Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

What is the best hotel program for luxury stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Which hotel program should I sign up for a credit card with, join rewards program and upgrade to club level access?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:26 pm

AFAIK none of the luxury hotel chains are tied up with any credit card companies. Only the likes of “general” 5-star hotels likes the ones of the Marriott and Starwood have credit card tie-ups. Luxury chains like Four Seasons, Peninsula, Mandarin etc. don’t have that sort of setup.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NikonDuser
AFAIK none of the luxury hotel chains are tied up with any credit card companies. Only the likes of “general” 5-star hotels likes the ones of the Marriott and Starwood have credit card tie-ups. Luxury chains like Four Seasons, Peninsula, Mandarin etc. don’t have that sort of setup.
Ok if I limit my preference to Marriott, Ritz Carlton, and World of Hyatt, which one should I signup for and upgrade to Club level access at their 5 star hotels?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
No card (correct me if I'm wrong) will give you access to top tier clubs levels (RC, StR) without making the elite night requirements. You can't get it for free with a card, which is good. It would be worthless as a benefit if you could.
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
First the real Luxury Brands only offer Club Level at very few properties. There is one excemption of a CC which offers a lot of value for Luxury Hotels, the Amex Centurion (guaranteed Upgrades). But it´s not taht easy to get it and the price is that high that I for excample decided it´s with my few nichts cheaper to pay the ameneties at the hotel if not provided by Virtuoso.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:04 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
No card (correct me if I'm wrong) will give you access to top tier clubs levels (RC, StR) without making the elite night requirements. You can't get it for free with a card, which is good. It would be worthless as a benefit if you could.
If you get the Marriott Luxury card and spend $75K, you earn Platinum elite status. That gives you lounge access (at all but RC and other rare exceptions) and breakfast benefits (depends on brand). That also gets you suite upgrade possibilities at most brands (but not RC or Edition).

If you get the World of Hyatt card and spend $140K, you earn Hyatt Globalist status. That gives you lounge access and breakfast benefits, as well as suite upgrade possibilities at almost all properties.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhrubin
If you get the Marriott Luxury card and spend $75K, you earn Platinum elite status. That gives you lounge access (at all but RC and other rare exceptions) and breakfast benefits (depends on brand). That also gets you suite upgrade possibilities at most brands (but not RC or Edition).

If you get the World of Hyatt card and spend $140K, you earn Hyatt Globalist status. That gives you lounge access and breakfast benefits, as well as suite upgrade possibilities at almost all properties.
I am not a Hyatt guy, but it sounds like as far as the Marriott card that would give him lounge access at the non-luxury options which isn't really what he wants.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:21 pm

The discontinued Ritz Carlton Credit Card gives 3 club upgrade certificates a year.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:19 am

I am not a Hyatt guy, but it sounds like as far as the Marriott card that would give him lounge access at the non-luxury options which isn't really what he wants.
Ritz-Carlton does not give away club level to anyone routinely through upgrades/status/or otherwise. The only exceptions would be management deciding to extend club access on an exceptional basis, or for holder of the Cobalt Card, which is Ritz-Carlton’s most exclusive recognition program that is only extended by invitation to a few hundred people in the world, if that. Members include former US presidents, heads of state, and Fortune 500 CEOs, among others.

When senior management of Ritz-Carlton at the corporate level have been asked about the possibility of complimentary club access for Marriott “elites” at Ritz-Carlton, the response is “not for as long as I live.”

Having used the more exclusive club levels of top Ritz-Carlton properties, as well as the free access through status club levels at Hyatt, InterContinental, etc., I can say that it is absolutely better to have club level as a paid only option. It’s the only way to have the club level really have integrity as a premium product with a higher level of service. Otherwise, club levels invariably become havens for “elite status” guests who want to use them for the free F&B offerings and to use it as a workspace, often talking loudly on the telephone etc...

When it’s a paid only option, that costs >$100~ more per night over standard accommodation, the clubs are less crowded, and it weeds out the the type of guest who sits there for the free food. The entire experience is nicer, and it still is good value for the people who choose to pay for club level.
scented likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Ritz-Carlton does not give away club level to anyone routinely through upgrades/status/or otherwise. The only exceptions would be management deciding to extend club access on an exceptional basis, or for holder of the Cobalt Card, which is Ritz-Carlton’s most exclusive recognition program that is only extended by invitation to a few hundred people in the world, if that. Members include former US presidents, heads of state, and Fortune 500 CEOs, among others.

When senior management of Ritz-Carlton at the corporate level have been asked about the possibility of complimentary club access for Marriott “elites” at Ritz-Carlton, the response is “not for as long as I live.”

Having used the more exclusive club levels of top Ritz-Carlton properties, as well as the free access through status club levels at Hyatt, InterContinental, etc., I can say that it is absolutely better to have club level as a paid only option. It’s the only way to have the club level really have integrity as a premium product with a higher level of service. Otherwise, club levels invariably become havens for “elite status” guests who want to use them for the free F&B offerings and to use it as a workspace, often talking loudly on the telephone etc...

When it’s a paid only option, that costs >$100~ more per night over standard accommodation, the clubs are less crowded, and it weeds out the the type of guest who sits there for the free food. The entire experience is nicer, and it still is good value for the people who choose to pay for club level.
I totally agree. Mainly my point is that the OP isn't going to find what he's looking for, because true luxury hotels with club floors aren't giving it away to credit card promos.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Ritz-Carlton does not give away club level to anyone routinely through upgrades/status/or otherwise.
In the past Club-Access was included with Virtuoso-bookings in Berlin but not anymore.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:03 am

I totally agree. Mainly my point is that the OP isn't going to find what he's looking for, because true luxury hotels with club floors aren't giving it away to credit card promos.
Yes indeed. Nevertheless, I think Amex Platinum/Centurion, Citi Prestige, Marriott/Hyatt credit cards, and Chase Saphire Reserve can often be leveraged to add value at many good hotels. Particularly Centurion, for those who qualify, does indeed add value at MO, Pen, FS, Rosewood, R-C, etc...

Originally Posted by offerendum
In the past Club-Access was included with Virtuoso-bookings in Berlin but not anymore.
Yes there are a few examples of club being included via Virtuoso, etc... It could always also be negotiated by a STARS agent. But, it is certainly not normally given away liberally, thank God.
offerendum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.