Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are you buying any Miles & Points promotion at this time?

Old May 12, 20, 10:38 am
Original Poster

It seems like airlines are running many promotions to encourage (future) air travel. The latest of which is a 500 AAdvantage miles bonus on flights from 07/01 to 12/31 (booked before 05/18). There are a myriad of promotion from other airlines too.

Curious if you are buying into any of these promotion at this time? And if so, which one and why?

Last edited by lakersgo; May 12, 20 at 12:08 pm
Old May 12, 20, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Are you referring to buying miles or revenue tickets?
Old May 13, 20, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
It may make sense, just depends on the risk premium you receive from the seller (airline, hotel). If in normal times you'd value 1mile=1penny, these days the rate should be considerably better, because you are giving real money in exchange for points, valid only as long as the issuer is around. Also historical inflation of miles/points are higher than that of hard currency.

Also, you can nearly always get a seat on the flight you want for money, but there is no such surety for miles/points. And you can use the money for buying anything you want whereas you can spend the miles at the issuer only.
GUWonder and manually like this.
Old May 13, 20, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
only the aeroplan promotion. It was a exception though.
Old May 13, 20, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
I've bought some Wyndham points for the first time ever - they had a 40% bonus. I plan to use them at a 7.5k/night hotel that typically sells for over 150euro/night, and using points means they're refundable for free, so less of a risk with Covid restrictions being unpredictable right now.
Old May 30, 20, 12:44 am

Dont't Do it

Don't invest in any Miles now ! Save your cash. Unless t's 3 for 1
Old May 30, 20, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
No. I'm overloaded with miles, about 700,000 between my four main airlines and more elsewhere and there's nowhere to use them. I would rather hold onto my cash in case my business needs it than give it to the airlines in exchange for something hard to use.
Old Jun 16, 20, 2:36 pm
Suspended

I have considered buying miles myself, however there is a lot of uncertainty around which carriers will survive and what the programs will look like. I am in no hurry, but I will revisit in a few weeks!
Old Jun 17, 21, 10:59 am

The only time I purchase miles is if I need a few hundred or thousand for a redemption. The rest of the time it's just too risky, as airlines have repeatedly shown they will massively devalue their programs with little or no notice.
Old Jun 17, 21, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've been buying loads of Lifemiles for use during this pandemic. But it's been a "buy-as-go" approach -- as in don't buy unless going with ticketing right away.

But I don't foresee myself buying miles like this after travel demand picks up even more and award space plummets or gets priced into the astrophere when it comes to trying to use miles for flight tickets.
writerguyfl and mildfrequence like this.
Old Jun 18, 21, 3:03 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by ankomonkey View Post
I've bought some Wyndham points for the first time ever - they had a 40% bonus. I plan to use them at a 7.5k/night hotel that typically sells for over 150euro/night, and using points means they're refundable for free, so less of a risk with Covid restrictions being unpredictable right now.
I did something similar with IHG points buying at a half cent each, with the bonus, and redeeming for 1 cent+. May do the same with some Hyatt points I could use, paying 1.84 cents per and redeeming for almost 3 cents. Otherwise, no need to buy points or miles, though I'm using up my Avios and my GF's AA and AS miles.
Old Jun 23, 21, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm an occasional just-in-time buyer, with Hyatt and IHG being the primary ones I've bought in the past year. Only when the "payoff" is basically instant - booking the stay right then.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jun 26, 21, 1:33 am
Suspended

Agree with the previous posters. Right now, I only buy for immediate use with confirmed reward availability.

I think people are sitting on large miles & points balances due to few redemption options during the last year and a half. Now, that places have reopened, it's clear there is good competition among people sitting on miles & points. A few Hiltons I frequent now provide a points value of approximately 0.3 cent per point as opposed to >0.4 cent a year ago. With regards to airlines, I am already looking at a few AF routes with no award availability for many months on end.
Old Jun 29, 21, 5:47 pm

For me, there are only two reasons to ever buy miles/points. The first is what several other folks mentioned: when you have a specific stay already planned and the purchase is cheaper than cash.

The second reason is to purchase a small number to keep orphan points from expiring in a program you don't typically use. Even that is rare, as it's typically possible to trigger a chance in renew date by purchasing something via a hotel/airline-branded online portal.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 21, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I did buy, according to the second reason above, a small amount of Meli Rewards points to keep my account alive with Meli hotels. At 5 for 1,000 it wasn't a bad deal.

Search this Thread