Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Resources for redeeming economy FF miles?

Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA

I subscribe to many travel/miles/credit card sites but they all seem to cater to those willing to drop their miles for flights at the front of the plane. I would rather save up, for example, 180K miles for three economy (60K RT) to asia in economy than blow it on one trip in first class. Can anyone suggest websites which cater to us economy folks?
Old Jun 2, 2019, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by tiburontucson
I subscribe to many travel/miles/credit card sites but they all seem to cater to those willing to drop their miles for flights at the front of the plane. I would rather save up, for example, 180K miles for three economy (60K RT) to asia in economy than blow it on one trip in first class. Can anyone suggest websites which cater to us economy folks?
What information would you seek from such websites -- if they exist? Each FFP that still has a mileage chart lists the mileage requirements for various routes, and each airline's FT forum is pretty good about alerting readers to redemption changes and special offers.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
Originally Posted by tiburontucson
I think you've come to the right site; i.e. FlyerTalk. It's true that a large fraction of posts on the site involve upgrades. But I've been here 25 years, and never used miles on an upgrade, and have learned quite a bit about how to maximize earning potential for multiple economy tickets. But the downside is that earning potential is way down from 20 years ago, so the tricks that you'll learn here are sparse. You will also get tips here how to actually get the 60K RT tickets. It is harder than the airlines will have you believe.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
It's covered much less because most blogs focus on obtaining maximum value from points, and economy redemptions are usually low value relative to premium cabin. But there are a few blogs that cover sweet spots, like this: https://www.pointswithacrew.com/10-s...o-fly-economy/
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA
Thank you javabytes. A great recommendation. Pointswithacrew is precisely the type of site I looking for, a blogger who likes to stretch miles, as I do.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
In addition to trying to find uniquely good awards in economy class, I'd also suggest looking into premium cabin awards that:

1) cost relatively few miles and/or
2) offer great value due to the routing / stopover rules

E.g. you may find many blogs posts discussing how using 150k/155k Aeroplan miles offers great value for a North America - Asia award in business class, especially since you can include two stopovers in addition to your destination.

But the same logic applies to economy class. For just 75k miles you could fly from North America to Asia, with two stopovers along the way (potentially even with a routing via Europe).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.