curacao (CUR)

COPA (CM)
Colombia: Barranquilla (BAQ); Bogotá (BOG); Cali (CLO); Medellin (MDE)
Costa Rica: San José (SJO)
Dominican Republic: Santo Domingo (SDQ)
El Salvador: San Salvador (SAL)
Haiti: Port Au Prince (PAP)
Honduras: San Pedro Sula (SAP)
Jamaica: Kingston (KIN); Montenego Bay (MBJ)
Mexico: Cancún (CUN); México City (MEX)
Nicaragua: Managua (MGA)
United States: Miami (MIA); Newark (EWR); Orlando (MCO)

GRUPO TACA (GU/LR/TA/6Y)
Belize: Belize City (BZE)
Canadá: Toronto (YTO)
Colombia: Bogotá (BOG); San Andrés (ADZ)
Costa Rica: Liberia (LIR); San José (SJO)
Honduras: San Pedro Sula (SAP); Tegucigalpa (TGU)
México: Cancún (CUN); México City (MEX)
Nicaragua: Managua (MGA)
Panamá: Panamá City (PTY)
Perú: Cuzco (CUZ); Iquitos (IQT); Lima (LIM)
Puerto Rico: San Juan (SJU)
United States: Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW); Houston (IAH); Los Angeles (LAX); Miami (MIA); New Orleans (MSY); New York (JFK); Orlando (MCO); San Francisco (SFO); Washington (IAD)

SAETA (EH)
Bolivia: Cochabamba (CBB); La Paz (LPB); Santa Cruz De La Sierra (SRZ)
Colombia: Bogotá (BOG)
Ecuador: Guayaquil (GYE); Quito (UIO); San Cristobal (SCY)
United States: Chicago (ORD); Los Angeles (LAX); Miami (MIA)
Old Jan 10, 00, 9:20 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
NICA airline flies between which city pairs? I can't find any listing for this airline outside of the Grupo Taca website saying that it is one of its four constituent airlines.
Old Jan 10, 00, 9:27 am

Managua and Miami,San Salvador,San Jose,Guatemala City and Panama City.
San Salvador and Guatemala City.
San Jose and Panama City.
All their flights appear to be code-shares on other Grupo Taca airlines and while their route-map shows all the above city pairs the only flight that I can find is a daily return Managua-San Salvador operated by Taca with Nica codeshare. At least it limits the number of flight possibilities you can get caught up with!

Similarly, SAETA's repertoire is nowhere near as extensive as the dessert fiend suggests. I'm fairly certain that their current international flights are only BOG-UIO-BOG and LIM-UIO-LIM

[This message has been edited by 3544quebec (edited 01-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by 3544quebec (edited 01-10-2000).]
Old Jan 10, 00, 9:54 pm
Original Member

Let's say I did all this and then LatinPass didn't post the million mile bonus. Would I have any legal recourse???
Old Jan 11, 00, 7:02 am
Original Member

Flying Dutchman - And why wouldn't they post?!?!

I'm going to do the promotion because I'm going to be travelling at length in the region. Since I will not be going out of my way (hopefully) to get this bonus, it will just be a bonus, rather than a mileage run. The only change for me will be flying Latin Pass airlines rather then the others.

Anyone - Wasn't LanChile a partner in Latin Pass in the past or did that go wayward when they signed up as partners in oneworld.

FYI - The Mileage Expiration policy (so we can use these 1,000,000 miles!!)

"Mileage Expiration
Mileage does not expire for LatinPass members who remain active. If your account does not have at least one qualifying activity in a 36 month period, all mileage earned will expire. Qualifying activity is defined as accruing mileage credit on any LatinPass participating airline, as well as accruing mileage credit with participating hotels, car rental companies, and other service providers offering LatinPass mileage credits. Transfering mileage to a LatinPass account is not considered a qualifying activity."

It seems that regular US and TW awards apply and their other awards are not too steep.

------------------
Cheers.

Leo.
Old Jan 11, 00, 7:04 am
Original Member

A couple of other things to bear in mind whilst flight planning:

"Most code-share flights are excluded from earning mileage credit."

"Mileage is earned on any published fare. Fare basis and regulations determine eligibility. Certain types of tickets are ineligible for accrual of miles. They include but are not limited to free tickets, LatinPass award tickets, travel industry or reduced fares, infant tickets, and tickets issued subject to special provisions. All participating airlines reserve the right to exclude certain fares from earning mileage credit."

------------------
Cheers.

Leo.
Old Jan 11, 00, 7:42 am

I called Latinpass. The rep told me the bonus offer should be posted on the Latinpass website by Friday, Jan.14.
She was reading the offer to me and she said to get 1,000,000 miles you need to fly the 11 Latin American airlines? Seeing the official offer will help.
Old Jan 11, 00, 7:58 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Wanaque, NJ -UA-G; SPG-Plat (Lifetime Gold)
Did anyone look at the awards this program offers. It appears that the only way to get to ASIA from the US is on KLM, and then there is no First Class option, only Business Class. Similarly, only Business Class on US Airways with a limited European presence. I don't know about code shares. TWA does offer First Class tickets, but only to Europe, US etc. Unless you want a lot of free travel to South America, the awards offered by the South American Airlines are pretty plain vanilla. I wonder if its worth the effort given the award choices. Anyone have an opinion?

[This message has been edited by Vulcan (edited 01-11-2000).]
Old Jan 11, 00, 9:45 am

Does anyone have an opinion? What a question to ask on this board!

Personally I think that 13 business class returns from Australia to Europe on KLM is a pretty good deal or 8 business class from North/Central america to Australia via Europe.

I'd be more concerned about the long-term viability of LatinPass - LanChile dropped out, Faucett went bust, I think they had an Argentinian partner that is no longer there. I 'm not sure what each of the airline's commitment to LatinPass is as they each have their own frequent flier program as well.Copa is affiliated with Continental, Grupo Taca with American and LatinPass with TWA and USAir - it all seems a bit disorganised to me. What if all the airlines dropped out and only Nica remained - a million miles would give you a lot of Managua - San Salvador flights and there is not even a Business Class on those flights to help you burn up those miles.

As for all 11 Latin American carriers - I can come up with a 10th - TACA Peru is a new carrier but I don't know if they have any international flights.

[This message has been edited by 3544quebec (edited 01-11-2000).]
Old Jan 11, 00, 3:43 pm
Original Member

I spoke with Juan at LatinPass today, and he said that you could substitute a Lacsa or Taca flight for the Nica flight.
Old Jan 11, 00, 6:17 pm
Original Member

Quebec 3544:

Agree with you about the concern being the long-term viability of Latin Pass rather than the miles being posted. What would happen if they decided to disband the Latin Pass scheme?? Would we be able to put all the miles into another program or would they just be lost forever ... ?? I mean 1,000,000 miles is a lot to burn up especially if you want to keep your Elite status going!!

------------------
Cheers.

Leo.
Old Jan 11, 00, 6:31 pm

2,000,000 Hilton points. With point stretchers that is about 160 nights. You can still get about 60 nights using standard rewards. That would more than pay the cost of accruing the miles.
Old Jan 11, 00, 7:49 pm
Original Member

I think LatinPass does have a future b/c the carriers have to pay a lot less dollars for a mile w/LatinPass than with their affiliates (COPA/CO, or AA.) This is mighty tempting, although the relative unreliability of air travel in the region makes mileage runs a little risky.

jl
Old Jan 11, 00, 9:03 pm
Pam at Webflyer

Not only that, Satori, but LatinPass participates in Hilton's Reward Exchange, so you could funnel those miles into another airline. You'd lose some value, but it might be worth it if you can find some low air fares and room rates.

Old Jan 11, 00, 9:55 pm
Original Member

As Pam noted, these bonus miles can be converted using the Hilton HHonors Reward Exchange.

1,000,000 Latin Pass miles can be converted into 2,000,000 Hilton HHonors points.

These 2,000,000 Hilton HHonors points can then be converted into 300,000 miles in your choice of program (if it's part of the Hilton HHonors Program obviously.)

Since I'm yet to be convinced that Latin Pass will be around long enough for me to burn 1,000,000 miles, I'm going to probably transfer them to my program of choice: DL via Hilton.

Search this Thread