Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

US Travel daily getaways 2019

US Travel daily getaways 2019

Old May 8, 2019, 1:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Now they have loaded Universal Orlando offers for May 28. Decent prices, a bit below the prices I normally get at undercovertourist.com
Old May 11, 2019, 11:30 am

Thanks OP for posting this. I've been waiting to get in on these offers since the deals ended last year!

I thought I'd post all the upcoming offers now so that we can discuss which ones represent good value for money (including cents per point calculation for those offers where you can acquire valuable travel points):

Monday May 13 (Universal Studios)Tuesday May 14 (Caesars Entertainment)Wednesday May 15 (Choice Hotels)Thursday May 16 (AVIS Car Rental)Friday May 17 (Loews Hotels & Resorts)Monday May 20 (Caesars Entertainment)Tuesday May 21 (Best Western Hotels & Resorts)Wednesday May 22 (Omni Hotels & Resorts)Thursday May 23 (Caesars Entertainment)Friday May 24 (Orbitz Hotels)Monday May 27 (Caesars Entertainment)Tuesday May 28 (Universal Parks)Wednesday May 29 (Hertz Car Rental)Thursday May 30 (SPMarriott Hotels & Resorts)Friday May 31 (Fairmont Hotels & Resorts)Monday June 3 (Hyatt Hotels & Resorts)Tuesday June 4 (Hilton Hotels & Resorts)
Old May 11, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Thanks OP for posting this. I've been waiting to get in on these offers since the deals ended last year!

I thought I'd post all the upcoming offers now so that we can discuss which ones represent good value for money (including cents per point calculation for those offers where you can acquire valuable travel points):
Thank you for taking the time to do the math. I missed out on Alamo last year so bought my 3 within seconds of going live this year.

I want to pick up some Choice points for planned Euro travel and will be a player for Hyatt but not expecting stock to last. I need to do more comparison shopping on cash vs points for planned Hilton stays, 0.5 cpp could be a deal if specifically applied. Nothing in my planned travel jumps out as an exceptional deal and I won't buy points speculatively at that price.
Old May 12, 2019, 6:05 pm

Did anybody notice no Hertz points this year? I guess too many favorable redemptions for one-ways out of expensive markets?
Old May 12, 2019, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Did anybody notice no Hertz points this year? I guess too many favorable redemptions for one-ways out of expensive markets?
Out of curiosity, do Herz redemptions via points or one day rental coupons accrue frequent flyer miles or must we pay for our car rental to earn that privilege?
Old May 13, 2019, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
They're there...May 29th. Around a nickel a point, so still a value opportunity on certain rentals.

Hertz and Hyatt are the two on this list that look halfway decent just from a CPP perspective. Some of the other hotel offers (Loews, OMNI) might be pretty good if you have a specific stay in mind.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by pinniped
They're there...May 29th. Around a nickel a point, so still a value opportunity on certain rentals.

Hertz and Hyatt are the two on this list that look halfway decent just from a CPP perspective. Some of the other hotel offers (Loews, OMNI) might be pretty good if you have a specific stay in mind.
The only problem is that you most likely are not able to buy them!

Even the marginally good ones, say Hhonors points at .05 cents per point, will sell out before many who are sitting at their computers at 1pm hitting refresh can buy them. Which is odd, as they have them frequently on sale at that point for weeks at a time, but through this daily getaways everyone goes crazy and buys the few packages available in seconds. I guess that the type of marketing this promotion encourages - few packages available to purchase, limited time and lots of press about it.

Oh well.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Out of curiosity, do Herz redemptions via points or one day rental coupons accrue frequent flyer miles or must we pay for our car rental to earn that privilege?
I have had redemptions via points accrue to ff miles in the past but as usually YMMV
Old May 14, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by smilee
The only problem is that you most likely are not able to buy them!
True... Although I do wonder as the overall lucrativeness of the offers has mostly declined, are there as many people (and bots) camping on the few good deals? Or have people just moved on from these promotions.

I for one will probably not even try. Unless I just happen to think about it at the right time. Or notice this thread a few minutes before a good offer is released.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Got the following deal! Price is great and since room is a Suite it should be ok even though it's Harrah's...
Old May 14, 2019, 3:48 pm

I'm skeptical of most Vegas deals because of hidden fees and bogus availability limitations, but if that one is really only blacked out for Super Bowl and New Year's, that's actually a pretty solid deal.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:48 am

Choice hotels just made a significant number of their more desirable overseas properties entirely unavailable for award bookings.

Anyone else nervous about a Choice devaluation immediately after their Choice point sale?

EDIT: It looks like the affected hotels were specifically made unavailable for award bookings starting two days ago on May 13th.

Last edited by mster; May 15, 2019 at 6:57 am
Old May 15, 2019, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by mster
Choice hotels just made a significant number of their more desirable overseas properties entirely unavailable for award bookings.

Anyone else nervous about a Choice devaluation immediately after their Choice point sale?

EDIT: It looks like the affected hotels were specifically made unavailable for award bookings starting two days ago on May 13th.
I think the big unknown with Choice is where you can use those points. Their global footprint is not the biggest and I've always struggled to find good quality redemptions using them. Perhaps someone on the forum could enlighten me on where I could find value with said points.

I've had luck with Best Western (Toronto airport hotel redemption for 8,000 points during promotion they ran), SPMarriott (AC Hotel NY Times Square on NYE for 35,000 points) and Hilton (5 nights at HGI Bali for 20,000 points). I haven't tried Hyatt yet but am tempted to pick up a stack of their points when their day comes given I'll be staying in Honolulu next year for several days to attend a conference and Hyatt has some 12,000 point redemptions there (works out to $130/night). The only downside with Hyatt is they don't have the 5th night free as SPMarriott and Hilton have (also I've got status at both SPMarriott and Hilton).

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 15, 2019, 7:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mster

All the Nordic Choice hotels have now been blocked as a redemption option using these Choice points. I've never before seen this happen with the Nordic Choice hotels before when looking at redeeming my Choice points. The hotels are still online for regular paid bookings, but not for bookings using these points.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'm skeptical of most Vegas deals because of hidden fees and bogus availability limitations, but if that one is really only blacked out for Super Bowl and New Year's, that's actually a pretty solid deal.
We did a Vegas deal last year and it was awesome, great deal and we did not have to pay resort fee. Worked out well.

On another note, very excited about today, love choice points!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.